Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Melanie Studio Verson

Started by Inkblades, Apr 01, 2009, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusinabowlofdirt

yepp.. its actually better when chino is quiet in the bridge and delgados effects is louder. pink pop festival 2006 is a perfect example. almost like a guitar solo  :P

Martin

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 02, 2009, 11:41 AM
yepp.. its actually better when chino is quiet in the bridge and delgados effects is louder. pink pop festival 2006 is a perfect example. almost like a guitar solo  :P

Amen, amen, amen.
I LOVE that version. It's wonderfull to just turn up reaaaallly loud. And then, after the effects and Chino being silent, the man goes 'owww...' and screams his lungs out. Yes. The whole thing rules.

Vesanic

Haha, we agree more and more, J. :D

Starz

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 02, 2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah I agree with this also. I swear I must watch that video everyday just to hear the bridge with Chino being quiet. I think on the album the effects are nice and subtle. If it were louder I think it would be too over powering. Just my opinion...

defTHE1s

Quote from: Timmy666 on Apr 02, 2009, 02:03 AM
Quote from: deftonekid on Apr 02, 2009, 12:31 AM
Quote from: Timmy666 on Apr 02, 2009, 12:00 AM
perhaps im in the minority but i think melanie isnt much of a good song... :-\
yeah it's like a b-side of rats x3, but I guess it's not a final version so probably the studio version will sound cooler.

right on
+1

but i liked it...

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

wither-I

i don't like rats, at all.

but i do have hopes for melanie

"coming into the nearness of distance"

wither-I

theis

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 02, 2009, 05:06 PM

+1

One of their worst songs to date.

wither-I

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Apr 02, 2009, 06:15 PM

+1

tru that. the drums should never slow down in the chorus!

overproduced.

Nebontha

QuoteQuote from: penguin in the desert on Today at 08:15 AM
Quote from: wither-I on Today at 07:06 AM

+1

tru that. the drums should never slow down in the chorus!

overproduced.
Indeed. Agreed. Fuck, just from reading the lyrics you can really tell it's definitely one of their worst songs, if not THE worst...and I just listened to the song 20 minutes ago, and almost wish I hadn't...lol
Melanie should be on the new album, if they make it a double disc, first disc pre-Chi's accident material, second disc post-accident material, or something like that.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Apr 02, 2009, 06:15 PM

the "i wont say nothing,nothing, not a fucking thing" part is fucking sick.. best part of the whole album!

rainnyx4

Rats is a great song, one of the best on SNW.  I'm not a big fan of Melanie since it sounds like a less ambitious Rats.  I do think the chorus in Melanie is better than Rats however and the bridge is pretty sick too.  But if the rest of the album is similar in effort, I'm hoping the delay of the album allows them to be a lot more productive.

Vesanic

I loved rats. One of my favorite from SNW. Really useful when I'm pissed or just when I want to listen to a heavy song. Death metal part in the bridge was really cool, and Chino pulls off some of his most hardcore screamings to date.

mxdam

can I have it somehow?  :)
(the studio version)

Vesanic

Quote from: mxdam on Apr 02, 2009, 08:29 PM
(the studio version)

Someone didn't get a joke.

deftonekid

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 02, 2009, 10:17 PM
Quote from: mxdam on Apr 02, 2009, 08:29 PM
(the studio version)

Someone didn't get a joke.
haha I can see that

downtownpony

a very clever joke, u had me goin for a while u piece of shit.

defTHE1s

Ratsx3! is one of the best of SNW
That's it.

And "Melanie" seems a lot to it, which I don't like/want.
Maybe that will be quite different in the album.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Bergerac

Rats is cool, mostly. I like the deep notes, the fact that it was something heavy (finally) and the effects that Frank is laying down during the chorus. It was a nice reprieve from the overall feeling of 'crap' throughout SNW.

I don't like the metal breakdown because its fucking stupid for a band like Deftones to do anything so cliched. Its the equivalent of 'flicking the horns' and I'd like to think that this band was above that garbage. They've never written anything like that, so why are they referencing it? Other than a piss poor attempt to define themselves as 'metal' to the dolts that listen to a large collective of less impressive music? The reason why Deftones are one of the few good metal bands is because they don't stagnate in the genre, standing around postulating about being 'ever more metal' with each new album, simultaneously doing absolutely fuck all to push said genre. They're comfortable going outside any genre they may be playing with.

I also didn't understand the necessity to write a song about Frances Farmer. Regardless of whether or not Moreno knew Nirvana had already covered the subject, it just illustrates the great problem with SNW. They were too busy escaping, and writing any old shit rather than release a better album where they were brave enough to confront their problems, as they'd previously done with 'Deftones'.

As for 'Melanie', it sounds like what 'Rapture' might've sounded like if it was bordering on 'any good'. The ascending note bridge after 2 minutes (2:30 in the video) however, is fucking abysmal, and its the type of cliched writing I would hope they'd avoid. As has already been said, 'Rats' was 'ambitious'. Melanie to me sounds like a less ambitious version of Rats, but more ambitious than Rapture. Its in the middle.

I'm going to be ever more critical with this new album, I know it. SNW was a vile tasting, warning sign. The first four albums were like drinking a nice milkshake, and all of a sudden, SNW was a clotted lump of snot when you were used to, and expecting, more milkshake.