Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Melanie Studio Verson

Started by Inkblades, Apr 01, 2009, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy666

SNW is a rad album, man.

wither-I

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 03, 2009, 11:10 AM
Rats is cool, mostly. I like the deep notes, the fact that it was something heavy (finally) and the effects that Frank is laying down during the chorus. It was a nice reprieve from the overall feeling of 'crap' throughout SNW.

I don't like the metal breakdown because its fucking stupid for a band like Deftones to do anything so cliched. Its the equivalent of 'flicking the horns' and I'd like to think that this band was above that garbage. They've never written anything like that, so why are they referencing it? Other than a piss poor attempt to define themselves as 'metal' to the dolts that listen to a large collective of less impressive music? The reason why Deftones are one of the few good metal bands is because they don't stagnate in the genre, standing around postulating about being 'ever more metal' with each new album, simultaneously doing absolutely fuck all to push said genre. They're comfortable going outside any genre they may be playing with.

I also didn't understand the necessity to write a song about Frances Farmer. Regardless of whether or not Moreno knew Nirvana had already covered the subject, it just illustrates the great problem with SNW. They were too busy escaping, and writing any old shit rather than release a better album where they were brave enough to confront their problems, as they'd previously done with 'Deftones'.

As for 'Melanie', it sounds like what 'Rapture' might've sounded like if it was bordering on 'any good'. The ascending note bridge after 2 minutes (2:30 in the video) however, is fucking abysmal, and its the type of cliched writing I would hope they'd avoid. As has already been said, 'Rats' was 'ambitious'. Melanie to me sounds like a less ambitious version of Rats, but more ambitious than Rapture. Its in the middle.

I'm going to be ever more critical with this new album, I know it. SNW was a vile tasting, warning sign. The first four albums were like drinking a nice milkshake, and all of a sudden, SNW was a clotted lump of snot when you were used to, and expecting, more milkshake.
haha good points man, and well written.

from what i recall in an old interview, chino was reading about frances the farmer when dreaming up track titles, and he mentions nirvana already covering those grounds, but he decided to just slap that titile on the sonng because it fit the sound. from what i remember...

i will def be very critical of this album as well. i have faith in it though. i think they'll be working with some strong emotions and i hope they dont "try too hard" cause then it will be overproduced garbo like rapture, and rats

"coming into the nearness of distance"

jesusinabowlofdirt

yeah i demand a good record .first of all - it has taken a long time and then they gotta compensate for doing a pretty bad record the last time(by deftones standards) i dont mind if deftones sound metal cliche a minute or 2 on one song on their 5th record,but the problem is they're not doing it any well... nothing really happens in the rats part thats mentioned. melanie on the other hand sound great from start to finish.lets se how the final studio version will turn out

buddyboy101

my fav part of rats is the breathing/gasping/shivering/shuttering sound at the very end

Inkblades

I think Eros will be better than SNW because:

1. They're working together as a band. SNW was pieced together oddly.
2. Terry Date.

jesusinabowlofdirt

3. They know in their heart that snw wasnt very good, so they got to perform this time

pixElsblUr

all good ponts, hope to hear some new shit this weekend at bamboozle

snw9

i was impressed with Saturday Night Wrist.i just deftones continue what they are good at doin..writing amazin songs
Code: [Select]

deftonekid

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 03, 2009, 11:10 AM
SNW was a vile tasting, warning sign. The first four albums were like drinking a nice milkshake, and all of a sudden, SNW was a clotted lump of snot when you were used to, and expecting, more milkshake.
so fucking true dude, we want more freakin milkshake!

defTHE1s

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 03, 2009, 09:36 PM
I think Eros will be better than SNW because:

1. They're working together as a band. SNW was pieced together oddly.
2. Terry Date.
Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 03, 2009, 09:47 PM
3. They know in their heart that snw wasnt very good, so they got to perform this time
Totally true.

But once again, they need to change the album's name. I don't like at all "Eros". But if at the end sounds really good, I don't care!

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

wither-I

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Apr 03, 2009, 09:29 PM
my fav part of rats is the breathing/gasping/shivering/shuttering sound at the very end
hahaha ive said the same thing before!

"coming into the nearness of distance"

shine down unshy

Rats..it's a bad ass song, the first time I ever saw deftones they opened up with it..first time they had ever played it..wow..just wow

[youtube=425,350]LzkFEydTqEk[/youtube]

pixElsblUr

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

samson simpson

Quote from: Vesanic on Apr 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
Talking about Frank's effects, I'd reallty love to hear a re-recorded version of WGTB with Frank's effects added. Just louder, you know, like he was doing on 2006's and 2007's tours.

i LOVE the live version

but the album version is just brutal

fuck effects....get a good audio output if you dont hear it man

and...
Quote from: Timmy666 on Apr 03, 2009, 07:44 PM
SNW is a rad album, man.

most def.

yeah

Personally I disagree completely with the critics about SNW. The entire record really conceptual lyrically. I admit, that for the first time of listening to, I skipped most of the tracks, including Rats!rats!rats!, but then I became addicted to the whole album.

Bergerac

Conceptual?

I appreciate that Moreno likes to dabble with ambiguity and the vague, but I think the problem with SNW is that he became too lazy in that regard, and spewed out lyrics that were so vague, that they had little to no recognisable substance. Though, that's my whole point - SNW as an album effort has no substance, because its an exercise in escapism.

Hole In The Earth is typical strained friendship material. Rapture is his escapism surfacing, but with lyrics like 'Different needles. The same kind of thread', its just uninterestingly written. Some of his worst lyrics to date; the metaphors are painful. Tracks like Mein, Rats and Xerces suffer from similar treatment. His contribution to PCP is minimal. Riviere and Kim Dracula are decent, but with Riviere, its the simple treading of old water, and Kim Dracula or - let's face it - THE EARTH's lyrics, would be more at home on their eponymous album. So you're left with Beware and Cherry Waves.

Throw a few stupid scats in the mix, and Combat could be a Jon Davis song.

darksoul

glad my vid is getting play still thanks shinedown!!!

beaverwithfishyshoes

who fuckin cares about lyrics its about the music anyway, getting a feeling of the sounds. snw is very good.

Bergerac

I fucking care about lyrics, so how about you quit trying to undermine the conversation just because you have nothing to say for yourself?

What would songs like ATF, Korea, Battleaxe be without their lyrics? What would be the point to a song like Feiticeira if you don't have the situation?