Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Melanie Studio Verson

Started by Inkblades, Apr 01, 2009, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy666

I agree the lyrics are overly ambigious but it beats being dry. Instead of "EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!" Chino could change it to "I'll slash your ass raw!!!!!"

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 07, 2009, 08:12 PM
Conceptual?

I appreciate that Moreno likes to dabble with ambiguity and the vague, but I think the problem with SNW is that he became too lazy in that regard, and spewed out lyrics that were so vague, that they had little to no recognisable substance. Though, that's my whole point - SNW as an album effort has no substance, because its an exercise in escapism.

Hole In The Earth is typical strained friendship material. Rapture is his escapism surfacing, but with lyrics like 'Different needles. The same kind of thread', its just uninterestingly written. Some of his worst lyrics to date; the metaphors are painful. Tracks like Mein, Rats and Xerces suffer from similar treatment. His contribution to PCP is minimal. Riviere and Kim Dracula are decent, but with Riviere, its the simple treading of old water, and Kim Dracula or - let's face it - THE EARTH's lyrics, would be more at home on their eponymous album. So you're left with Beware and Cherry Waves.

Throw a few stupid scats in the mix, and Combat could be a Jon Davis song.

I respect your position but I completely disagree. Yes, there are a few tracks on SNW that are a bit of a chore to get through but that usually only happens when I think about it too much while listening. I have always loved Chino's lyrics and I feel he has followed suit perfectly on SNW in regards to the quality of the other albums. His words have generally poured out so naturally that it feels like most of the phrases he sings could be culled straight from real life dialogue yet are immortalized by the melodies and deliveries to which they are attached. The only exceptions to this for me are "Mein" and "Xerces" but even then only slightly.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 09, 2009, 09:51 PM
I fucking care about lyrics, so how about you quit trying to undermine the conversation just because you have nothing to say for yourself?

What would songs like ATF, Korea, Battleaxe be without their lyrics? What would be the point to a song like Feiticeira if you don't have the situation?

to me, deftones is much about _how_ chino sings,the emotions he expresses, not so much about what about.
good lyrics can definitely make a song even better - no question,like spice to make food tastier, but i have to say all of those songs still would be good without those lyrics...even if they were at a low snw standard.instrumental songs can be awesome - proving lyrics isnt everything when it comes to music.just listen to mogwais "im jim morrison im dead" what a fucking masterpiece. not selecet start song thou, kind of pointless.instrumental deftones songs are stupid at the first idea

Penicks

i like how the lyrics are all jumbled and wtf-like, everyone has a different opinion on what the song is about then

take knife prty for example

everyone thought it was about suicide and shit, but to chino it's all about  extreme sexual desires

There Will Be Blood

jesusinabowlofdirt

yeah, why didnt u say that on loveline

There Will Be Blood

hey chino I like turtles

Bergerac

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 10, 2009, 06:32 PM
i like how the lyrics are all jumbled and wtf-like, everyone has a different opinion on what the song is about then

take knife prty for example

everyone thought it was about suicide and shit, but to chino it's all about  extreme sexual desires

Yeah, but the Knife Prty lyrics are actually good, and contextually speaking, its not on SNW.

Timmy666

Extreme sexual desires? Knife Prty is about heroine. "My knife is sharp and chrome, come see inside my bones"

to me it is anyways.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: Timmy666 on Apr 11, 2009, 03:52 AM
Extreme sexual desires? Knife Prty is about heroine. "My knife is sharp and chrome, come see inside my bones"

to me it is anyways.

Thus proving the point about the ambiguously interpretive nature of Chino's lyrics. :-)

And where can I find more pics of the chic in your sig?

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

godin

every deftones lyric is about sex with horny latino men. no questions, no interpretations. I AM RIGHT. CHino told me himself..shhh
Dingus.

jesusinabowlofdirt

so in the song cant even breathe, it really should be "fuck HIM just one more time" ?