Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

New article that talks to Abe (mostly about Chi, Sergio Vega, Eros, etc.)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 04, 2009, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassdomino

I'm excited to hear what a new bass player does to the music, but fucking hell Chi wake up!

Inkblades

My thoughts:

The Chi situation is depressing. I mean, you watch him in interviews, and there's so much life there. Intelligence,  humor, warmth. You watch him in shows, and there's so much energy and passion. I just want to see him back to how he should be.

The whole "we have too much material to choose what should be on Eros" dilemma is interesting. They can either put it all on one album, or they can release the stuff with Chi and the stuff with Sergio separately. So, that would mean release Eros as it was originally intended, and then the Sergio stuff as an EP or something. It's important that the material meshes.

wither-I

they SHOULD release ALL of the material they've written. it would do chi's work on eros (pre-accident of course) great honor!

they should do a double album. i mean shit, it just needs to be mixed and mastered. or release two seperate records. or an EP.
SOMETHING. it would be a shame to let the music they recorded prior to the accident go to the trash bin. please dont fuck this up deftones...

"coming into the nearness of distance"

wither-I

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2009, 02:49 AM
The whole "we have too much material to choose what should be on Eros" dilemma is interesting. They can either put it all on one album, or they can release the stuff with Chi and the stuff with Sergio separately. So, that would mean release Eros as it was originally intended, and then the Sergio stuff as an EP or something. It's important that the material meshes.

very very important. you got it friend.
they cant let it go to waste!

"coming into the nearness of distance"

defTHE1s

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 04, 2009, 02:59 AM
they SHOULD release ALL of the material they've written. it would do chi's work on eros (pre-accident of course) great honor!

they should do a double album. i mean shit, it just needs to be mixed and mastered. or release two seperate records. or an EP.
SOMETHING. it would be a shame to let the music they recorded prior to the accident go to the trash bin. please dont fuck this up deftones...

You've said it. Don't thrash it, Deftones! Your's fans are praying!

Quote from: Abe Cunningham
"Well, I don't want to say 'brutal,' that's such an overdone word ... but it's some pretty heavy music."
YES! Eros will Kick ass, I'm pretty sure!
C'mon Chi! We Need YOU!

Nice reading, by the way. Thanks for posting this article buddy.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Bergerac

rock_n_frost

"Eros," initially due this spring but now pushed to a probable October release.''

wth

"Chi has a unique style of playing, this cool flow where he slides into things or deliberately falls behind the beat. Bringing Sergio in has kept us on our toes because it has led us to take a new look at songs that are sometimes 15 years old – and in some cases pick them apart and fix things now that we did wrong then."

well done sergio
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Starz

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 04, 2009, 07:43 AM
"Chi has a unique style of playing, this cool flow where he slides into things or deliberately falls behind the beat. Bringing Sergio in has kept us on our toes because it has led us to take a new look at songs that are sometimes 15 years old – and in some cases pick them apart and fix things now that we did wrong then."

So what does this mean then? That they're going to play old songs a bit differently live because Sergio has come along and made them sound "better"?

Sam Cassel

Having too many songs to choose from is definitely a good problem to have. I'd definitely like to hear it all. If not a double record, then maybe release two records in a year like System of a Down(although I didn't like the records, I thought it was a neato idea). Or that album/EP idea, with the best songs on the album and the leftover songs on the EP.

I do hope they keep the flow, the structure of the album in mind. They could mix songs from both sessions, as long as it seems to flow together. I thought their first three records flowed beautifully, but their last two didn't as much.

Reading 'its pretty heavy music' is very, very good news to me.

shine down unshy

Quote from: Starz on Apr 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 04, 2009, 07:43 AM

So what does this mean then? That they're going to play old songs a bit differently live because Sergio has come along and made them sound "better"?

Pshh..that's what it sounds like.  If that's what they're doing...KINDA fucked up

White Wrist

i had an impression that...EROS was done(or almost), before chi´s accident.

they should release the album like that...with chi´s work on it. period.

Sam Cassel

I think they said in the otherwise crappy Loveline 'interview' that Chi's accident lead them emotionally to do some more music, or something. Some songs might be about Chi. Of course, we won't know until this thing is released in fucking October(if it actually is released then).

If the Deftones don't sign with a major label when their contract is up, they could release albums on the internet the day they are done like Reznor is doing. Labels usually wait a few months when albums are done to get promos, videos, and concerts lined up. Album could be done next month and it would still be released at the end of the year.

Although, without major label pressure, this band may never get an album done...

rock_n_frost

Quote from: White Wrist on Apr 04, 2009, 01:04 PM
i had an impression that...EROS was done(or almost), before chi´s accident.

they should release the album like that...with chi´s work on it. period.

I guess all they do is making a few new music and another touches (with sergio) to the whole album..

Thats not a bad thing..its good. But OCTOBER ?!... They gotta be kidding..
This record supposed to release at 2008..

@sam cassel, nice post noobie ;)
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

White Wrist

Quote from: Sam Cassel on Apr 04, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think they said in the otherwise crappy Loveline 'interview' that Chi's accident lead them emotionally to do some more music, or something. Some songs might be about Chi. Of course, we won't know until this thing is released in fucking October(if it actually is released then).

If the Deftones don't sign with a major label when their contract is up, they could release albums on the internet the day they are done like Reznor is doing. Labels usually wait a few months when albums are done to get promos, videos, and concerts lined up. Album could be done next month and it would still be released at the end of the year.

Although, without major label pressure, this band may never get an album done...

deftones are not a BIG band like NIN. Reznor has some power that deftones does not have.

NIN, radiohead, etc, can live like that. Because they have millions of fans...and full SOLD OUT shows with thousands of ppl.

Hell_Tanner

The situation with Vega who would actually record and release something with them is weird.

Sam Cassel

Quote from: White Wrist on Apr 04, 2009, 07:11 PM
Quote from: Sam Cassel on Apr 04, 2009, 01:43 PM

deftones are not a BIG band like NIN. Reznor has some power that deftones does not have.

NIN, radiohead, etc, can live like that. Because they have millions of fans...and full SOLD OUT shows with thousands of ppl.

True. They probably wouldn't do too well. I just hate that period of waiting when the album's done but the the label just sits on it.

rock_n_frost, whats wrong with my post? I'm sure people have done some crazier speculating on this site than I did.

Hidalgo

i didnt know they were recording stuff with Vega. looks like he's their new bassist. writing new stuff. interesting. a double album would be great but the odds of Chino recording vocals for a double album are virtually 0

Hell_Tanner

I wouldn't give Vega that much space, he should be there to fill in live, no more. This is unsettling.