Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

New article that talks to Abe (mostly about Chi, Sergio Vega, Eros, etc.)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 04, 2009, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

Quote from: Hell_Tanner on Apr 05, 2009, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't give Vega that much space, he should be there to fill in live, no more. This is unsettling.
i would have thought that too, but hearing he's recording stuff with them for the new album makes me think he's in. maybe just unofficial like frank was for years

Starz

I wouldn't go that far. A soon as Chi wakes up he's back in the band. Sergio is filling in for Chi and always will be. Obviously this Chi incident is going to make the rest of the band want to write more songs as it is a huge influence to them, life changing thing. But I don't think Abe worded it right in that interview. I can't see the band playing old songs differently live because Sergio came along and made them sound "better".

The new album will be a mixture of Chi and Sergio playing bass. I can't think of anything worse than releasing a double album worth of songs. Just release an album of the best songs you have written, no double album bullshit! That is what Chi WOULD want regarldess of who is playing bass.

Hidalgo

well obviously if Chi ever gets back to the point where he can play again he's back in, no questions asked.

Hell_Tanner

Right, Vega should be there just to fill in. I think, in a way, maybe it's ridiculous but he hasn't "earned" the right to become a real member or go as far as recording (an album with both bass player would be SO wrong), he hasn't paid his dues, Chi did, he's been there since the beginning. Of course, he would be cool with it, the guy is so good hearted but for the band, as an entity, after so many years, Chi's replacement as a recording member TOO is simply wrong just because one of the members is unable to play his part for the moment.
In my opinion, they should just go on the road with Vega, THAT is ok, play their ass off, raise some funds for their brother (they haven't done much so far, do something for God's sake!). Frankly, as much as I want to hear the new stuff, I don't think it's the right time for Eros, wether they release what they'd come up with Chi or the the additional stuff with Vega, the timing and situation is just not right. Time will be right for Eros when Chi will be at least able to walk and speak.

Hidalgo

yea, i dont know if it's cool to have Vega on the album either. if they wanted to make new songs, &  play bass themselves for some, that would seem more right than this. all in all, i have no real problem with them recording with him, it's just so soon. i'll still buy the album for sure, & i'm sure a lot of Chi's stuff will be there

and yea, they need to play some fund rasier shows, & see if maybe korn would do one with them, if not just headline their own

mandalay

Ya'll gotta keep reality in mind.  There's a chance that Chi might never wake up.  So what are the Deftones supposed to do?  Wait indefinitely and starve?  Keep in mind that this band is their only source of income.  It's not like they have normal jobs and then do Deftones as a hobby.  They have bills too and need to continue working in order to support their families and in order to keep this band alive.  If they just wait for Chi (for who knows how long), people could very well forget about the band and move on...

I think the whole thing is a sensitive issue and the tones are treating it respectfully and with honor to Cheng.  It's not like they put themselves in this situation.  They're making the best of it and we gotta support them.

jesusinabowlofdirt

yeah its a sensitive issue,my first opinion was they got on to fast since the accident....  but there is a chance he never wake up.... if he wakes up.... theres a chance he is not fully recovered.... if he is fully recovered he mabye not want to be in the band anymore and want to do something else more relaxed. he may not have the strength to tour around the world anymore. there are many reasons for them to continue. all this positive thinking/praying thing  is good, but it cant get just get loose out of hand away into the clouds,if reality then burst that bubble - the fall will be harder..  im more for reality thoughts. i hope a person can be in reality and still be sensitive about it in some way

rock_n_frost

Comeo n people, this album had to released at 2008...
Chi is in a coma for 5 months..
What the hell is wrong with somebody else did the final touches (may be a few changes) on the bass parts of the album ?
They need to publish that album, its not hard to understand. You are thinking like they kicked Chi away..
You should thank to Sergio for doing that..
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

White Wrist

this is a really weird situation.

sergio...should just play the songs live.

all the album should be with chi´s work. like i read here..."looks like vega is the new bass player".

lnkjuice

Quote from: mandalay on Apr 05, 2009, 08:36 AM
Ya'll gotta keep reality in mind.  There's a chance that Chi might never wake up.  So what are the Deftones supposed to do?  Wait indefinitely and starve?  Keep in mind that this band is their only source of income.  It's not like they have normal jobs and then do Deftones as a hobby.  They have bills too and need to continue working in order to support their families and in order to keep this band alive.  If they just wait for Chi (for who knows how long), people could very well forget about the band and move on...

I think the whole thing is a sensitive issue and the tones are treating it respectfully and with honor to Cheng.  It's not like they put themselves in this situation.  They're making the best of it and we gotta support them.
Totally. Nothing to add.
--
www.deftnz.net
www.willhaven.fr

Timmy666

Chi material and now Vega material. Talk about clusterfuck. Come on, Tones, this isn't difficult: RELEASE ALL OF IT.

wither-I

Quote from: mandalay on Apr 05, 2009, 08:36 AM

and release all of the recorded material :)

"coming into the nearness of distance"

rock_n_frost

Quote from: White Wrist on Apr 05, 2009, 12:37 PM
all the album should be with chi´s work. like i read here..."looks like vega is the new bass player".

thats fanaticism..
no sense..

if sergio versions is better so let it be..
chi would be pride

Penicks

some of you people really deserve to be slapped on the cock

i mean

it's a new fucking deftones album

you getting this?

NEW.DEFTONES.ALBUM.

the sooner they release it, the better

i cannot wait.

wither-I

yes but the build up can ruin via high expectation. like snw.

but im still super pumped and have a feeling it will be well rounded and true sounding.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

rock_n_frost

they could shit on all album...

but i want the song which is the begining music of the ''deftones in studio'' videos..
its enough for me.....

i think its gonna be my second digital bath

oneloveforchi

Quote from: White Wrist on Apr 04, 2009, 01:04 PM
i had an impression that...EROS was done(or almost), before chi´s accident.

they should release the album like that...with chi´s work on it. period.

Of course you know I agree.

www.OneLoveForChi.com - Fundraising Site For Chi Cheng, Deftones Bass Player

Do you search the web? If so, you could be raising $0.02 for Chi Cheng! Go To: http://isearch.igive.com/?s=28&c=51176

oneloveforchi

Quote from: Hell_Tanner on Apr 05, 2009, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't give Vega that much space, he should be there to fill in live, no more. This is unsettling.

ya.....  :'(
www.OneLoveForChi.com - Fundraising Site For Chi Cheng, Deftones Bass Player

Do you search the web? If so, you could be raising $0.02 for Chi Cheng! Go To: http://isearch.igive.com/?s=28&c=51176

goldpony

two albums worth of material....SWEET! and for everyone poo-pooing vega, get over it. chi will be on the record and get his props but whats so wrong about a new influence? when chi comes back, they just incorporate those songs to chis style. This has worked well for bands like RHCP who have had a revolving door of guitarists with hugely different styles.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Xedora

Chi's bass playing was never anything I couldn't live without.

don't get me wrong, I hope someday he makes a recovery,

but his playing doesn't make or break deftones' sound. I don't care who plays bass on the new album, as long as someone does and it finally gets releases.

I'm pretty sour that they didn't ask me to fill in, as a matter of fact.