Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

How do you currently feel about the Tones's upcoming album?

Started by Deftones-argentina, Apr 11, 2009, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock_n_frost

Quote from: defTHE1s on May 13, 2009, 04:31 AM
do you know the girl indeed??
if so, she's gorgeous!

do you have a girlfriend dude ?

im just askin :)
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Bergerac

For all my praising of the Deftones album, Moana's the one thing I think that is wrong with it. It's a decent closer song (though I think its the weakest of the 5 they've offically released), but its a sudden concept song on an album bereft of any concept. This 'superflybitch on stage' comes out of nowhere and the sudden displacement of context gives the feeling that the song has been tacked on the end. I think a good 'general' song was needed to fit with the rest of the album. That's the great thing about most of the context of Deftones. There's nothing specific about it at all, and the vagueness of Moreno's writing had suddenly shown another dynamic. The album's about mood, and avoids specifics. If you go through all of the tracks one by one, and look at the lyrical content, all of the description is minimal, which gives a feeling of being swept up in the moment, rather than being reflective.

For this reason, I think that Lovers would've been a better closer for Deftones. It also would've been more of an uplifting moment than anything on SNW was, because it'd be like the light at the end of the tunnel, and the album would end on a high note of sorts. Lou Reed's Transformer album did a similar thing, where the whole album documents his heartbreak and halfway through the final song, Goodnight Ladies (misleading even with it's title), you realise that he's in love again and the cycle continues, and it wasn't the continuation of misery you thought it was probably going to be.

I agree that Moana may be a better musical fit after Anniversary's sound. but I think they would've been better off ending with a song that continued the same subdued use of imagery as all the other songs and that was more about feeling, like Lovers was. With Moana, I think it would've been better if she was just a stranger walking down the street or some shit like in the Bloody Cape video. You know, 'doo a diddy diddy dum diddy doo' and all that shit. I think it's the whole idea of her being on stage that I don't like, because you'd think the rest of the album would have been a prelude to that moment, given how important she immediately becomes .

I listen to that track and I'm like 'Who the fuck is this, and why am I supposed to care about her all of a sudden? You're singing about her like you have been the whole time, but you haven't'.

rainnyx4

I've said it a million times, S/T was really lazy.  There were some really great ideas, but a lot of the songs sound either unfinished or like rehashes of other songs or reuse of ideas.  Moana fits the rehash/reused criteria perfectly.  I mean, how many times did the band think they could use a two chord strumming intro/verse?  Or how many times are they going to play the intro/verse riff as a substitute for a bridge?  I don't think the Deftones have really ever written a "bad" song, but they can be incredibly lazy and it showed on S/T.  Moana has a great vibe to it, but it's definitely their weakest closer.

Nebontha

QuoteFor all my praising of the Deftones album, Moana's the one thing I think that is wrong with it. It's a decent closer song (though I think its the weakest of the 5 they've offically released), but its a sudden concept song on an album bereft of any concept. This 'superflybitch on stage' comes out of nowhere and the sudden displacement of context gives the feeling that the song has been tacked on the end. I think a good 'general' song was needed to fit with the rest of the album. That's the great thing about most of the context of Deftones. There's nothing specific about it at all, and the vagueness of Moreno's writing had suddenly shown another dynamic. The album's about mood, and avoids specifics. If you go through all of the tracks one by one, and look at the lyrical content, all of the description is minimal, which gives a feeling of being swept up in the moment, rather than being reflective.

For this reason, I think that Lovers would've been a better closer for Deftones. It also would've been more of an uplifting moment than anything on SNW was, because it'd be like the light at the end of the tunnel, and the album would end on a high note of sorts. Lou Reed's Transformer album did a similar thing, where the whole album documents his heartbreak and halfway through the final song, Goodnight Ladies (misleading even with it's title), you realise that he's in love again and the cycle continues, and it wasn't the continuation of misery you thought it was probably going to be.

I agree that Moana may be a better musical fit after Anniversary's sound. but I think they would've been better off ending with a song that continued the same subdued use of imagery as all the other songs and that was more about feeling, like Lovers was. With Moana, I think it would've been better if she was just a stranger walking down the street or some shit like in the Bloody Cape video. You know, 'doo a diddy diddy dum diddy doo' and all that shit. I think it's the whole idea of her being on stage that I don't like, because you'd think the rest of the album would have been a prelude to that moment, given how important she immediately becomes .

I listen to that track and I'm like 'Who the fuck is this, and why am I supposed to care about her all of a sudden? You're singing about her like you have been the whole time, but you haven't'.
I was thinking almost the same thing about Lovers, before I even read the second paragraph of your post.
Damone, for some reason, is my favourite Deftones' album-closing track.

QuoteTopic: How do you currently feel about the Tones's upcoming album?
Still stoked as a bloke.  It's no joke.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

Vesanic

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic on May 13, 2009, 08:14 PM

Yup, I've fucked her last night.

real lucky bastard

Quote from: defTHE1s on May 13, 2009, 06:09 PM

actually no at the moment... :(

i see  ;D
dont stay alone dude....find someone

Quote from: Nebontha on May 13, 2009, 07:49 PM

Damone, for some reason, is my favourite Deftones' album-closing track.

that and fist..

Vesanic

Pink Maggit and Riviere were two good closing songs, too.

rock_n_frost

yeah..........so i guess i just dont like moana at all...

thats the result

Nebontha

QuoteDamone, for some reason, is my favourite Deftones' album-closing track.

that and fist..
QuotePink Maggit and Riviere were two good closing songs, too.
yes yes and yes. Damone is just my favorite one, Moana being least favorite obviously... I'm too lazy to order/classify the other ones....not that anyone cares anyway LOL
Quoteyeah..........so i guess i just dont like moana at all...

thats the result
I don't necessarily DISlike it, just need to be in a certain mood to really appreciate it...which is very rare...
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

defTHE1s

Quote from: Nebontha on May 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
I was thinking almost the same thing about Lovers, before I even read the second paragraph of your post.
jaja.. the same for me... i though the same  ;)

Quote from: rock_n_frost on May 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on May 13, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yup, I've fucked her last night.
real FUCKING LUCKY bastard
Quote from: defTHE1s on May 13, 2009, 06:09 PM
actually no at the moment... :(
i see  ;D
dont stay alone dude....find someone
lucky vesanic, but i don't believe you jaja  8)

and never alone, no girlfriend but many good friends (girls, of course  ;D)

Quote from: Vesanic on May 13, 2009, 08:47 PM
Pink Maggit and Riviere were two good closing songs, too.
Well, my top of closers are:
including hidden tracks or added/bonus tracks:
1. The Boys Republic
2. Moana
3. Damone
4. Fist
5. Riviere

without hidden tracks:
1. Pink maggit
2. Fireal
2. Mx
2. Moana
3. Riviere
i know that there is a draw at 2nd place, but seriously those 3 songs are REALLY FUCKING AWESOME EACH ONE!!!  8) 8)

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Nebontha

Quote1. The Boys Republic
2. Moana
3. Damone
4. Fist
5. Riviere

without hidden tracks:
1. Pink maggit
2. Fireal
2. Mx
2. Moana
3. Riviere

that is one complete list, ese
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

No More Sugar

Quote from: Bergerac on May 13, 2009, 06:20 PM
For all my praising of the Deftones album, Moana's the one thing I think that is wrong with it. It's a decent closer song (though I think its the weakest of the 5 they've offically released), but its a sudden concept song on an album bereft of any concept. This 'superflybitch on stage' comes out of nowhere and the sudden displacement of context gives the feeling that the song has been tacked on the end. I think a good 'general' song was needed to fit with the rest of the album. That's the great thing about most of the context of Deftones. There's nothing specific about it at all, and the vagueness of Moreno's writing had suddenly shown another dynamic. The album's about mood, and avoids specifics. If you go through all of the tracks one by one, and look at the lyrical content, all of the description is minimal, which gives a feeling of being swept up in the moment, rather than being reflective.

tl;dr
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

rock_n_frost

i love nebontha :)
also
defthe1s
vesanic
deftonekid
peniks, lithium.....
.......i can keep go

Penicks

you can't even write my name correctly you saggy cunt

rock_n_frost

its confusing.......
you know i never want to be friend with a penis..
when i write your name, i am just getting scared

defTHE1s

Quote from: rock_n_frost on May 14, 2009, 06:56 AM
i love nebontha :)
also
defthe1s
vesanic
deftonekid
peniks, lithium.....
.......i can keep go

jaja.. too sad you're not a girl .. jajaja

just joking...

rock_n_frost

if i were a girl i would give my pussy to you all, you worth it !...

- i hope that would change girls mind and they would give us in a good sex party -

....btw, what the hell was that thread about ?

Nebontha

Quotei love nebontha Smiley
also
defthe1s
vesanic
deftonekid
peniks, lithium.....
.......i can keep go
Wow that's funny, just a few weeks ago I thought you hated me or something LOL.
I like you too, in a brotherly way of course.  I don't know about the others, I can not and will not speak for them.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

No More Sugar

Quote from: rock_n_frost on May 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
if i were a girl i would give my pussy to you all, you worth it !...

- i hope that would change girls mind and they would give us in a good sex party -

....btw, what the hell was that thread about ?

your pussy is about to get stretched buddy, i gotta stick it in. it's the only way...
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.