Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

How do you currently feel about the Tones's upcoming album?

Started by Deftones-argentina, Apr 11, 2009, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 14, 2009, 12:17 AM
Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 12, 2009, 08:32 PM
Quote from: deftonekid on Apr 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
It took me several months to like S/T and now I love it.

i really dont get this "it takes months of listenings" crap,.. when i first heard the entire s/t album my jaw dropped to the floor... and at the same time i got worried... i thought "no, this is so fucking good i cant believe it, now there gonna be BIG for REAL and be all over the place" ....but that didnt happen. it got good reviews but then i saw fan sites dissing it and i was like "huh..? its fucking better than white pony ffs!"

Well after the progression of White Pony, it was a case of 'Holy shit, where are this band going?'. White Pony was the band hitting the stratosphere. and when I heard Deftones, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't know how to feel about it either. I knew on some level I dug the sound of it, without really articulating in my head that it was 'good', because to be honest I didn't KNOW it was good back then. I was a bit estranged from the album at first; White Pony was a hedonistic exploration, future proof and downright NEW, the band were perched to fly off into exciting new areas, and along comes Deftones, and its this fucking dark, fractured record. I kept listening to it, and the more I did, the more I looked into the lyrics and the sounds, it became apparent that Deftones was a derailing from the logical progression (following WP), and that this band had been hit with a sledgehammer sometime after Pony. On some level I sensed disappointment within me that their White Pony direction had ground to a halt, and that this band had maybe lucked out. Still there was something about the record that kept me listening. It was something I was determined to figure out. Was this record great and was I still rightfully listening for a reason, or was I right in thinking that this band's sudden change was a bad sign? Yet, for those who eventually understood, it wasn't disappointing at all. On some dirty, rotten, palm rubbing level, the band's personal issues were fortunate, because they'd laid those issues out on the record and produced arguably the best shit they'd laid down. I came to understand that it was actually the best direction they could've taken. Why? Well, think of it like this.

White Pony is standing in a pristine room, in front of a beautiful glass statuette of the Virgin Mary, viewing it through stoned eyes, and Deftones is the appearance of a crack across her face that you don't remember happening when you wake up the next morning. Its the acknowledgement of a fucking travesty. Its something you didn't see coming, yet you know for a fact you were witness to it at the time. Shit changes, you don't see the signs, and you're left to pick up the pieces, knowing full well that the broken pieces only got there with the added influence of you and your choices.

As exciting as White Pony was, it was kind of soulless - in some ways that's part of its hedonistic charm, but I had this new album, and it was a fucking soul record. Deftones could be played amongst Motown shit and fit right in. Ha ha. When it transpired what the band had gone through in that period, it all makes sense that Deftones was the fallout. There's nothing cerebral to Deftones, in comparison to WP, which is all very intellectual. Deftones was about heart, but it wasn't a record that was easy to get because that sense of soul came out of left field, given what had just gone before it (WP). So in that regard, it took a while to understand Deftones. When you do understand Deftones, its their best album.

I honestly believe that it was easy for fans back then to listen to Deftones and not get it without coming to understand the reasons for it. I also believe that whoever still doesn't rate Deftones, still doesn't appreciate the gravity of the record. I've said this before, but Deftones is their most painful, most heartfelt record. Its the one that the people who really fucking LOVE what this band have done, appreciate the most, because its the one time they really wore their hearts on their sleeves for the sake of the music. Its fucking wonderful that a band could go from the crazy experimental fronts of WP to such a stripped down approach of Deftones, and write better shit.

That's the difference between Deftones and SNW for me. SNW has little heart, and none of the intellectual stimulation of WP either. From the Ezrin shit I was hoping to get a good mix. With stuff like Buffalo, it seemed like the heart of Deftones was going to remain, but we were going to get some fresh soundscapes, and SNW would be the progessive train being put back on to the tracks after the interesting, fulfilling experience of Deftones. Not surprising really, Buffalo is quite frankly, more of a Deftones-era track gone semi-prog, which is exactly what I wanted next.

Shit didn't happen though. It'd better happen with the new one. This band are better when they write in the moment, and the wait for this new one is making me nervious.

wow really great read, your shit should be in magazines, reviews, ...stuff like that.maybe it is. took so long to read even my screen saver hit :)

i always thought of s/t as the next natural step from white pony... with similarities but better: wgtb=elite, lucky you=teenager and bloody cape with that heavy hard hitting bouncing style to it was the new korea to me. but your right,the record is more stripped down. i dont necessarily think one have to know what they been through as a band during the writing of the record to love it but i guess it helps.the record is more brutal thrashy dark evil and emotional... more raw and honest... listen to it is like beeing sucked into a black hole of misery. white pony was more  fancy art,oh la di da. (still good thou. at that time it was great)
i think they (chino) rejected buffalo because it was so depressing and in the same way st were and he was sick of putting dark stuff on records and wanted to do something new..but that something new was something really shitty. it was bad times for the band during snw too and they felt they wanted to do something more cheerful. but that just aint deftones man.

Quote from: Bergerac on Apr 14, 2009, 12:17 AM
Deftones is their most painful, most heartfelt record. Its the one that the people who really fucking LOVE what this band have done, appreciate the most, because its the one time they really wore their hearts on their  sleeves for the sake of the music. Its fucking wonderful that a band could go from the crazy experimental fronts of WP to such a stripped down approach of Deftones, and write better shit.

word.

rock_n_frost

Quote from: mr.sinister on Apr 14, 2009, 06:35 AM
Quote from: deftonekid on Apr 14, 2009, 12:57 AM
Quote from: oneloveforchi on Apr 14, 2009, 12:05 AM
the tones myspace page truly needs some love...it has turned into whore central.. all you see is comments from other people whoring themselves out BS.. "add me" blah blah...
haha so true. lame.

yeah...but....its kinda good, i really like to see that chicks who wants absolute sex
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Nebontha

Well after the progression of White Pony, it was a case of 'Holy shit, where are this band going?'. White Pony was the band hitting the stratosphere. and when I heard Deftones, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't know how to feel about it either. I knew on some level I dug the sound of it, without really articulating in my head that it was 'good', because to be honest I didn't KNOW it was good back then. I was a bit estranged from the album at first; White Pony was a hedonistic exploration, future proof and downright NEW, the band were perched to fly off into exciting new areas, and along comes Deftones, and its this fucking dark, fractured record. I kept listening to it, and the more I did, the more I looked into the lyrics and the sounds, it became apparent that Deftones was a derailing from the logical progression (following WP), and that this band had been hit with a sledgehammer sometime after Pony. On some level I sensed disappointment within me that their White Pony direction had ground to a halt, and that this band had maybe lucked out. Still there was something about the record that kept me listening. It was something I was determined to figure out. Was this record great and was I still rightfully listening for a reason, or was I right in thinking that this band's sudden change was a bad sign? Yet, for those who eventually understood, it wasn't disappointing at all. On some dirty, rotten, palm rubbing level, the band's personal issues were fortunate, because they'd laid those issues out on the record and produced arguably the best shit they'd laid down. I came to understand that it was actually the best direction they could've taken. Why? Well, think of it like this.

White Pony is standing in a pristine room, in front of a beautiful glass statuette of the Virgin Mary, viewing it through stoned eyes, and Deftones is the appearance of a crack across her face that you don't remember happening when you wake up the next morning. Its the acknowledgement of a fucking travesty. Its something you didn't see coming, yet you know for a fact you were witness to it at the time. Shit changes, you don't see the signs, and you're left to pick up the pieces, knowing full well that the broken pieces only got there with the added influence of you and your choices.

As exciting as White Pony was, it was kind of soulless - in some ways that's part of its hedonistic charm, but I had this new album, and it was a fucking soul record. Deftones could be played amongst Motown shit and fit right in. Ha ha. When it transpired what the band had gone through in that period, it all makes sense that Deftones was the fallout. There's nothing cerebral to Deftones, in comparison to WP, which is all very intellectual. Deftones was about heart, but it wasn't a record that was easy to get because that sense of soul came out of left field, given what had just gone before it (WP). So in that regard, it took a while to understand Deftones. When you do understand Deftones, its their best album.

I honestly believe that it was easy for fans back then to listen to Deftones and not get it without coming to understand the reasons for it. I also believe that whoever still doesn't rate Deftones, still doesn't appreciate the gravity of the record. I've said this before, but Deftones is their most painful, most heartfelt record. Its the one that the people who really fucking LOVE what this band have done, appreciate the most, because its the one time they really wore their hearts on their sleeves for the sake of the music. Its fucking wonderful that a band could go from the crazy experimental fronts of WP to such a stripped down approach of Deftones, and write better shit.

That's the difference between Deftones and SNW for me. SNW has little heart, and none of the intellectual stimulation of WP either. From the Ezrin shit I was hoping to get a good mix. With stuff like Buffalo, it seemed like the heart of Deftones was going to remain, but we were going to get some fresh soundscapes, and SNW would be the progessive train being put back on to the tracks after the interesting, fulfilling experience of Deftones. Not surprising really, Buffalo is quite frankly, more of a Deftones-era track gone semi-prog, which is exactly what I wanted next.

Shit didn't happen though. It'd better happen with the new one. This band are better when they write in the moment, and the wait for this new one is making me nervious.
Wow I think that was the best, as well as one of the most accurate, reviews of post-y2k Deftones albums/material I ever read.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 14, 2009, 01:39 PM
yeah...but....its kinda good, i really like to see that chicks who wants absolute sex

Wow I think that was the best, as well as one of the most accurate, reviews of deftones sites I ever read.

oneloveforchi

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 14, 2009, 01:39 PM

Wow I think that was the best, as well as one of the most accurate, reviews of deftones sites I ever read.

lmaO  ;D
www.OneLoveForChi.com - Fundraising Site For Chi Cheng, Deftones Bass Player

Do you search the web? If so, you could be raising $0.02 for Chi Cheng! Go To: http://isearch.igive.com/?s=28&c=51176

Nebontha

wtf? why a motherfucker done twisted my words on my post?  >:(  Not cool, fuckhead
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Hidalgo

WP beats s/t's ass, period. that's not a knock on s/t, just WP is much better. i'd say the band themselves would agree

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 14, 2009, 09:33 PM
WP beats s/t's ass, period. that's not a knock on s/t, just WP is much better. i'd say the band themselves would agree

yeah they would, because it made more money

rainnyx4

The band says exactly how I feel about S/T.  They were lazy when they were writing it.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
The band says exactly how I feel about S/T.  They were lazy when they were writing it.

oh man,u just got fooled by the advertising of snw.

"The songs are kind of brainy. They're more Rush than Tool in a way," he continued. "On our last record, we got kind of lazy by writing as few riffs as possible. This one we're writing way more riffs"

thats chino bashing the old stuff (s/t) and promoting the new (snw).. rock stars ALWAYS do that in interviews before a release.
do u think chino consider snw songs brainy now when he is gonna promote eros?

Bergerac

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 14, 2009, 10:49 PM

To be honest, from the sounds of things, I'm sure SNW was where they were actually lazy. Of Deftones and SNW, Deftones actually sounds like a cohesive album. SNW is just a random mix of whatever they were coming out with, whereas all of the stuff on Deftones belongs together, because it was actually written as an album. I'd say that was more of an effort. It can't possibly be lazy, in comparison, when all the tracks fit together so well. Its just 'stripped down', musically.

I think that album engulfed the band more than even they realise. Perhaps that's the charm in listening to it. Maybe it means more to the listener than the band, like how you notice and appreciate things in the people around you that they are oblivious to themselves.

rock_n_frost

fuck you

i like snw...

kimdracula
beware
cherry waves
combat
hite
riviere...........is better than moana, annivesvary, good morning, lhabia,rickets and feiticeira

Hidalgo

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 15, 2009, 08:03 AM
i like snw better than s/t too.

hehe this guy's hilarious, get this man a drink  ;D

rock_n_frost

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Apr 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 15, 2009, 08:03 AM
i like snw better than s/t too.

hehe this guy's hilarious, get this man a drink  ;D

i love him.........
i love everybody..
only deftones makes me sick !....... fat asses !...

get me a drink..

Starz

I prefer S/T over WP, SNW and ATF (and Adrenaline).

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Apr 15, 2009, 07:13 AM
fuck you

i like snw...

kimdracula
beware
cherry waves
combat
hite
riviere...........is better than moana, annivesvary, good morning, lhabia,rickets and feiticeira

kimdracula - ok pop rock song, no more no less.dont reach the normal standard on a deftones album...more of a b-side song.
i dont like that chino sounds like a cow with that mmmoooooouuuu after 2 min

beware - live version was decent, had a sound in the chours that oozed anxiety but they got rid of it on ther album, bad mistake.maybe for that happy feel of the album. chinos voice sound forced and awful.

cherry waves - piece of shit song, the chours YooOoU sounds childish and annoying as hell, cant stand it

combat - best song on the album, why not more of these tunes?

hite - dont feel like deftones,chinos voice not that great.feels like they cover a song from an other artist

riviere - meh. breakdown good though

Timmy666

Opinions are like assholes. Everyones got one and they all stink.

jesusinabowlofdirt

and as for riviere as last track.. i demand more from a closer on a def album. when the final chord is struck on moana,u feel kind of exhausted and sweaty... it grabs u and shake u around.. like flying on a dragon through hell. i love that tune.riviere is more of a nice tune to have in the background