Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Allergies

Started by alvarezbassist17, Apr 16, 2009, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvarezbassist17

So, in my area, things are just starting to turn green again, and with that, my nose is becoming more and more fucked up every day.  i hate how fuckin long claritin takes to kick in.

Anyone else have problems with this/remedies for it?

Jacob

I have problems every summer. I don't know exactly what is causing it and how bad it is differs from year to year. I just go to the drugstore and get any cheap kind of antihistamine and it usually helps. I usually get itchy eyes, itchy throat and a runny nose.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

alvarezbassist17

yeah, mine changes in severity from year to year as well.  i don't usually get the eye thing so much and if i do i just use some Opcon-A, which is the shit for itchy eyes.  i just can't stop being a sniffly bastard.

devilinside

Oh I fucking hate it. Pollen here in the south is amazing,and when things started blooming a few weeks back,it all started. I don't use claritin,I have used Zyrtec though and it works good. My fav is Sudafed...works everytime.

defskull

I hate spring for this reason only.  Claritin takes too long and benadryl knocks me out.  It sucks.

shine down unshy

I'm immune to allergies.  I've never had them.  8)

Variable

Your allergies kick up because of cells in your body ( MAST cells ) that release histamines when allergies are introduced into your body.  So, a H1 histamine blocker has traditionally been the remedy for this.  For example benadryl or hydroxyzine.  The only problem is that H1 histamine blockers traditionally make you tired.  They would also sometimes add in a decongestant like pseudoephedrine ( any medication that ends with D means pseudofed was added IE claritin D ).  But this will only help with your runny nose, not with the histamines.   

So then came a glorious discovery.  A H1 histamine blocker, that was non drowsy, and 24 hours.  Clairitin and Zyrtec are the two leading in this class.  Zyrtec works faster, but will still make you slightly drowsy.  Clairitn will take about 2 hours to kick in, but is 100% non drowsy.  I would highly recommend either one.

Very recently they have found an even better discovery.  MAST cell inhibitors.  Or singular, as singlular is the only MAST cell inhibitor out there last time I checked.  So what it does, is completely stops histamines from being released in the first place.  It is also 1 pill every 24 hours.  But only available by prescription.

So what I do, is take a clairitin in the morning, and a singular at night.  When I am having really bad problems I will also take hydroxyziene at night.   

Last and definitely least, there are such things as H2 histamine blockers.  If you REALLY want to do in all the histamines in your body you can hit these up too.  They are usually used to control stomach acid ( IE Zantac ) but they also block histamines.  Doctors will use H2 blockers when you are having a really severe allergic reaction.

Hope that helps.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I know I have allergies but I have no idea what they are. I have very slight problems once or twice a year but never anything bad enough to really bother me.

I am allergic to latex though. Fuck you, condoms.

alvarezbassist17

think it'd help my mornings if i popped a claritin before bed?

devilinside

Hmm...it's a possibility. How long do claritin last?

Variable

Yeah it would help.  Clairitin is a 24 hour non drowsy med.  But it would be cheaper to take an H1 blocker like Benedril ( diphenydromine)  or hydroxyzine that has generic forms for cheap.  If your allergies only bother you at night, they will help you fall asleep and block the histamines. 

As I said, I personally like mixing two 24 hour non drowsy allergy meds like Clairitin and Singular one in the morning, one in the evening.  And if I am having serious problems, throwing in Benedril or Hydroxyzine at night too.  Zyrtec is also a great 24 hour non drowsy med.  I just happen to have acquired a massive supply of Clairitin, thats why I use it.   

You can develop allergies at any time, for no good reason.  But once you have them, you have them forever.  So, might as well get familiar and used to all this.

Also if any of you have serious allergies like to latex, foods, bee stings, or medications , you might consider getting an epi pen and some injectable Benedril in case of Anaphylaxis.

lostpilot

I only had citrus allergy when I was very little. Now I have no allergies I believe.

whodunit?

I have allergie to people creating stupid threads.

lostpilot

Quote from: whodunit? on Apr 17, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have allergie to people creating stupid threads.

don't forget us being allergic to bullshit

goldpony

LOL at the last two responses.

$moneysaver tip$

the generic storebrand claritin from Kroger works just as well as claritin at less than half the cost
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Variable

Yeah, I was in a Riteaid this weekend and saw that they sell generic Clariton and Zyrtec and was going to recommend that people buy those instead.  The generic Claritin is Loratadine and Zyrtec is Cetirizine.  Also, if you are going to buy any other products like benadril.  Check the labels on shit.  Just look for Diphenhydramine. You want about 50 mg.  So they sell it in a lot of allergy medications, or sleep aids.  They all work the exact same as long as its Diphenhydramine.  So check out the mg for how much you get, compared with the pricing.  I usually find a HUGE pricing difference for the exact same product just depending on how they are trying to market it ( EG Tylenol  PM is just 50 mg of diphenydramine, same exact thing as some generic named sleep aid )

pissedandpierced

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Apr 17, 2009, 05:32 AM
I am allergic to latex though. Fuck you, condoms.

Buy latex free ones.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Variable

Or just roll the dice and raw dog it.

goldpony

i prefer to take casings off sausages and use those
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

pissedandpierced

Or you could use a crisp packet.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007