Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Rum Diary

Started by black coffee, Apr 18, 2009, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black coffee

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/

is supposed to cbe released next year. any thoughts about that? Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas is obviously a classic ( both movie and book ) so let's see how this one is gonna turn out. I just finished the book some time ago, and it was great. so much drinking all the time.

theis

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Jizzlobber

ahhh sweet!! i read about this being made quite a lonbg time ago it seems. i forgot all about it. cant wait
<

wither-I

ahhhh wonderful! i love when he's diving for lobster. and the drinking, oh! the drinking! you can really see his persona developing throughout the novel (being as it is his first, although released last). the young and overly-able Hunter S!

they should make a movie out of "the curse of lono" too! that book is wild as hell

"coming into the nearness of distance"

black coffee

Sorry everyone for the bump but I'd like to get this off my chest.

The other day I watched The Rum Diary, and was disappointed like I've never been before after watching a movie.
Too often I checked what time it is right now and how much is left of the movie.

It does have its few moments, but the overall mediocrity and the ending just kill it for me.

If I hadn't read the book, it would've been some random movie about a guy who goes to Puerto Rico, gets drunk every day at any time of the day and falls in love with some other dudes woman.

For the sake of the movie I think someone else should have played Kemp instead of Johnny Depp. You know, a new face.
For all I care he still could have done some executive producing / editing / whatever, so too often the movie relies on Johnny Depp moments, like him looking really thoughtful into the ocean, saying nothing. I thought the book had a lot of potential, so it is too bad really.

bright lights, big city

I still never saw it, but I still want to, probably use my friend's netflix too see it.

Sadly I do remember seeing reviews that match your sentiments. I guess we were all hoping the nostalgia from Fear and Loathing would make us enjoy this.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

shine down unshy

It's worth a watch.  "He was raped to death?" I lol'd at that part.

bencassey

Worth to watch!! Also got to hear many great reviews...

wheresmysnare

I thought it was pretty cool, the car bit, where he's effectively bumming his friend was hilarious

Eros TBA

"A man can live on his wits and his balls for only so long." Hunter S. Thompson