Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deerhunter/Atlas Sound/Lotus Plaza

Started by ben, Apr 29, 2009, 06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

If you haven't listened to Deerhunter yet...just please.  please.

Crypotgrams- http://www.mediafire.com/?0ex091jmc0s
Microcastle- http://www.mediafire.com/?nkcl5vzsd9m
Weird Era, Cont. - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=423TU23G
Flourescent Grey EP- http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wb4mcekzyjc

www.myspace.com/deerhunter

theis

ben, man. you should post more often. i dig this...and most of everything else you've introduced me to.

wither-I

i like them so very much. i listened to them constantly when i was in asia and i'll never forget  them for it. regulars 'round here

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lostpilot

the first/best album to check out?

ben

thanks, theis.  I'll try to post more.

best album to check out first is Cryptograms, it is still my favorite album although microcastle is more straightforward and features more traditional songs.  Cryptograms is like a journey, it mixes traditional songs with shoegaze-like instrumentals. 

Honestly, all four of those albums are really good.

whodunit?

I gave them a try but wasn't impressed. I rate them 7/10.

ben

7/10 is pretty good for not being impressed.

mr.sinister

Yeah heard a lot about these guys, ima check em out.

ronnie dobbs

very nice, been listening to these guys a lot.

Zevaka

good guys, popgaze, but pitchfork luv them soo much... it usually kills the band

ben

pitchfork loves a lot of people...

An bád dubh

Haha, at first I was gonna write: Yeah, The Dear Hunter is great man.
But then I noticed that this band is actually another band with a remarkably similar name hehe. Anyways, I checked out Deerhunter and what can I say, I couldnt really get into it.

An bád dubh

By the way, Zevaka, you seem to listen to a lot of Shoegaze and as this was my first touch on anything even remotely close to shoegaze, could you post (some of) your favorite shoegaze album(s)? I would appreciate it bro. Even one will do at first.

lostpilot

Soulvaki by Slowdive
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

theis

Quote from: Zevaka on Apr 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
good guys, popgaze, but pitchfork luv them soo much... it usually kills the band

made-up genre terms is what kill bands.

Zevaka

i killed band now

wtf are you talking about? Music need terms and genres, the more the better since they reflect music
if you're afraid of many terms... i would't really like to chat about music with you

theis

Quote from: Zevaka on May 03, 2009, 12:08 PM
wtf are you talking about? Music need terms and genres, the more the better since they reflect music
if you're afraid of many terms... i would't really like to chat about music with you

Sure, but not to the extent you're doing. All these little sub-genres are merely a way to place people in boxes and make them to be a part of a certain scene. Fucking dumb.

Afraid of terms? Haha, stop pretending to be pretentious.

Zevaka

well, band cannot play genre that cannot be defined. *Because if it happens, always new genre name appears*
I am sure that's the only way to understand music and to have a sort of hierarchy in your head: to imagine a tree of styles. with thick branches (metal, indie, alternative, metal, electronica and so on) to the thinest (i'm not sure it' is ok word for english language) like, for example, illbient or space age pop.

Thin branches refer to something very specific. So there's no wonder that everyday more and more "thin" terms are needed. "Little subgenres" - as you say - are needed. Just in order to describe music with easy, it's better to use one new term rather than 5 old ones.

Example (i was recently writing about this question in my blog, btw...): when i talked with a friend of mine about Jesu (he asked what they were playin) i said they were playing Doomgaze. I could say "Metal" and that could be right, no mistake. I could say "mixture of doom metal and shoegaze" which is actually 6 words. "Doomgaze" is only one word, one "thin" branch of music styles hierarchy.

I'm all up for little, very little, and extremely little sub-genres. Once you understand them, you realize how convinient it is to use them. Of course, only if you're talking to experienced person, who KNOWs music terms, too

ben

this is fucking stupid.  just listen to the music, and you can label it in two ways-- good or bad in your own subjective opinion.  sheesh.

Zevaka

that's what i hate about music listeners ^^^
A LOT

if you can't say what type of music it is, it means you can't fuckin get details of it. you can't understand it. and you can't write or speak about it. what are you doin at music forum then?