Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Paintings

Started by wither-I, Jun 18, 2009, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: pixElsblUr on Sep 02, 2009, 02:25 AM
I dig the one with the dudes dancin with the lion face, it's trippy, I used to paint sometime back also, keep up the good work.
thanks man! i consider that one to be a break through painting for me...

and so here's the new piece (only a few more small touches to go)

"Eternity (in the now)"
oil
(36X48)

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lostpilot

wither-I

thanks bro!! its been a long time in the making

pixElsblUr

wow, i need to start doin this again

wither-I

DOOOOOOO IT!

so ive decided to upload some of my drawings/sketches because i think theyre worthy... but please pardon the shitastic lighting quality in some of the photos.. enjoy!

wither-I

"Dis(ciple)guise; A Grand Peace Illusion -Under a Banner of Providence"
(15X30)
oil

theis

SELL THAT SHIT MOTHERFUCKER!

devilinside

wither-I

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Oct 02, 2009, 03:56 AM
hahahaha this made me smile!
it's actually a piece i did for a "post rock" band here in new orleans called hat talk. ill prob do 3 more for them to pick from.

Quote from: devilinside on Oct 02, 2009, 04:10 AM
Quote from: wither-I on Sep 04, 2009, 05:21 AM

It's you!!

As usual..amazing work!

thanks kelly!! it reminds me i need to do more live studies...

and some great news guys!! I have been offered to paint live at voodoo fest here in new orleans on halloween weekend! theyre paying me some moolah, and free wristbands for friends and family and i get to speak on the radio about my work. i will be hosting older pieces as well as working on new ones upcoming for the show spot. and will be painting a mural live while the music rolls. its probably the greatest exposure i can have as an artist right now, thousands of people will be passing by to watch me paint, and i will prob be somewhat nerve-racked as well... but much joy to come i will keep you all posted :) :) :)

shine down unshy

That sounds like an awesome opportunity.  You're going to do well my friend.

Jacob

good luck man, I'm real happy for you. but also, like I said in the pic thread, so fucking jealous :P
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

That's awesome and well deserved. You have serious talent.

devilinside

Congrats to you Kyle!! I'm sure you will have tons of people asking you for work...so get business cards made!! lol

wither-I

haha yess thats the first thing on my list actually, -making cards to hand out! many of them!

i thank you all so much for your comments they mean the WORLD to me really! they are the fuel to my fire! really, guys thank you for even taking the time to look and comment on my humble works. they are the only way i make sense of my everyday life and surroundings. :) :)

lostpilot

you should let people have prints of your works

Quote from: lostpilot on Oct 02, 2009, 03:51 PM
wow, dude.
and you know you're still one of the most inspiring people I've met, right?

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on Oct 02, 2009, 03:58 PM

wow, dude.
yeah i plan on it. im not going to sell any at the festival but rather hand out business cards of some sort for people to contact me for future prospects.

i would love to have prints by the time the fest rolls around but im not sure i have enough time and money for quality canvas prints.

and i guess you can say we have met :)

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: wither-I on Oct 02, 2009, 06:03 AM
it's actually a piece i did for a "post rock" band here in new orleans called hat talk. ill prob do 3 more for them to pick from.

dude i saw that in the picture thread and was gonna tell you that you should totally do artwork for bands, I can see you pulling off one of the sweetest album covers I've ever seen.

mad props on EVERYTHING i've seen in here, a lot of time i feel like the surrealist-ish (i could be wrong with applying that tag to your work, i don't really know art too well) paintings i see are kinda uninspired, at least to me, but your work is totally something else.  It's hard to describe.

Where do you get the specific inspiration for your art?  For instance that painting "Dis(ciple)guise; A Grand Peace Illusion -Under a Banner of Providence," did you just picture that in your head from the beginning and paint it?  Or was it more like you just started somewhere and saw where it took you?

devilinside

wow, dude.

I agree. I would gladly pay for one (or more) of your pieces. If I could make it to Voodoo I'd totally steal one! haha

wither-I

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Oct 02, 2009, 09:02 PM
Quote from: wither-I on Oct 02, 2009, 06:03 AM

dude i saw that in the picture thread and was gonna tell you that you should totally do artwork for bands, I can see you pulling off one of the sweetest album covers I've ever seen.

mad props on EVERYTHING i've seen in here, a lot of time i feel like the surrealist-ish (i could be wrong with applying that tag to your work, i don't really know art too well) paintings i see are kinda uninspired, at least to me, but your work is totally something else.  It's hard to describe.

Where do you get the specific inspiration for your art?  For instance that painting "Dis(ciple)guise; A Grand Peace Illusion -Under a Banner of Providence," did you just picture that in your head from the beginning and paint it?  Or was it more like you just started somewhere and saw where it took you?
man! first off, thank you for your kind words! i really appreciate it. its everything to me.

you can say its surreal art. ive always been a fan of the "internal landscape". i often take from fantastic realism. very similar. though im not to big on genre dropping.

my inspirations are a constant and hyper to say the least. in many ways i have been overwhelmed throghout my life with what i relate to as my "visions". they are exemplified in both my visual art, and my writing, and even the whimsical noodling on my guitar.
whenever i have a vision, or some internal revelation it usually goes straight into my notebook/sketchpad which i ALWAYS keep with me, -as a short poem along with a thumbnail sketch. i actually draw alot of inspiration/vision from when i am jogging... i zone ot and everything just opens up.
for this particular piece "dis(ciple)guise....." which is for the band hat talk there is somewhat of a story. first off, the band is conceptually based off of mormon culture; the superstition, fundamentalism, and historical eccentricity of its founder and followers. we all know a little about joseph smith!? even south park made that hilarious episode about him! "dumb dumb dumb dumb DUMB!"
and so by the advice of one of the bandmates i have been reading "under the banner of heaven" a meditation on mormon history by the writer Jon Krakauer. this book has given me the substantial jist of historical accuracies and inaccuracies of mormon practice, hype, and its following, and the atrocities related to it. this painting takes from what is dubbed as the "mountain meadows massacre", -where mormons "disguised" as indians by painting their faces, ambushed a wagon train crossing utah, and what became a five day siege with the families from arkansas (consisting of 150 people!). after the days wore on the mormons adopted to procure a truce and approached the downtrodden wagon assembly (who had already lost loved ones now rotting in the sun around them) under the white flag of truce, to only capture them as soon as the relinquished their arms and kill all men women and children in the most brutal fashion. they only let some dozen children (specifically under 3 years old) survive. for they would presumealy not remember the event. they captured those children and raised them as mormons. the bodies were left untouched for quite some time (around a year) and after the US government had been made aware they built a memorial shrine which was later destroyed by the mormon prophet and leader, and successor to joesph smith himself brigham young.

there is much much more to the event of course and its legacy.

but the visual representation/inspiration in the painting is entirely mine :)

Quote from: devilinside on Oct 02, 2009, 09:33 PM

wow, dude.

I agree. I would gladly pay for one (or more) of your pieces. If I could make it to Voodoo I'd totally steal one! haha
hopefully one day you can see them! and i can personally hand it over to you! :)

theis

i was wondering; what kind of job do you have? not to snoop around...just generally interested :)