Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Paintings

Started by wither-I, Jun 18, 2009, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Jan 17, 2010, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to point out that this seeing how you guys sculpt a conceptual album is entertaining to me. Ohhh, and I love that tree with the double-rooted thing. Starts with the roots...so it ends. I guess there is quite a couple of good metaphors on that image alone. Anyway the first painting darius quoted is quite haunting, makes me remember about a friend of mine.

thanks  so much man! i like roots.

the one that reminds you of your friend is the one i posted on this page??

"coming into the nearness of distance"

devilinside

wither-I

nonesuch

wither I at the thought of your genius curly q

you are my hero and my inspiration

as you breathe, create, and we will all benefit
i drink your milkshake

devilinside

lol...curly q....

SantosIV

hello, im kind of new here, but i found really disturbing (in a good sense) the paint with the old lady on red, i like the brushes,  and also the one with the silver men whats the story behind that??
you got a style growing up cool¡

wither-I

Quote from: SantosIV on Jan 22, 2010, 11:12 PM
hello, im kind of new here, but i found really disturbing (in a good sense) the paint with the old lady on red, i like the brushes,  and also the one with the silver men whats the story behind that??
you got a style growing up cool¡

thank you very much im glad you enjoy my stuff as much as i do working on them for you!

i leave story/meaning/interpretation up to the viewer. i give the title and that is it. the rest is yours :)

the two im working on now are shaping up nicely :)

Jacob

can't wait to see the final results!

just a quick question, btw. I'm sure you've answered this before, but I can't recall - have you had any education or are you entirely self-taught?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

wither-I

i was in the talented art programs through high school, where i got some good knowledge writing essays :)

i did one measley painting in high school using acrylics. it is also unfinished.

but as far as a "higher learning" and "training" i am without...
ive always just been a "doodler" drawing in my notebooks during class, never had the patience for anything conceptual to finish!

sadly enough, i had a mantra against color. i thought i was cool because my world and my drawings were all black and white..

this past may of 2009 i decided upon using oil paints. i had never used them before. in high school they were too expensive and also considered to difficult and left for use in college...
and so i discovered...

the first painting i have ever really done/finished is the one i posted on the first page "ruin of ages" with the figure holding her hands up glaring into the sky. and since, ive been helplessly obsessed :)

on another note i could prob use some formal training with oil paints. but its hard to find the time when im actually producing.

and with each one i get a better handle of what im doing both technically and conceptually.
i kind of pride myself in being self-taught. i do alot of trial and error. lots of sketching. lots of research. lots of PRACTICE. i feel as though im still at a trial stage. but soon i will break forth...
i want to make this my life and i will stop at the nothing to achieve great heights. its only a matter of time now...

Jacob

I love your dedication and belief in yourself. I wish I had the same motivation. getting there though!

but yeah, you should pride yourself in being self-taught. of course there are many techniques to be learned in everything from sketches to oilpainting, but it's important not to lose your personal touch.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

wither-I

man, everything you say means so much. it is the fuel to my fire. and i thank you. im just trying to make sense in my life

SantosIV

hey hello again, Whiter- I
i was wondering what kind of material you use to paint on, do u use canvas or wood? cause i've done some paints on my own and after seeing yours i felt like i wanna give it another try,( so thanks for that men) but canvas and oils are little expensive and i dont how to prepare it or there some other material?
if u can help me out i wil really apreciate it men¡¡, later..

wither-I

right now im using "williamsburg" oil paints. and i have already prepared canvases that i purchase. ive got a great hookup at the art supply store here and i get stuff real cheap.

i tried acrylic paints twice before but years ago and it turned me off from painting big time. i just didnt like the movement.
i got a wild hair to go with oils. and im addicted :)

blixa

there's a picasso quote about how the worst thing an artist can do is to go to art school because everything you have taught yourself gets stripped and replaced with the rigid ideals and techniques of painting of the institution, or something like that.

i've done painting and drawing. you're better off going to random workshop kind of classes. although nothing is as amazing as sitting and learning the theory of art itself by an exceptional lecturer.

you have your own style and technique, it's really individualistic. the only thing you can do is hone it and better your art. i would love to see you make work on alternative types of paper.

wither-I

thanks blixa its good to hear it coming from you!

have you seen picasso's paintings from when he was 14 and 15 years old. talk about rigid realism. but they are really amazing too.

i myself am trying to exact a vision of both technical, conceptual, and a more abstracted/surreal prowess. im a big admirer of visionary painting, fantastic and dreamy. i still have a ways to go in exacting my true vision, just patience now.

on working with other mediums and stables,
right now im absolutely in love with the movement i get using oils on canvas. such fluidity! such control!
however im going to be using a "clayboard" in the near future, AND also some wood. im so busy right now with other ideas/projects!

aside from the 2 dimensional, i loooooong for sculpture. i did more sculpture growing up than anything else (besides drawing).
we built our own kiln in highschool out of a mound of clay/mud behind the school. we mortared bricks to fashion an igloo type entrance and encasing. it took us a year to build and was a great project in itself. functioning very well. enough of that. there are many things i aspire to do as far as installation, theatre, writing, film, music among other avenues. writing is very imporatant to me and im working on both a children's book idea and also a concept novel which i dream of turning into a play. film has always been a dream. the first time i wrote anything, when i was a kid, was to get grasp a movie plot/sequence i had churning in my head...

and so much more...

i think ive said alot of these things already haha

devlin

Quote from: blixa on Jan 30, 2010, 04:44 PM
there's a picasso quote about how the worst thing an artist can do is to go to art school because everything you have taught yourself gets stripped and replaced with the rigid ideals and techniques of painting of the institution, or something like that.

i've done painting and drawing. you're better off going to random workshop kind of classes. although nothing is as amazing as sitting and learning the theory of art itself by an exceptional lecturer.

you have your own style and technique, it's really individualistic. the only thing you can do is hone it and better your art. i would love to see you make work on alternative types of paper.

i totally agree with that quote. high school art class killed my desire to make art a career. way to many rules and restictions. it didn't feel like a creative output. anymore i just doodle. i never really like painting though. i was always prefered pencil or pen/ink.

lostpilot

that is why sometimes I'm grateful to life my parents never let me to any music or general art school.
I'm not sure I'd like to have myself restricted by all the printed-in regulations and conventions

blixa

i went to art school to study photography. i don't regret going because i did learn a lot but i made sure that my style was developed and not replaced by something that i thought would get me better marks or make me more successful. i was encouraged like you wouldn't believe though. a lot of lecturers are really "you gotta strike out on your own" type of people so i never felt stifled by being there. there are pro's and cons to going. i got to explore all types of mediums before choosing what i wanted to focus on.

and i came from a performance art background where it was loud and abrasive and you almost humiliated and tortured yourself for it all and then i ended up being a photography student where the work i'm doing is so calm and the exact opposite of my performances.

if you do go to art school, you have to make sure you pick a school that will suit you, and sometimes that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most prestigious school. those labels are bullshit.

wither-I

i went to college for about four years. i have about a year left. going back is the last thing i want to do. i think about it and cringe...

but anywho,

to darius and "blixa";

did you receive my personal messages?
when i check my outbox it shows nothing but i did respond to both of your messages. this has happened before. just checking to see if they went through?

blixa

i got your message, and the answer is yes.

i would be put off about going to university if i was living in america because it's just ridiculous how much it costs. in australia, we have hecs so i've pretty much got it all worked out: i have to have a low paying job for the rest of my life so i don't have to pay my hecs debt back ahahaha.

i might get back to performance art because i think i can make some money from it.