Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Paintings

Started by wither-I, Jun 18, 2009, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

grazie yall!

this one took a ridiculous amount of time, moreso than expected and was rarely fun to work on

"coming into the nearness of distance"

devilinside

Wow....that one is really really good!!

wither-I

thank ya thank ya  :)

you are all too kind!!

blixa

have you done portraits of people?

i'm totally not asking you to do a portrait of me so i can give it to my mum for her birthday. totally not what i mean...what a ridiculous thought!

lostpilot

good idea, blixa.
I'd love wither-I to paint a surrealistic portrait of me.
that'd be soooooo cool

wither-I

hahaha yall are too much!

blixa

Quote from: lostpilot on Feb 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
good idea, blixa.
that'd be soooooo cool

he should do a nude portrait of the two of us...

my friend did a semi-nude portrait of me and his painting teacher called it a "grotesque portrait". it was in an exhibition and all.

E-Money

Wither-i congrats dude!  Im really impressed!  I'd love to be able to paint like that, maybe next life! 

wither-I

Quote from: blixa on Feb 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
good idea, blixa.
that'd be soooooo cool

my friend did a semi-nude portrait of me and his painting teacher called it a "grotesque portrait". it was in an exhibition and all.

ill do nudes. always room for figure study :)

Quote from: stapezee on Mar 01, 2010, 06:09 AM
Wither-i congrats dude!  Im really impressed!  I'd love to be able to paint like that, maybe next life! 

thanks man!! im really glad you like the stuff. stay tuned!

blixa

Quote from: wither-I on Mar 02, 2010, 05:40 AM
Quote from: blixa on Feb 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
good idea, blixa.
that'd be soooooo cool

ill do nudes. always room for figure study :)

my figure is something to marvel at.

i'm just kidding. i'm plump and awkward all over.

wither-I

well maybe someday we can have a sit-in

neurotic

Quote from: devlin on Jan 30, 2010, 08:15 PM
Quote from: blixa on Jan 30, 2010, 04:44 PM
there's a picasso quote about how the worst thing an artist can do is to go to art school because everything you have taught yourself gets stripped and replaced with the rigid ideals and techniques of painting of the institution, or something like that.

i've done painting and drawing. you're better off going to random workshop kind of classes. although nothing is as amazing as sitting and learning the theory of art itself by an exceptional lecturer.

you have your own style and technique, it's really individualistic. the only thing you can do is hone it and better your art. i would love to see you make work on alternative types of paper.

i totally agree with that quote. high school art class killed my desire to make art a career. way to many rules and restictions. it didn't feel like a creative output. anymore i just doodle. i never really like painting though. i was always prefered pencil or pen/ink.
hm.. i guess you had a completely wrong type of teachers.
i have attended High School of Applied Arts and now I'm attending Academy of Applied Arts, and during all these years none of the teachers ever said anything among the lines of "You can't do it like that, you have to do it like this." of course, when it came to Drawing Anatomy class, body ratio was important, but other than that, we were/are completely free to express ourselves in absolutely any style we want to.
so yeah. i don't agree with you on that. if i didn't go to art school (and now to the Academy), i probably wouldn't even have time for expressing myself creatively. i'd probably just spend my days studying and nothing more.

as for your artwork, i've just spent an hour browsing this topic from start, and i have to say - your progress is stunning! i particularly love the last one you've posted ("the birth and flux of a tectonic universe"), simply amazing.
*bookmarks*
...never trust the obvious...

blixa

Quote from: neurotic on Mar 03, 2010, 12:49 PM
Quote from: devlin on Jan 30, 2010, 08:15 PM
Quote from: blixa on Jan 30, 2010, 04:44 PM
there's a picasso quote about how the worst thing an artist can do is to go to art school because everything you have taught yourself gets stripped and replaced with the rigid ideals and techniques of painting of the institution, or something like that.

i've done painting and drawing. you're better off going to random workshop kind of classes. although nothing is as amazing as sitting and learning the theory of art itself by an exceptional lecturer.

you have your own style and technique, it's really individualistic. the only thing you can do is hone it and better your art. i would love to see you make work on alternative types of paper.

i totally agree with that quote. high school art class killed my desire to make art a career. way to many rules and restictions. it didn't feel like a creative output. anymore i just doodle. i never really like painting though. i was always prefered pencil or pen/ink.
hm.. i guess you had a completely wrong type of teachers.
i have attended High School of Applied Arts and now I'm attending Academy of Applied Arts, and during all these years none of the teachers ever said anything among the lines of "You can't do it like that, you have to do it like this." of course, when it came to Drawing Anatomy class, body ratio was important, but other than that, we were/are completely free to express ourselves in absolutely any style we want to.
so yeah. i don't agree with you on that. if i didn't go to art school (and now to the Academy), i probably wouldn't even have time for expressing myself creatively. i'd probably just spend my days studying and nothing more.

as for your artwork, i've just spent an hour browsing this topic from start, and i have to say - your progress is stunning! i particularly love the last one you've posted ("the birth and flux of a tectonic universe"), simply amazing.
*bookmarks*

it all depends on what institute you go to. i remember last year that a lecturer of mine completely changed my friend's direction on her work and it wasn't for the better. my friend really disliked the way she was directed to go about making her work.

like i said, it all depends on where you go. some lecturers are crap and feed your ears horse poop. i know that a lot of the artists i admire had no formal art education. that said, i think there are pros and cons to going to art school. that is a decision you have to make.

neurotic

Quote from: blixa on Mar 03, 2010, 01:02 PM
it all depends on what institute you go to. i remember last year that a lecturer of mine completely changed my friend's direction on her work and it wasn't for the better. my friend really disliked the way she was directed to go about making her work.

like i said, it all depends on where you go. some lecturers are crap and feed your ears horse poop. i know that a lot of the artists i admire had no formal art education. that said, i think there are pros and cons to going to art school. that is a decision you have to make.
well, as for us here, of course some teachers sometimes want you to go in another direction. but it's not that you have to go there. he/she gives you an option, and it's entirely up to you if you want it or not.

as for your last paragraph, i completely agree on that. there are pros and cons to everything.
...never trust the obvious...

blixa

definitely, but when you have a vulnerable person who's still grappling with the style of their work, they tend to do whatever they are told because their lecturer knows better. you have to be a strong student and person to develope your style with the aid (not interference) of your teachers.

i know my work was so very different before i went to university. i was doing very violent, abrasive performance work and once i entered into my photography degree, i incorporated the quiet magnitude of my personality and character into my work. i never thought i would be making work described as "austere." you grow into your style at some point and that can be aided by your lecturers or your friends who don't necessarily have to be artists also.

wither-I

the best yet are on their way, this i promise...

until then check out my amazing new site

http://kylenugent.com/

wither-I

"the birth and decoration of a martyr"
(30X40)
oil

E-Money

Fucking Awesome, I wish I could see it up close!

wither-I

thanks! yesh the picture is kinda shitty too alot of detail is blurred :(

Jacob

finally something new! and it's awesome too. I love how you work with colors.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep