Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

MICHAEL JACKSON IS DEAD!

Started by theis, Jun 25, 2009, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilinside

Quote from: lostpilot on Jun 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
even though this is quite tragic, unexpected, and I respect MJ for his musical career (man oh man - Billie Jean), still, lets not make SUCH a big fuss about it. it will become the hype of the season. if the Obama was the hype of the last season, MJ's death will be this.

nonetheless, rip

That's retarded. MJ has been around for YEARS and influenced many lives. You can't compare him to Obama. It will continue to be a big  fuss for many because he was a big deal.

devilinside

I thought this was pretty much to the point.

QuoteLike I'm sure so many people did this morning, I listened to "Thriller" on the way to work. I haven't listened to that album in its entirety in years. It's fantastic, really, and holds up far better than I thought it would.

Before I get too into this, let me just say: my public persona is decidedly unsentimental and insensitive. I cracked jokes about Jackson's death and laughed when other people did so yesterday (and likely will for weeks to come). He was amazing, and a peerless entertainer, but was completely fucked up and pretty goddamn scary. Besides, there is not much in this world I can't laugh at. You laugh, or you go insane. That being said, I don't get maudlin very often, so feel free to skip this one if you want to always think of me as a hard-ass bitch.

Anyway, while listening to "Thriller" this morning, memories started flooding back, ones I didn't even realize were buried in the archives. Sitting on my brother's bed in our shared bedroom, listening to "Thriller" fucking endlessly on a portable cassette player with tinny, muffled speakers. Begging my mother to rent the "Thriller" video on VHS and then being scared shitless by it. Watching "Beat It" about a thousand damn times at a friend's house until we got the choreography down. Trying to moonwalk at another friend's house across her living room floor in our socks. I was only six when it aired, but to this day, my father says that Jackson's moonwalk on the Motown TV special was one of the most spectacular things he's ever seen. I even remember when music videos were so important that they would show his new ones during prime-time network TV (after "The Simpsons", say). You'd talk about it the next day at school, whether you were seven or seventeen, because you still frigging cared – on some level – what this dude did.

So, remembering all this weird, archaic, pleasant stuff from my childhood, I actually started to tear up. Not for Michael Jackson, of course, but for myself. When the symbols and icons of your youth die, it's like shutting the door to a room you wish you could go back into. When the people you grew up with – personally or culturally – stop existing, it seems like your childhood gets another step further away. Without those touchstones to spur memories, your early years seem more like something you saw on TV or read in a book or imagined, and less like something you actually lived. An easier, more innocent time is long past, time marches relentlessly on, and life only gets fucking harder and harder.

This is far, far less eloquent than I would like it to be, but it's hard to put into words. It's not the loss of Michael Jackson that has me so upset. He was one of the overarching symbols of what was probably the best part of my life. And it's the loss of that which has me a bit inconsolable this morning.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: devilinside on Jun 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
I thought this was pretty much to the point.

QuoteLike I'm sure so many people did this morning, I listened to "Thriller" on the way to work. I haven't listened to that album in its entirety in years. It's fantastic, really, and holds up far better than I thought it would.

Before I get too into this, let me just say: my public persona is decidedly unsentimental and insensitive. I cracked jokes about Jackson's death and laughed when other people did so yesterday (and likely will for weeks to come). He was amazing, and a peerless entertainer, but was completely fucked up and pretty goddamn scary. Besides, there is not much in this world I can't laugh at. You laugh, or you go insane. That being said, I don't get maudlin very often, so feel free to skip this one if you want to always think of me as a hard-ass bitch.

Anyway, while listening to "Thriller" this morning, memories started flooding back, ones I didn't even realize were buried in the archives. Sitting on my brother's bed in our shared bedroom, listening to "Thriller" fucking endlessly on a portable cassette player with tinny, muffled speakers. Begging my mother to rent the "Thriller" video on VHS and then being scared shitless by it. Watching "Beat It" about a thousand damn times at a friend's house until we got the choreography down. Trying to moonwalk at another friend's house across her living room floor in our socks. I was only six when it aired, but to this day, my father says that Jackson's moonwalk on the Motown TV special was one of the most spectacular things he's ever seen. I even remember when music videos were so important that they would show his new ones during prime-time network TV (after "The Simpsons", say). You'd talk about it the next day at school, whether you were seven or seventeen, because you still frigging cared – on some level – what this dude did.

So, remembering all this weird, archaic, pleasant stuff from my childhood, I actually started to tear up. Not for Michael Jackson, of course, but for myself. When the symbols and icons of your youth die, it's like shutting the door to a room you wish you could go back into. When the people you grew up with – personally or culturally – stop existing, it seems like your childhood gets another step further away. Without those touchstones to spur memories, your early years seem more like something you saw on TV or read in a book or imagined, and less like something you actually lived. An easier, more innocent time is long past, time marches relentlessly on, and life only gets fucking harder and harder.

This is far, far less eloquent than I would like it to be, but it's hard to put into words. It's not the loss of Michael Jackson that has me so upset. He was one of the overarching symbols of what was probably the best part of my life. And it's the loss of that which has me a bit inconsolable this morning.
well said
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

White Pwny

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jun 25, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hey hey, let's stay positive. This hasn't been confirmed yet has it? just some fucking gossip site that wrote it.

If it is indeed true, this sucks. I have tickets for a concert in july aswell. fuck!

It actually WAS NOT just some "gossip site" that wrote it... It was FOX NEWS....
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: White Pwny on Jun 26, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hey hey, let's stay positive. This hasn't been confirmed yet has it? just some fucking gossip site that wrote it.

If it is indeed true, this sucks. I have tickets for a concert in july aswell. fuck!

It actually WAS NOT just some "gossip site" that wrote it... It was FOX NEWS....

Lmao

Penicks

even though this is quite tragic, unexpected, and I respect MJ for his musical career (man oh man - Billie Jean), still, lets not make SUCH a big fuss about it. it will become the hype of the season. if the Obama was the hype of the last season, MJ's death will be this

Make no fucking fuss about it?

What the fuck are you not understanding?

The king of pop. Dead. This is horrible and a fucking tragedy.

Give the man the biggest funeral in the universe.

Crazylegs

Quote from: White Pwny on Jun 26, 2009, 05:25 PM

the first site to confirm it was tmz.com or some shit like that.

pillswithwine

TMZ was first.  They reported he was dead just after 5:20est, around 45 minutes before any other media outlet.

rock_n_frost

god damn...eveyones dying...
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

lostpilot

Quote from: devilinside on Jun 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
even though this is quite tragic, unexpected, and I respect MJ for his musical career (man oh man - Billie Jean), still, lets not make SUCH a big fuss about it. it will become the hype of the season. if the Obama was the hype of the last season, MJ's death will be this.

nonetheless, rip

That's retarded. MJ has been around for YEARS and influenced many lives. You can't compare him to Obama. It will continue to be a big  fuss for many because he was a big deal.

I agree with you completely. But that's what the people do. The tabloids will suck on this for like two weeks with lame conspiracies of overdose suicide etc.

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
even though this is quite tragic, unexpected, and I respect MJ for his musical career (man oh man - Billie Jean), still, lets not make SUCH a big fuss about it. it will become the hype of the season. if the Obama was the hype of the last season, MJ's death will be this

Make no fucking fuss about it?

What the fuck are you not understanding?

The king of pop. Dead. This is horrible and a fucking tragedy.

Give the man the biggest funeral in the universe.

I said don't make SUCH a big fuss. I open up my online newspaper - and there's SEVEN newslines about the same thing. I mean, come on, people - isn't one enough? Yes, I greatly appreciate what MJ did to music/media overall, but I don't believe any person would be happy if after his death tabloids would live off what is left of his memory and all the fcking RUMORS of all things he did or did not. how many people do you think now are discussing his child molesting/surgery/drug use over the internet?

that's my point. RIP is okay. another HUGE fcking scandal from every little detail is not.

Zevaka

^^that.
entire internetz are talking about it. Talking talking and talking. Yeah he was pop hero. But there are a lot of  bigger heroes worth talking about.

Shaye

Quote from: ben on Jun 26, 2009, 06:09 AM
in a way, we killed this dude.  I guess I'm one of the few that believe the dude was just a kid in a man's body who never jerked boys off...

I'm withy ou on that. he had a very messed up childhood. And I don't believe for a minute that he abused or molested children. I just don't.

I'm very, very sad about this. The last time I felt this shocked and upset over a celebrity dying it was Kurt Cobain. But this is just crazy and terribly tragic to me. I barely listen to Nirvana anymore, yet Michael Jackson is someone I listen to at least a couple of times a week.

Shaye

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Jun 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
The child molestation allegations were clearly the result of money-hungry parents who saw an opportunity in earning some quick millions. As if ANY parent with love for their child would settle for an amount of money IF their child really had been molested.
It's bullshit.

My exact thoughts.

I'm not a parent, but if someone fucks with my child in the future I'm not settling out of court for some $$, I'm looking to send that person to prison. Unbelievable.

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Zevaka on Jun 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
^^that.
Yeah he was pop hero. But there are a lot of  bigger heroes worth talking about.

who ? justin timberlake ?

the organizatior of MJ's Istanbul concert talked yesterday about him. An interview ;

- So what kind of person he was ? Did he want so much things  ? Was he assuming ?
- It was interesting. I never met someone like him before. Before the Istanbul concert he closed the cinema and he watched Jurassic Park for 3 times. Like a child..He got popcorn and coke and stuffs...Just like a child.
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Variable

Am I the only one that find his music totally lame?

Moz

Quote from: Variable on Jun 27, 2009, 08:59 AM

I don't know, but I'm happy I'm not you. Jeez, shitty world you live in if you don't like his music.

Crazylegs

You're definitely part of a minority.

mrs_swa

That's just sad Trey.  I would expect you of all people to enjoy Beat It.   ;)
...blow the Universe into nothingNESS.  nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest...

Variable

Quote from: Moz on Jun 27, 2009, 12:18 PM

I don't know, but I'm happy I'm not you. Jeez, shitty world you live in if you don't like his music.
For real?  I have been listening to all his stuff and watching his videos for the past 2 days because some of the guys at my work are all upset and I just don't get why.  I mean I get the end of an era type shit, but I dont get why they like his music so much.  Its not that good. 
I mean, sure billie jean is catchy as fuck.  But its everything I hate about "music"  He didn't write any of that.  It all got put together for him and performed in a studio.  I haven't found a live performance on youtube where he is not lip syncing.  Which tells me that without a studio, his caliber of performance probably goes way down.  He was a creation of the industry.  All this music wasn't made for artistic purposes, it was made for money.  I hate that.  And sure, he can dance, and its cool.  But what the fuck does that have to do with music?  To me, he isn't a musician and his songs aren't music.  He is a entertainer and his songs are just entertainment.  And to me, most of them aren't all that entertaining......................
and I get that not everybody thinks like me and thats cool and all.  But I could just as easily say that I feel sorry for your life if you do like this bull shit.  That your world must be shitty if you are entertained by this simpleton bull shit.  But I'm not saying that, guess I'm just not as vain as you.
Quote from: Crazylegs on Jun 27, 2009, 01:53 PM

You're definitely part of a minority.
I do think the moon walk is really cool (in reference to you avatar).  I remember seeing him do that at the superbowl ( I think in 93 ) I was in 1st or 2nd grade and it blew my mind. 
Quote from: mrs_swa on Jun 27, 2009, 02:43 PM

That's just sad Trey.  I would expect you of all people to enjoy Beat It.   ;)
Well, I don't know why its sad.  But I'm going to go listen to beat it now seeing as how the only version I have ever heard of that song was by the chipmunks

Penicks

Variable. Just. Wow. Shut up.