Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Started by Timmy666, Jun 29, 2009, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Yeah.  I was watching some of POTC: Dead Man's Chest and it might not be the best movie in the world but I swear that the CGI for the Davy Jones character is some of the best ever.  That character could not be created otherwise.  Sure you could have done a shit load of make up and do some animatronics but it wouldn't look as realistic as the CGI character does. 

bright lights, big city

yeah my friends who have seen it loved it, even though very few were actually anticipating this. I'm not really anxious to see it either, honestly, but it is Cameron and I've really enjoyed all of his movies (except Titanic, and I do respect him for his reasons to make that film). Now Avatar was something he's been wanting to do for decades, but technology just was never up to par. So this means I have to like it, right?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

No images and trailers will do this movie justice. I thought it looked lame from the previews, but decided to give it a chance today.

Consider my mind blown.

What beauty, what action, what emotion and what GRAPHICS!. Sure, the story has been seen before, but the way Cameron tells it is truly wonderful.

I loved every second and thought everyone did a splendid job. It's incredible how much you actually get to care about these big blue CG cat people. Am I the only one who thought Neytiri was ridiculously hot?

I also really, REALLY like Sam Worthington. That dude's got one hell of a future in front of him.

And oh my goood - the final battle; Probably the greatest battle between the "good guys and bad guys" I've witnessed in a movie. I had chils the entire time. When it comes to sci-fi and fantasy, it really doesn't get much better than Avatar.

Another thing I loved was that you actually had time to breathe between the action sequences. It wasn't too exsessive. (Bay, take notice).

People in doubt - GO SEE THIS.

Bravo, James Cameron. I will happily call this movie a masterpiece.

If you can't enjoy this movie, I fucking feel sorry for you. I really do...

9.5/10

ben

Exactly.  I went in with the same kind of expectations and was blown away.  That's why I didn't want to really discuss my reasons for why I disagreed.  I think it's better if people go into it thinking it's going to suck.  Honestly, it's my favorite film of the year, and I've seen some good ones.

theis

Quote from: ben on Dec 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
Honestly, it's my favorite film of the year.

Same. And one of the best of the decade.

Penicks

No More Sugar

i heard this movie is quite amazing. i'll pay to go see this
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

defskull

The visual effects were pretty ridiculous.  One of the effects that I tended to love a lot was the fact that you had this CGI robot walking but you can still see the human actor inside. I thought that was very cool.  Not only that, but CGI and human interaction was unreal.  If you had no idea CGI existed you would believe that the Navi and humans coexisted.  

And yes that final battle just might be the best I've ever seen.  Ridiculously cool shit going on.  I did feel like the movie was a little long, but when considering what they could have gotten rid of, there really isn't anything.  It takes a lot of time to introduce the audience to the world of Pandora.  There's just so much going on.  I'll probably go see it again.

Oh yeah, it's worth seeing in 3D.  It's not gimmicky shit like ooo lets extend this all the way into the audience.  Instead, the 3D was used to literally give another dimension to the world. 

wither-I

Quote from: theis on Dec 20, 2009, 04:48 PM
No images and trailers will do this movie justice. I thought it looked lame from the previews, but decided to give it a chance

8.5/10

great message.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

theis

Nailec

seen it in 3d today. impressed by the visuals of course but story, dialogues and charactes were average at best.

two points that should have been deepened were jakes disablement and the ressource problem and resulting dilemma of the human race. those themes would have brought at least some deep to the whole movie. instead it was just the typical conflict between capitalists and autochthonous people with a pocahontasesque love story.

i would have loved to see the Alien 2 marines team in this movie :)

7/10

lostpilot

Quote from: ben on Dec 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
Honestly, it's my favorite film of the year.

x2
loved every piece of it

blixa

i'll probably get flamed but i really dislike this film. i don't understand why james cameron gave the female alien/s breasts, despite the fact that they made no biological sense on them, since they aren't mammals, because they had to be "sexy".  "well, they have to be identifiable as female. . ." come on! so much of the so-called biodiversity made no sense - they wouldn't have looked like humans at all, and someone i know brought this up, but despite the fact that it's a whole new system, there are still the same old patriarchal gender roles and power structures we have on earth. and oh look who's coming along to save the day! mr alfa white dude! it's dances with wolves in space!

devlin

i have not yet seen the movie but...

Quote from: blixa on Jan 06, 2010, 11:42 AM
i'll probably get flamed but i really dislike this film. i don't understand why james cameron gave the female alien/s breasts, despite the fact that they made no biological sense on them, since they aren't mammals, because they had to be "sexy".  "well, they have to be identifiable as female. . ." come on! so much of the so-called biodiversity made no sense - they wouldn't have looked like humans at all, and someone i know brought this up, but despite the fact that it's a whole new system, there are still the same old patriarchal gender roles and power structures we have on earth. and oh look who's coming along to save the day! mr alfa white dude! it's dances with wolves in space!

why do people overthink things and ruin the movie for themselves? its just a movie. nothing more than entertainment. yes there is a message blah blah blah. but the point is entertain. take you out of your life and get imersed in the story.

rock_n_frost

it would be just ''good'' if it wasnt 3d
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

blixa

Quote from: devlin on Jan 06, 2010, 11:50 AM
i have not yet seen the movie but...

Quote from: blixa on Jan 06, 2010, 11:42 AM

why do people overthink things and ruin the movie for themselves? its just a movie. nothing more than entertainment. yes there is a message blah blah blah. but the point is entertain. take you out of your life and get imersed in the story.

i don't tend to "over think" things at all so this is a big deal that i even noticed these things. if you want me to get way more serious about it, i really had no respect for the way jake's disability was portrayed at all. he's represented as feeling broken and useless and we're informed that it is right for him to feel that way in a differently-abled body. although i am pretty happy to say that it is pocahontas with spaceships.

devlin

i wasn't really calling you out. your post just got me thinking. or "over thinking" if you please.

but again having not seen the movie. and not knowing specifically how these things were portrayed. i'm willing to bet that damn near anyone with a disability would gladly have their minds put into an able body.

blixa

i don't agree that a disabled person should be stereotyped like that. i know a lot of disabled people and it's offensive to pre-suppose that they wish to be abled or whatnot. you can think that all you want, but that doesn't make it so. i'm not attacking you either. it's just the internet hahaha.

i don't think this movie is revolutionary in plot. pretty much your standard action movie with fucking kickass CGI. that's it.

devlin

sterotypes exist because the majority of the time they're true. i'm tired of all this PC bullshit. you may know plenty of people who have come to grips with the disability and live very happy complete lives. but i seriouly doubt anyone of them would say "what? walk again? no, thank you. i'm not handicapped, i'm handicapable!" of course they would rip the baby out of a new mothers arms to get at those stem cells, if it got them closer to a fully functioning body.

blixa

there was nothing PC about the way his disability was portrayed at all. stereotypes exist because the majority of people live in a box that they've invented for themselves. when i saw jake and his wheelchair i thought, will this be the first time i've seen a movie where a main character with a disability hasn't been magically 'cured' by the end? in the movie, jake abandons his wheelchair to be permanently installed in a na'vi body. this pretty much is telling us the underlying theme, which is that his human body is inadequate. instead he can achieve some type of salvation by entering his new body.

i'm sorry but that's fucking bullshit.