Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Started by Timmy666, Jun 29, 2009, 06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devlin

i didn't mean the movie was PC. i meant u.

and i'm sure, once again, that there are plenty of people with a disability was DO find their body to be "inadequate" and wish upon a star every night to be able to what the character in the movie did. not all. but the majority. why wouldn't they? like i said. even if they are perfectly happy in a wheel chair. why wouldn't they want to be able to stand, walk, run, jig?

Nailec

some thoughts on the gender problem in this movie and jakes disablement.

-of course its not clinic reality that there is a cure for disabled people, sadly. but saying that jake can have the same perfect live with his disablement is just relativistic and regressive to my eyes. its the typical "everyone is different and thats ok" ideology that hinders progression and improvement of society. its a typical way of thinking of the feminist left that wants emancipation on the one side. but when it comes to oppose against female mutilation and the burka-tradition, this ideology often enough stays silent because it accepts every diversity.

- james cameron may transport gender clichees but he certainly does not prefer the manly way. in aliens its a caring women that survives while abunch of manly and heavy armed marines fail horribly. same thing in avatar: agression loses and pacific, caring autochthones prevail.

- jake as an alpha male? he was disabled and not able to take part in any fight in his human body. and he was a newbie in his na`vi body and only won the boss fight because of his female friend.

-the movie was made for big masses, so it was necessary to have projection screens for a wide audience. therefore tits.

-is a gender analysis alone enough to interpret and judge this movie? no way.

wither-I

Quote from: Nailec on Jan 06, 2010, 03:20 PM

-of course its not clinic reality that there is a cure for disabled people, sadly. but saying that jake can have the same perfect live with his disablement is just relativistic and regressive to my eyes. its the typical "everyone is different and thats ok" ideology that hinders progression and improvement of society. its a typical way of thinking of the feminist left that wants emancipation on the one side. but when it comes to oppose against female mutilation and the burka-tradition, this ideology often enough stays silent because it accepts every diversity.

- james cameron may transport gender clichees but he certainly does not prefer the manly way. in aliens its a caring women that survives while abunch of manly and heavy armed marines fail horribly. same thing in avatar: agression loses and pacific, caring autochthones prevail.

- jake as an alpha male? he was disabled and not able to take part in any fight in his human body. and he was a newbie in his na`vi body and only won the boss fight because of his female friend.

-the movie was made for big masses, so it was necessary to have projection screens for a wide audience. therefore tits.

-is a gender analysis alone enough to interpret and judge this movie? no way.

GREAT points.

our great mother...

and blixa, im sorry, but are you actually serious?
even leuitenant dan who wanted only death got new legs. the stuff they use on the spaceships..

Quote from: blixa on Jan 06, 2010, 11:42 AM
i don't understand why james cameron gave the female alien/s breasts, despite the fact that they made no biological sense on them, since they aren't mammals, because they had to be "sexy".  "well, they have to be identifiable as female. . ." come on! so much of the so-called biodiversity made no sense - they wouldn't have looked like humans at all,

and yes youre right the breasts are there to make the aliens identifiable. without these easy clues to keep audiences in tune it would be too complicated for the film to work and/or would have to be over 4 hours long. theres already so much information that transpires throughout the film conditioning the viewer to this new world...

and acually some "scientists" have pointed out that biodiversity and evolution could be likely to take very similar aesthetical roles on an alien planet. we could be suprised how much alien life would relate to our own. do i think they would be represneted like the movie however, no. but again this makes things identifiable and relateable to our current situation on earth. just with the horses and trees and pterodactyls and jungle dog things, and triceratops looking things... relateable.

its early so sorry for my disjunct rambles.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

ben

one weak

Quote from: Nailec on Jan 06, 2010, 03:20 PM

Actaully, the thing that is a lot more socially regressive is your view that "disabled" people will never have a "cure" for their uninspired lives is shared by far too many people.

sheesh

As for the film. It was cool looking, but not my cup of tea. It was like going to a museum (which i like) and being in awe, but growing pretty bored after about an hour.

I think CGI advances are the tits, but give me real photography, acting and a story any day of the week.  What will be awesome is when someone takes the nerds who animate and photograph at this technical level and plug in all the variables of a truly great story!

wither-I

Quote from: one weak on Jan 06, 2010, 09:15 PM
I think CGI advances are the tits, but give me real photography, acting and a story any day of the week.  What will be awesome is when someone takes the nerds who animate and photograph at this technical level and plug in all the variables of a truly great story!

:)

"coming into the nearness of distance"

blixa

Quote from: devlin on Jan 06, 2010, 03:11 PM
i didn't mean the movie was PC. i meant u.

and i'm sure, once again, that there are plenty of people with a disability was DO find their body to be "inadequate" and wish upon a star every night to be able to what the character in the movie did. not all. but the majority. why wouldn't they? like i said. even if they are perfectly happy in a wheel chair. why wouldn't they want to be able to stand, walk, run, jig?

yes, and we see this being the basis in every film. james cameron brought nothing new in regards to issues he could have 'revolutionised'. this movie was just made to look good. that's what disappointed me. it didn't give me what i wanted because it's nothing plotwise. you know how it's gonna end fifteen minutes in, plus you know exactly what will happen to lead to this end.

and i don't agree with you about disabled people so there's no point arguing any further.

theis

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

devilinside

Deft_16_Ones

Hahahahahaha

This movie was painful to watch 3 hours of pure boredom and political agenda. Anyway I enjoyed to make out + with my GF.

Penicks

So you're one of those buttfuckers who smooches before my eyes when i try to enjoy a movie. Well I hope you realise I shot all my boogers on your hair.

Nailec

Quote from: Deft_16_Ones on Jan 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hahahahahaha

This movie was painful to watch 3 hours of pure boredom and political agenda. Anyway I enjoyed to make out + with my GF.

hi. youre the new troll-captain here?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Penicks on Jan 18, 2010, 09:06 PM
So you're one of those buttfuckers who smooches before my eyes when i try to enjoy a movie. Well I hope you realise I shot all my boogers on your hair.
hahahaha i'm with you, i hate those buttmunches.

in other news, Avatar actually won best picture at the golden globes .
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 18, 2010, 11:09 PM
in other news, Avatar actually won best picture at the golden globes .

The Hurt Locker won Best Picture.

defskull

theis

Oh shit, I was looking at a different list.

Crazy. Inglourious Basterds should've won.

Deft_16_Ones

Quote from: Nailec on Jan 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
Quote from: Deft_16_Ones on Jan 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hahahahahaha

hi. youre the new troll-captain here?

Are you the asshole with no life that defends a movie?  ::) Im pretty sure the production will call you to congratulate you and your amazing skills on a forum  8) What a pro !

Professional Asshole  8)

Goodbye

bright lights, big city

Quote from: theis on Jan 19, 2010, 12:30 AM
Oh shit, I was looking at a different list.

Crazy. Inglourious Basterds should've won.
seriously. or Hurt Locker. Avatar was pretty good, but I just am failing to see it as this truly spectacular movie (although the special effects were pretty legendary)
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

It's really sad but I mean these award shows have come down to politics.  It's no longer about the best film anymore but rather the amount of money you spend to have your movie recognized as best film. 

Though I will say that it appears that best actor and actress categories are still untainted.  Christopher Waltz deserves every award he can.  I mean he effectively and believably acted in FOUR different languages in Inglourious Basterds.  He was both charming and chilling at the same time. 

But anyway, Avatar deserves all the technical awards it can get.  Giving it the best movie award though when much more original movies came out is a crime.