Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Worst Deftones' songs.

Started by Vesanic, Sep 11, 2009, 01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

( If this thread already exists, delete mine. )

As we all know, every artist has their part of work that will be disliked by a big majority of fans. And so have the Deftones. Although they are my favorite band to date, they also have some songs that make me wonder: " What the fuck were they thinking while they were composing this ? " or some others I don't hear any Deftones aspect in.

Adrenaline, White Pony and ATF are what I would call " flawless ". Every song from these albums brings something, imo. But s/t and SNW are not what I would call flawless.

S/T:

Moana
To me, it sounds like a mix between Minerva, Battle-Axe and Good Morning Beautiful at the same time. I easily skip that one on my player.

SNW.

Pink Cellphone. That song just bores me, it sounds like a tasteless piece of electro music. Although the sounds mix and the voices are not that annoying to hear, I just don't dig'em that much.

Mein: Nothing much to tell. It's repetitive and tasteless. And considering the brillant things Serj Tankian can do, I seriously wonder if his part is not some kind of joke.

Xerces: I know a lot of you guys will be like " WTF ?! Man this is a gorgeous melody and one Deftones classic ! " but, I don't know, I just don't get to like it. Yeah, the melody is lovely and Chino's voice is enjoyable. But... it sounds... not " dark " enough, I don't know if it's the good description... It sounds too trippy/poppish to be called Deftones stuff.

This is, of course, a personal opinion. Haters can suck my cock.

What about your less-liked ? And why ?

wither-I

rats rats rats is horrid.

dishonorable mentions;
rapture
pink cellphone

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Deftones86

mein worst single choice ever would have much rather seen a beware video, and pink cellphone

Urantia23

to me, only one song:

I fuckin hate Mein!!  >:( specially by Serj Tankian

birkoff

defskull

You know I didn't think "Mein" was all that great either until the other day the song got stuck in my head.  I do believe that the Serj point is unnecessary, but aside from that I actually think it's a really great song.

I agree about Moana though.  By far the worst album ender by Deftones.  They always choose songs that feel like the only way you'd end them, except for that album.  It's just...average.  Painfully so.  Not bad, but not good either.

I'm going to say Back To School as well.  I think that if they hadn't made Pink Maggot I'd be okay with it, but Back To School just seems cheapen how mature of a song Pink Maggot is by essentially being a rap-metal remix. 

Hidalgo

pink maggot does kick the living shit out of BTS

Jacob

there's not one song on any of the albums that I hate, or even dislike. there are a few I like a lot less than the rest though... so if I were to pick one off of each album it'd go like this:

Adrenaline - Root

ATF - Mascara

WP - Korea

S/T - Needles & Pins and Lucky You (yeah, ok so that's two, but to be honest I barely even count Lucky You as a Deftones song)

SNW - Rapture
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Vesanic

Quote from: Jacob on Sep 11, 2009, 09:06 AM
Adrenaline - Root

WP - Korea

Kind of a surprise. But to each their own, I guess.

Jacob

hehe, yeah well... you picked Moana which is one of my favorites from s/t ;D

Vesanic

Haha, right... But it seems surprising to me 'cause Korea's always been regarded as a Deftones classic. The bridge, especially. There's no White Pony without Korea, whereas Moana never hit that much of fans.

Jacob

yeah, that's what I find so fascinating about both Korea and Moana. according to me, it should be the other way around :P

but seriously though, I really like the bridge part of Korea, but the rest of the song is just really boring in my opinion. I think Deftones are at their best when they do atmospheric and soft music. and by soft I mean it can still be heavy, but not as hard hitting and aggressive as their heavier stuff. to me, Korea is pretty much just an excuse for Chino to scream his ass off and I don't find it particularly interesting. there's barely any melody in that song.

Vesanic

Meh, a Deftones album without any heaviness and aggressive sound wouldn't sound like a Deftones album, to me... And of course, there's a need of atmospheric and soft stuff, too, that's right. But I see the whole picture. If they were only atmospheric and soft, Team Sleep would be useless.  :D

Jacob

hehe, of course. I never said I dislike their aggressive side. it's the whole picture I enjoy. but I tend to like the aggressive songs a little bit less.

Vesanic

I see... Nice point, though. :)

slyartwork

Mein is alright, just because of the drums it's cool.

Pink Cellphone is nice for just a few times, after that I just skip it!
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

Crazylegs

adrenaline: 7 words
atf: headup
wp: street carp
s/t: needles and  pins
snw: rats

rainnyx4

Adrenaline: Nothing, it's perfect
ATF: Too many songs sound the same or feature a riff too close to Engine #9 (Lhabia, Rickets, and Headup)  Worst song: Lhabia
WP: Again we get some recycled riffs or sounds (Elite and Street Carp)  Worst song: Elite
S/T: This is where the band gets really lazy and REALLY repeats old ideas, uses certain sounds too much, and/or doesn't even finish writing the song (Hexagram, Deathblow, Battle-Axe, and Moana)  Worst song: Battle-Axe
SNW: Production was really bad (Rapture and Beware) they got a little lazy when writing the bridge on some songs (Cherry Waves, Kim Dracula, and Riviere) and some songs just weren't very good ideas to begin with (Mein and Xerces).  Worst song: Xerces

Hell_Tanner

Really not too fond of "Teenager", don't like "Pink Maggit".

I always skip "Anniversary of...", I'm just not interested in that song although it's not bad.

"PInk Cellphone", I don't like at all and I just can't stand how that girl pronounce "power", makes my teeth grind...

SomeOf

Oh, great thread Vesanic!
It's hard to choose but my worst Deftones's songs are:

Adrenaline: Engine 9
Around The Fur: Headup
White Pony: Passenger (yeah I know! Don't blame me lol)
Deftones: Lucky You
SNW: Mein