Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Worst Deftones' songs.

Started by Vesanic, Sep 11, 2009, 01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

Quote from: No More Sugar on Nov 09, 2009, 04:33 PM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Nov 09, 2009, 03:20 PM
sinatra just never did it for me at all either.

helmet is classic

that may be true but i don't know what it is about that song. just can't get into it.

TheDeftonesVault

I know it's been awhile but I feel I should just let my opinions be heard

Adrenaline: Love every song on it, it's flawless.
Around the Fur: Love every song on it except "Dai the Flu". Still have to listen to that song more to see if I like it or not.
White Pony: Fucking hate "Teenager". Every other song, I like.
Deftones: Hate "Moana". Just can't get into that song.
B-Sides and Rarities: Love almost every song on there except,  I hate how that Idiot Pilot guy sings on "Teenager".
Saturday Night Wrist: Like most here, I despise "Pink Cellphone". Hate "Riviere".
Diamond Eyes: Almost flawless. Haven't listened to "This Place Is Death" a lot, though.

TheQuietDoom46

SNW - Pink Cellphone & Mein
DE - Beauty School

bloody_liver

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 11, 2009, 01:36 AM
( If this thread already exists, delete mine. )

As we all know, every artist has their part of work that will be disliked by a big majority of fans. And so have the Deftones. Although they are my favorite band to date, they also have some songs that make me wonder: " What the fuck were they thinking while they were composing this ? " or some others I don't hear any Deftones aspect in.

Adrenaline, White Pony and ATF are what I would call " flawless ". Every song from these albums brings something, imo. But s/t and SNW are not what I would call flawless.

S/T:

Moana
To me, it sounds like a mix between Minerva, Battle-Axe and Good Morning Beautiful at the same time. I easily skip that one on my player.

SNW.

Pink Cellphone. That song just bores me, it sounds like a tasteless piece of electro music. Although the sounds mix and the voices are not that annoying to hear, I just don't dig'em that much.

Mein: Nothing much to tell. It's repetitive and tasteless. And considering the brillant things Serj Tankian can do, I seriously wonder if his part is not some kind of joke.

Xerces: I know a lot of you guys will be like " WTF ?! Man this is a gorgeous melody and one Deftones classic ! " but, I don't know, I just don't get to like it. Yeah, the melody is lovely and Chino's voice is enjoyable. But... it sounds... not " dark " enough, I don't know if it's the good description... It sounds too trippy/poppish to be called Deftones stuff.

This is, of course, a personal opinion. Haters can suck my cock.

What about your less-liked ? And why ?

I'm with you about 95% of the way, and as such will not suck 5% of your cock.
Moana was a disaster. As a closer to the album, sure, it had it's structural merit in the way it blasted off into Chino's drug fueled flirtations with the lyrical presense of mythical goddesses. He seems to have a thing for calling up on some pretty other-worldly like chicks straight out of an opium dream.

Mein just came off kinda half assed. Serj was something to be missed.

Pink Cellphone would have worked better without Annie Hardie's buttfucking lesson. Honestly, if it werent for that then the album would had a much stronger stamp of prestige the liked of Fitter Calmer Happier by Radiohead. But in turn it just goes for some humor. If they wanted some jokes why not just break out into a Sarah Conner Hip Hop trip?

Xerces - The ending of this song is ruined. Check out the Bob Ezrin demo. It's instrumental. Chino and Rick from Team Sleep came up with it actually. But in the instrumental it's much more outerspacey and theres a Ken Andrews like guitar solo - simple, subdued and heroine timing. Really blasts you off and the studio remake with Chinos whaling kinda sullies is.

Vesanic

Wow, that was long ago. I still have that opinion today, just not about Moana, it grew on me. I would have prefered Lovers as a closer but Moana totally does it for me.

from_musings

haha talk about moana again :) personally I don't think a song places as a closer just because it's good (lovers)... a closer must feel like it really closes the album, like the song ties the bag. A "the end" feel is a must have.
Moana has that.  lovers doesnt really fit anywhere, but i think it fits better as an opener than a closer if you compare the two vibes of the song (if a had to choose).. lovers feels like it starts something more than it closes something, but lovers insted of needles is my vote!

Vesanic

Quote from: from_musings on Dec 08, 2010, 09:06 PM
haha talk about moana again :) personally I don't think a song places as a closer just because it's good (lovers)... a closer must feel like it really closes the album, like the song ties the bag. A "the end" feel is a must have.

Do you imply that I think Lovers would be a good closer just because it's a good song ? If so, you got me wrong, dude. I think it totally has this " the end " feel and that's precisely why I would have taken it as the S/T closer.

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Dec 08, 2010, 09:10 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Dec 08, 2010, 09:06 PM

Do you imply that I think Lovers would be a good closer just because it's a good song ? If so, you got me wrong, dude. I think it totally has this " the end " feel and that's precisely why I would have taken it as the S/T closer.

okey dokey smokey!

one weak

Rxx

Mein!! sounds like a retail song.. Serj is doing nothing there.

Starz

Quote from: one weak on Dec 08, 2010, 11:15 PM
cmnd/ctrl

This is prob my favorite off DE. "You're out of your mindddddddd"

wither-I

they have made some bad songs

"coming into the nearness of distance"

E-Money

Quote from: Rxx on Dec 08, 2010, 11:33 PM
Mein!! sounds like a retail song.. Serj is doing nothing there.

Yea, I can't stand it.

976-EVIL

This is an impossible task....

1. Mein
2. Teenager
3. Moana

I still like the ones I hate though...brutal thread...
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

one weak

Quote from: Starz on Dec 09, 2010, 02:12 AM
Quote from: one weak on Dec 08, 2010, 11:15 PM
cmnd/ctrl

This is prob my favorite off DE. "You're out of your mindddddddd"
just all seems wrong to me. can't put my finger on it.

bodywars9000

BQAD. What a terrible song. Not memorable at all. Terrible lyrics, repetitive guitar. Definitely not classic. BTW if you believed that you should wake up before the wrath comes.

from_musings

adrenaline - perfect, no bad songs
around the fur - bqad
white pony - teenager (shit alone but serves a purpose for the album)
s/t - needles & pins
snw - cherry waves
de - rocket skates

Hidalgo

bqad? wtf..... now that is ban worthy

that's their masterpiece

rock_n_frost

best :

1- digital bath
2- bqad
3- change
4- passenger