Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Alice in Wonderland

Started by alvarezbassist17, Sep 18, 2009, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvarezbassist17

Official Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjMkNrX60mA

Looks pretty crazy to me.  I didn't really like Depp's version of Willy Wonka, I hope this one goes better.

wither-I

im not sure with this one. CGI might look retarded

"coming into the nearness of distance"

shine down unshy

Looks awesome to me.  Sometimes you have to look past the CG and just let the story suck you in. 

devlin

this looks amazing. i love tim burton. and i love the books alice in wonderland and through the looking glass. he should be able to get the dark creepy feel the books had. i love the disney version but they softened it up a lot.

theis

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Sep 19, 2009, 01:51 AM
looks awful.

I know. Tim, I am thoroughly disappointed in you. First Willy Wonka, and now this?

shine down unshy

lol you guys are crazy.  Maybe it's just because I love Tim Burton's work so much.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I love Tim Burton's work too.

He was awesome up until Planet of the Apes. Garbage. Everything after is crap. Corpse bride was okay, but he was obviously too trying too hard to recreate Nightmare Before Christmas. And Big Fish was okay just because it had a good story but he didn't write it. It was based on a book. What it looks like to me, is that Burton is pulling another Wonka with this. Which infuriates me because he's turning mega hollywood in the fact that he's re-doing all these classic things that don't ever need to be touched again.

devlin

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Sep 19, 2009, 02:54 AM

He was awesome up until Planet of the Apes. Garbage. Everything after is crap. Corpse bride was okay, but he was obviously too trying too hard to recreate Nightmare Before Christmas. And Big Fish was okay just because it had a good story but he didn't write it. It was based on a book. What it looks like to me, is that Burton is pulling another Wonka with this. Which infuriates me because he's turning mega hollywood in the fact that he's re-doing all these classic things that don't ever need to be touched again.

his planet of the apes wasn't very good. i'll give you that but i liked willy wonka and look forward to alice in wonderland. i disagree that he has "turned mega hollywood". he is not remaking any original movies. he is making another movie version of a book. whereas the other versions of these movies made them cute and goofy. he is staying truer to the books and adding a touch of his creepy dark burton style.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: devlin on Sep 19, 2009, 11:33 AM

his planet of the apes wasn't very good. i'll give you that but i liked willy wonka and look forward to alice in wonderland. i disagree that he has "turned mega hollywood". he is not remaking any original movies. he is making another movie version of a book. whereas the other versions of these movies made them cute and goofy. he is staying truer to the books and adding a touch of his creepy dark burton style.

Oh c'mon...you liked Wonka? I can't think of any movie that has ever disappointed me more than that one. His interperetation of Wonka was completely garbage. He said his version was based on the book and not the movie, but I don't see that at all. I've read the book a few times and sure, a couple things in the movie were closer to the book, but I think Gene Wilder's Wonka was more correct. I think "tired old man" was a lot truer to the book than "weird spazzy freak". And the oompa loompas were just crap. You can't beat the oompa loompas of the first movie.

And now Alice In Wonderland just looks like a mega toned down Burton. Nothing about it looks like the classic dark Tim Burton style we all love. Granted, I have never read Alice in Wonderland, but the original freaked me out as a kid. And the Mad Hatter just looks stupid to me.

I must admit, when I saw the pictures before the trailer came out, I was pretty excited because Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum did look pretty creepy. And The Queen looked pretty creepy as well, but that trailer does not show them as creepy characters at all. I am still going to see it because a small part of me still really hopes for the old Nightmare before Christmas/Beetlgeuse/Pee Wee Tim Burton, but I expect another Willy Wonka.

wither-I

PEE WEEEEEEE! that movie scared the living shit out of me when i was a kid oh laaawd

"coming into the nearness of distance"

devlin

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Sep 19, 2009, 12:35 PM
Quote from: devlin on Sep 19, 2009, 11:33 AM

Oh c'mon...you liked Wonka? I can't think of any movie that has ever disappointed me more than that one. His interperetation of Wonka was completely garbage. He said his version was based on the book and not the movie, but I don't see that at all. I've read the book a few times and sure, a couple things in the movie were closer to the book, but I think Gene Wilder's Wonka was more correct. I think "tired old man" was a lot truer to the book than "weird spazzy freak". And the oompa loompas were just crap. You can't beat the oompa loompas of the first movie.

And now Alice In Wonderland just looks like a mega toned down Burton. Nothing about it looks like the classic dark Tim Burton style we all love. Granted, I have never read Alice in Wonderland, but the original freaked me out as a kid. And the Mad Hatter just looks stupid to me.

I must admit, when I saw the pictures before the trailer came out, I was pretty excited because Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum did look pretty creepy. And The Queen looked pretty creepy as well, but that trailer does not show them as creepy characters at all. I am still going to see it because a small part of me still really hopes for the old Nightmare before Christmas/Beetlgeuse/Pee Wee Tim Burton, but I expect another Willy Wonka.

yeah i liked wonka. it's definitly not in my top ten but i thought it was a good movie. i agree they should of had depp's wonka be older, but besides that i have no real issues with the movie.

how did the original alice freak you out? the disney version right? that was good for what it was, i do really enjoy that movie. but it was nothing but fluff. i think the trailer and pictures i've seen for burton's alice looks spot on. a fantastic weird "wonderland" a little dark and creepy but not scary. somewhere in between dream and nightmare. more fear of the unknown, because you never new what to expect. nothing was what it seemed.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I don't know how anyone could have liked Wonka.

devlin

Quote from: wither-I on Sep 19, 2009, 01:28 PM
PEE WEEEEEEE! that movie scared the living shit out of me when i was a kid oh laaawd

i'm not sure if your serious or not. but in one of his movies, can't remeber which one, he is hitch hiking and gets picked up by a old lady truck driver. and she tells him a scary story and then at the end of the story she shows she is a ghost. her eyes get all big and bug out and she gets all freaky looking. scared the shit out of me when i was a kid.

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Sep 20, 2009, 01:02 AM
I don't know how anyone could have liked Wonka.

i really didn't think it was that bad. i think your letting the other movie get in the way. i don't really compare the two. i like them both. totally different movies both based on the same book. both changing things from the book in good and bad ways.

endoeleven

I've been waiting years for this movie, not as dark and twisted as i thought it was gonna be i think.

Jizzlobber

honestly, they couldve got someone better than johnny Depp to play that role..
<

bright lights, big city

It's Tim Burton. When was the last time he directed a movie without Depp?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ben

The best film Burton has ever done is Ed Wood.  Besides that and his early three films (Peewee, Batman, Edward Scissorhands), the dude fails to impress me. 

edit: and beetlejuice...

theis

Quote from: ben on Oct 08, 2009, 04:07 PM
The best film Burton has ever done is Ed Wood. 

fuck yeah!!! without a doubt. that's the only movie he's made that i can stand.

absolutely loathe everything else he's done.

ben

It's sad because Burton could make "normal" films and they would be pretty good.  Unfortunately, he gives way too much attention to his style and his plots have no substance.  The remake kick is embarrassing...