Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Should I re-enlist?

Started by Variable, Oct 04, 2009, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

So I'm going to have to make this decision soon.  like as in a month or two.  But seeing as how I'm going to be in Afghanistan in a week and not around much.  I figured I might as well get some input from you guys now.

So I was planning on getting out.  I like a lot of things about the military.  The friends I make, a fast paced lifestyle, the little adventures I always get to go on and the cool shit I get to do, and every now and then I get to do some real and important work which is awesome.  But I'm so fucking sick of some of the bull shit I have to put up with.  Not to mention I havent been able to go to any school in 4 years because of deployments and training and shit.  Also I have had to live in two places where I have just been miserable because of the location.  School has become really important to me.  So my plan was to get out and use the post 911 G.I. Bill to go to school.  Probably at the University of New Mexico.  I want to get a Bachelors in economics and then apply to law school.  When I'm done with all of that I want to do some kind of public service.  I'm not 100% sure exactly what yet.  But something along the lines of local politics. 

But I dont know.  The thought of being a 30 year old law student isnt really appealing to me.  Plus I have a pretty decent and really steady income right now.  I like that.  So my chain of command is talking to me about my options in the military.  One thing that I'm considering now is a program Independent Duty Corpsman school.  Pretty much its a year long school in San Diego to become a Physicians Assistant in the navy only.  I would still be enlisted, but I would automatically become an E6 on completion of the school.  Then there are a few colleges that have a program to take IDCs and get them a bachelors in health science.  Its 8 classes I would have to take after this year long school to get my bachelors.  I know one guy that just did this.  It took him less that a year to do those classes while still being active duty military.  Once I had that degree there are other bridge programs to take an IDC with a bachelors in health science and get them into real Physicians Assistant school.  So I would go to school ( on the navys money, and they would still be paying me ) for two years for my masters.  Upon completing PA school I would return to active duty but be a Medical Officer.  Being an officer has a lot of perks.  There are other programs I could consider too.  But that one is just the one I'm giving the most thought to right now. 

I know that one of the main reasons I'm considering staying in the military is because of the economy and how stable my pay check is.  I don't like making decisions based on fear.  But I'm also trying to be responsible.  So yeah if any of you have any genuine advice or opinions I would appreciate the input.

Jerry_Curls

I like the way you think and I feel you should spread your intelligence in that realm. Atleast you are doing something. Thank you so much for serving this country...I know I could never do it.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Variable

In that realm as in the military?

Jerry_Curls

Si.

I don't know. A long time ago, I thought you were an ass, but now I get you...and you are smart compared to most of our generation. You would make a great commander in chief. Or whatever position you can obtain.

I always think, just do the right thing. I know you can help spread some knowledge that most don't get...

Actually, don't listen to me, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm here, stuck in nothingness and yet, you're doing something worthwhile. Just make the right decision that your heart wants to. Leave if it isn't you anymore, but if you know you can excel in that position, might as well. I believe in you.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

devilinside

No. You need to stay out,get married and make little smart ass babies. LOL Nah seriously, If you like what you're doing,then stay. The job security in itself would be a good reason to. Plus you're still young,travel the world,live life,and keep coming back with your crazy ass stories! :p

lostpilot

do what you want to do, do what will make you happy - but you know  this already.
I'd say do not re-enlist, but that's only my opinion. I guess you have your own reasons for everything.

Crazylegs

how much would it cost for a semester in a decent school over there in the us?

Variable

It's free for me.  The post 911 GI bill will match the highest state tuition in any state for my undergrad.  So in other words as long as I don't go to a private school, the government is paying for it.

In the military on top of our pay we also get a housing allowance.  It changes depending on the cost of living where you are stationed.  Like mine is $700.00 a month here in 29 palms because its so cheap.  My girl friend lives in San Diego and hers is $1,500.00.  They will pay me that housing allowance while I'm getting my undergrad also.  And a couple hundred a semester for books.  Its a pretty good deal really.  Money for school isn't an issue.

Also though if I stay in for at least 10 years, I can pass that deal off to my kids if I don't use it.  The Navy has tuition assistance while you're in.  So I could get them to pay for school while I'm in and then not have to worry about my kids college fund.  But I would have to pull orders to a shore command....and that just isnt the part of the military that is appealing to me. 

alvarezbassist17

Oh man, I dunno.  That does sound like you get a whole lot of perks from staying in, but I can tell you're just itchin to study economics :)

I guess what it'd come down to for me is if I wanted to stay in medicine or not.  If you were to avoid re-enlistment, how long would your financial assistance last?  Or would it just be in the form of tuition?

Variable

It would be tuition and that housing allowance for the bare minimum time it takes to get an undergrad.  I can't remember the exact time.  Its like 3 years with summer school and shit.   If I stayed in the tuition assistance never stops.  I think the reserves are the same way actually.  I mean either way, money really isn't the issue.  Ill come back from this deployment out of debt and with something like 30,000 in the bank.  Plus if it really comes down it it ( and Im way too prideful for this ) but if I had to, my family has money. 

I'm just not sure what exactly I want.  I used to love medicine in the civilian world.  The Navy kind of burnt me out on it.  But I might like it again once I moved up in the medical rankings to an actual provider. 

I think the real debate for me is that I can take an educational fast track to a good paying and respectable job ( through the Navy ) .  Or I can go the harder path, take more time, but probably go do something I want to do more.  Also, is civilian life really better than military?  Sometimes I worry that Ill get out and be bored as fuck with my life. 

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

The only thing I have to say is, I don't want to see a good man die for something he doesn't believe in.

We don't have enough people like you in the world, buddy.

devilinside

You definately are Treys number one fan!  ;D  Awww....

Variable

Shush.  don't be mad because a lot of us guys on the board have man love for each other.  Its cool, I know you love me too :)

Regardless of my decision though I still have a year long deployment to a pretty bad area of Afghanistan ahead of me.  Not that I'm scarred, because I'm not.  I'm pretty sure ill be fine.

You know its not even that I don't necessarily believe in it anymore.  I mean if it were up to me we wouldn't be anywhere but the U.S.  But, if were going to be there, I say we be there.  Let the generals have their extra 40,000 troops and lets do this shit right.  I believe in some of the things I get to do.  I like helping out the locals medically.  I like setting a good example of what America really is to the Afghan people.  I like it when we actually get to oust some of the real bad guys.  I say it like that because the large majority of people we fight over there aren’t terrorist.  They just want us to go away and see us as invaders and would never have ever though about harming an American until we showed up in their front yard with tanks and guns.  I like being able to be there and look after the marines and sailors I deploy with.  I'm still young but I picked up rank pretty quick and just due to the luck of the draw I happen to have quite a bit more tactical experience than the large majority of people I'm deploying with.  So I like it that I get to help mentor some of them and I know it makes them feel better that someone who has been there before is going with them.  So I like all that.  But yeah, politically, this whole thing is BS.  But the way I see it is that if I die, it would be because I love helping the good people of Afghanistan and I love being a leader to the other troops in the US military.  Not that I would die for this war.  Does that make sense?

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Perfectly respectable, my man. Perfectly respectable.

Nailec

i have no idea what you should do. both life plans sound nice too me.
but i think you can say a word in local politics even though you didnt study economics and/or law. hooray for democracy.

i am admiring how well thought and clear your plans are. actually i am admiring that you have clear views of your life in the first place.

nonesuch

how about you talk about revolution, free thinking, and living for your convictions on the internet

but in real life you should continue to blindly take orders, be completely controlled, and be used as if your nothing more than a piece of machinery

i drink your milkshake

Variable

lol, roger than buddy. 

I know a lot of people have misconceptions about the military.  But I think yours are really bad.  It's no where near as blind and mind controlling as you think.  But I do understand your point.  That's something else I'm taking into consideration.  How sick I am of sometimes not being able to make my own decisions because the Navy or Marines already made them for me. 

indychinoluv

Would anything anyone say on a forum change your mind!

Variable

I know some of these people pretty well actually.  And I'm kind of just looking for general life advice

indychinoluv

Just checking. it would be pretty gay if you did what strangers recomended.