Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Man shoots fiancee, by accident, day before wedding

Started by theis, Oct 12, 2009, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. - A man who thought there was an intruder in his house shot and killed his fiancee the day before they were to be married, police said Friday.

"Right now everything points to a tragic accident," Police Chief Kevin Brunelle told The Associated Press, adding investigators were awaiting forensic results.

John Tabutt, 62, told investigators he got his gun when he thought he heard an intruder, then fired at a figure in the hallway, according to Brunelle. It was Tabutt's live-in fiancee, 62-year-old Nancy Dinsmore, who family members say he was going to marry Saturday. Tabutt told authorities he thought she was next to him in bed the whole time.

A message left for a phone number listed for the house was not returned.

Brunelle said no charges have been filed against Tabutt, adding the information he provided has been verified and he appeared "very distraught."

Tabutt was "very concerned about her well-being," standing by while she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, Brunelle added.

'They loved each other'
The couple planned to wed in a small ceremony Saturday at St. Stephen Catholic Church in Winter Springs, Dinsmore's son-in-law Scott Sposato, of Vero Beach, told the Orlando Sentinel.

"They loved each other," he said. "It was quite apparent."

Tabutt called 911 shortly after 2:30 a.m. Friday, moaning and sobbing, the newspaper reported.

"I thought I had an intruder in the house," he told the emergency dispatcher. "Honest to God, she looks dead."

He then thought he heard her take a breath.

"Hang in there, Honey. Hang in there," he said.

Winter Springs is about 15 miles north of Orlando.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33251920/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Man, that's sad.

Nailec

yeah its sad, dont these guys learn how and when it is appropreiate to use their gun?
like when someone from scientology knocks on your door?  ::)

somehow related

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/08/gun.soccer.mom.dead/index.html

Jacob

really sad.

this is exactly what I was talking about in that other thread where we discussed gun laws.

get rid of the fucking guns already.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Variable

Then we get to see news about couples being murdered when someone really does break into their home and they have no way of defending themselves.  Its lose lose.  Either way there will be tragedy But I like the option where I have the means to be responsible and defend myself.  Maybe more mandatory training before you are allowed to own a firearm?  Because you're always supposed to properly identify your target.  Anyways, both sides of the coin have their downsides.  But like I said, I like being able to own a gun. 

Jacob

and just like I tried to explain in that other thread, you don't read such news here in Sweden for example. people don't just walk into your house and kill you.

but you're sort of right, in the end there's probably nothing you can do about it at this point. if guns were outlawed in the US criminals with guns would run rampant and if guns were legalized in Sweden a lot of dumbasses would get their hands on them and criminals with guns would run rampant.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Nailec

wild guess: sweden is a fine social state (one of the best from what i heard) and so doesnt produce that much criminals

Penicks

This is why guns are fucking retarded and nobody should keep them in their homes.

No More Sugar

^ i disagree with that, but you should have proper training at the time of getting your firearms license, so that makes this guy an idiot.

either way that's really sad. i couldn't imagine what that guys going through.
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

_Fireal_

I want to say "shotgun wedding" but it's not a fitting pun.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on Sep 03, 2009, 10:06 AM
your a much better fireal than i am

" 

Nailec

yeah its too soon probablly. wait for tomorrow

Penicks

Quote from: No More Sugar on Oct 12, 2009, 07:09 PM
^ i disagree with that, but you should have proper training at the time of getting your firearms license, so that makes this guy an idiot.

either way that's really sad. i couldn't imagine what that guys going through.

Firearms' only purpose is to kill people.

Crazylegs

Quote from: Penicks on Oct 12, 2009, 09:41 PM

false. my guess would be that most people use their firearms for hunting (non humanoids). Still, seems like it's gone far beyond that in the states. If i felt the need for a shotgun to be safe in my own home i would move the fuck out. Tragic story though.

Nailec

if i felt the need that i need a shotgun to be safe, the first thing i would do is go see a psychiatrist to cure my paranoia.

but yeah. giving guns to the people is a failed, non-critical and cheap attempt to create the illusion public security. the government could become the impression that its people are safe enough and they dont need to waste money on actual crime prevention.

oh and i dont wanna be in the agency that goes around and collects all the guns of americans :D

"Swords to ploughshares"

ToneDef

tarkil

Quote from: No More Sugar on Oct 12, 2009, 07:09 PM

Exactly... Whole point being allowing idiots to own firearms is fucking mad... And we all know how fucking idiotic are most people...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

wither-I

Quote from: Crazylegs on Oct 13, 2009, 12:09 AM
Quote from: Penicks on Oct 12, 2009, 09:41 PM

false. my guess would be that most people use their firearms for hunting (non humanoids). Still, seems like it's gone far beyond that in the states. If i felt the need for a shotgun to be safe in my own home i would move the fuck out. Tragic story though.

i think we can agree that guns are used to kill. and most of those in production are "people killers"

i dont know much about guns, but i dont like them.

however i do agree that they should be had by anyone with proper attention their fundamental use and safety.

if civilians didnt have guns (speaking of america) i would be scared as fuck man

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Nailec

No More Sugar

Quote from: Nailec on Oct 14, 2009, 01:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atqYLcGyuUY

i leave that uncommented. it would be a cynical comment.

look at that clown on the outside...who's he trying to shoot? i guess he's trying to shoot through the wall.
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

Variable

Guns are used for hunting and actual sport shooting competitions.  But I would agree that their main purpose is to kill.  But thats ok.  If someone is trying to kill me or hurt my family, I would like a gun to defend myself ( thats why I have one ) 
This guy is either an idiot or he murdered her.  How hard would it be to check right next to you to see if your girl was in bed?  would it be that hard to shout out a warning like " who's in my hallway, I have a gun! "? would it be that hard to flip on a light and get a good visual of your target? The only kind of gun reform I see being useful is a lot more mandatory safety and control classes. 
I know most of you will roll your eyes at this.  But I think if you really take an honest look at the world, especially America, you could see how this isn't just paranoia.  But I also believe citizens should be allowed to own guns in the case that they need to rise up against the Government and take their liberties back.  I do believe this was the original intent of the 2nd amendment.  I believe it says something about owning guns in order to raise a militia.  The US government is taking more and more control and is acting more and more radical.   Eventually something has to give.  I think a healthy fear from the Government for private citizens being able to overthrow them is a good thing.  Just a thought.
Also America has a much larger and complicated demographic than a lot of countries ( like Sweden ) Our crime rates are pretty crazy.  I recently read that during the 90s it was actually more dangerous to live in the US than in Afghanistan ( under taliban rule ) thats pretty bad.  So you guys can say its paranoia to think you need a gun for defense or that you should just move.  But its not that simple.  1 its not paranoia, its reality in a lot of areas of the US.  2 you can't always just up and move.  Especially when the crime is practically everywhere.  In 29 palms where I was living before I deployed and where I bought my gun.  If you aren't a Marine or a family member of a Marine.  Chances are ( and this is statistically true ) that you are a felon that couldn't afford to live in LA anymore so you moved to the desert where its cheap.  There're a ton of Samoan gangs that love to outnumber and jump Marines too.  A lot of houses get broken into.  A huge meth and gang problem exist in this city.  But I can't move because its where I am stationed.  I slept with a gun next to me because a lot of houses get broken into and its just a reality that you might need one.   
Yes I understand that it's scary that stupid people can arm themselves.  But stupid people will always do stupid things and end up hurting someone somehow.  Car accidents or knives or whatever.  It will happen. So IN AMERICA, I don't see taking away guns as a good thing for those reasons.  But I do understand the points you guys are making.