Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Coheed and Cambria

Started by sing blue silver, Dec 08, 2009, 04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Oh shit I think this album just hit me.  It takes awhile but it really does have a lot of their classic flairs.  I still don't think it's their best by any means (probably their worst) but it's still pretty good.  I wish they were going down more of a prog path.

sing blue silver

Quote from: defskull on Apr 18, 2010, 05:59 PM
Oh shit I think this album just hit me.  It takes awhile but it really does have a lot of their classic flairs.  I still don't think it's their best by any means (probably their worst) but it's still pretty good.  I wish they were going down more of a prog path.

come and see the light my child. glad you're coming around to it. it's by no means as good as in keeping secrets or good apollo 1 but its a different coheed than those albums. personally i rank them like this.

in keeping secrets
good apollo 1
second stage turbine blade
year of the black rainbow
no world for tomorrow

also last night this happened. this song may be over-rated as fuck and one of my least favorite coheed songs but this was awesome. also the faith no more set that followed blew me away.

Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home (Feat. USC Marching Band) - Live at Coachella

but this was the highlight of the night for me.
Coheed and Cambria - Time Consumer - Live at Coachella

for the whole show go here. http://www.youtube.com/user/JLA491#p/c/E4EBE266E2742C98/0/o-AtI3a7aiE the mixing is pretty horrible as it usually is with these webcasts but it gets better after the first song.

defskull

This would be how I rank them:

in keeping secrets
second stage turbine blade
no world for tomorrow
good apollo 1
year of the black rainbow

The Final Cut is one of my favorite Coheed songs but unfortunately I don't think the rest of the album is that great.  And Black Rainbow does keep getting better and better but I still can't but feel that most of the songs just sound like B-sides off the past two albums.  I'm thinking that maybe Chris Pennie should have just stayed with DEP.  It probably would have worked better for both bands.  But who knows.  Maybe Coheed just needs some more time adjusting to the new drumming force.

Any idea what they're doing next now that they've finished the Armory Wars?

sing blue silver

no word on whats happening next. either a new concept, no concept at all or a new name for the band. time will tell.

and yes i think sometimes chris overplays a little and it doesnt really fit. i still enjoy him though. and how can you not like fuel for the feeding end? that song blows my balls off...in a good way.

defskull

Don't get me wrong, Good Apollo 1 has some great songs, but as a cohesive album I don't think it's the best. 

An bád dubh

Can someone post a link to the album. Still cant find a working link for it for some reason.

sing blue silver

Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Can someone post a link to the album. Still cant find a working link for it for some reason.

buy it

defskull

Yeah the version I bought works just fine.  And this album takes a lot of work, but I think it's worth it.  I mean it has been getting better and better each listen.

I will say this though, I hope this is not the path they are headed down.  I was thinking about why it took so long for me to get into it and I think I figured it out.  They're trying to be too straightforward.  Yes they are experimenting but it really doesn't have any of the prog or pop elements that made them so great in the first place.  You hear pretty much each song and then you know where each song is going to end.  Kind of a shame.

An bád dubh

Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
Quote from: An bád dubh on Apr 20, 2010, 09:26 PM

buy it
That's funny.

An bád dubh

Okay, got the album, will give my thoughts at some points.

An bád dubh

After a couple of listens:

- a pretty okay album, nothing spectacular though
- could do without the first 4 tracks
- "Far" and "This Shattered Symphony" the best songs of the album

Was disappointing though compared to my expectations.

An bád dubh

After some more listening, its a good album if you skip the first 4 tracks. Just start with "Far" and it works.
Are tracks 2 to 4 supposed to be like singles or something? They really dont do anything for me.

sing blue silver

tracks 2 and 4 are singles.but how can you not love the epicness of guns of summer? though there is too much background noise on the whole album. far is one of the best songs they've ever written melody wise in my opinion.

An bád dubh

Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 26, 2010, 06:47 PM
tracks 2 and 4 are singles.but how can you not love the epicness of guns of summer? though there is too much background noise on the whole album. far is one of the best songs they've ever written melody wise in my opinion.
I just listened to it again and the whole song I was just waiting for the song to actually start. So epic? Dont really see it. And yeah, great melodies on "Far", the best song on the album on my opinion. By the way I first read your comment all wrong and thought you were actually saying how the melodies on Guns of Summer are the best theyve ever written and was like whaaaat. Heh, but you know, its good that you enjoy that song too, I wish I did too.

Livewire

Fuck yes, they are finally going to release In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 as comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25227

I know the release date on CBR is listed for May, but it seems it's been pushed back as Amazon has it listed for November.

http://www.amazon.com/Amory-Wars-Vol-3-Keeping-Secrets/dp/160886023X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274370133&sr=8-2

sing blue silver

just got home from the coheed and cambria/circa survive concert. both bands were fucking epic. got to meet coheed and cambria, got the circa set list, and i was front and center for the entire thing. trip was a shit show. had some crazy fun times. full review coming soon. coheed played these songs (not in order)

time consumer
everything evil
in keeping secrets of silent earth 3
three evils
al the killer
a favor house atlantic
welcome home
no world for tomorrow
the broken
guns of summer
here we are juggernaut
far
world of lines
made out of nothing
pearl of the stars

2113 and time consumer blew my fucking mind and all the guys were really cool. more to come when i'm not so fucking tired but it was crazy. let's just say my friend josh woke up in a strangers car wrapped in a tarp with no idea where he was.

indychinoluv

Really really dissapointed with this album. The riffs are fucking killer, but for me, Chris Pennie fucking ruins the potential of an epic album by playing too much (never thought I'd hear myself say this).

It's like he's trying to impress everyone by chucking a fill or roll at every corner and doesn't give the songs any room to breathe and stretch.

Also, got it the same day as Diamond Eyes, so that might be a factor...

There are some great tunes/ideas/structures but it really goes to prove how awesome Josh really was. His drumming made Coheed so much different from all of the other emo/prog bands around and now they've turned into a parody of their former selfs.

Also, what the fuck is this
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home (Feat. USC Marching Band) - Live at Coachella

You have got to be fucking kidding me. What a bunch of shit

sing blue silver

i thought that shit was fucking awesome. but yeah chris over plays like a mother fucker on this album and live. josh left those open spaces and really complimented the other 3 extremely well. i miss him. chris was such a fucking nice guy though. it's kinda hard to stay mad at him once you meet him.

sing blue silver

so this just happened...

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/10/coheed-and-cambria-bassist-michael-todd-armed-robbery-walgreens/

and the band made this statement.

QuoteMichael Todd was arrested today on what we consider very serious charges and therefore he will not be finishing up the current tour. Wes Styles, long time member of the Coheed family will take on bass duties starting tomorrow for the remaining dates. No shows will be canceled.

We are surprised to say the least and will address the situation with Michael after the tour. For now, we just want to have a great time out here and finish with some killer shows in Boston, Poughkeepsie, Quebec City and Halifax.

sucks since i'm seeing them on thursday. won't be the same without mic. he's had his addiction problems in the past with heroin and this seems like a pretty intense relapse. someone i know who recently spoke with ex-coheed drummer josh eppard said when asked about mic that he was "fucking miserable". hopefully he can get clean again and come back into the fold but i don't know. he's been given quite a few chances in the past. i'd miss him a ton though.