Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Coheed and Cambria

Started by sing blue silver, Dec 08, 2009, 04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

yeah that's some serious shit. But wow, that's a charge you don't hear very often on a rock musician.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

sing blue silver

yeah i know. i could hardly believe it. i guess drugs will make you do some fucked up things. how did he think he'd get away with that? mic is actually a very bright guy and when i met him he was incredibly nice and intelligent. this though, this is just really weird and messed up.

sing blue silver

No more Mic Todd. Announcement just made.

http://childrenofthefence.tumblr.com/post/8475445424/the-future

QuoteAfter a lot of thought, introspection and discussion, Coheed and Cambria will be continuing our journey without bassist Michael Todd.  We have spoken to him and this is a mutual decision between both parties. Michael was a great contributor; our hearts go out to his family and to all those who appreciate his talents. We wish him nothing but the very best.

We are currently writing and recording songs for a new album, as well as a couple compilations this fall.  We are very excited about how the songs are shaping up and can't wait to share them with you.

We'd like to thank Wes Styles for filling in for the live gigs in the interim, including the upcoming South America and Mexico shows. A belated thanks to Rob Gill for covering in Boston; and the biggest thank you to all of you for your unwavering support.

A new chapter awaits.

Love,

Coheed and Cambria

skinnypuppy

Makes sense. Addicts are a waste of time anyway.

sing blue silver

I suppose so. Being in the band was obviously no good for Mic's drug habits. I was so excited when he came back to the band in '07 but this time I just don't want him back at all. I just want to see the guy get clean, straighten out the extreme mess he's made of his life, and just get back to being happy and healthy. In the meantime I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to hear what Claudio and Travis will offer us this time. It is kind of sad that only 50% of the original Coheed and Cambria remains but hopefully they keep Wes as a permanent bass player because he is just an amazing musician and extremely nice guy. I wish all the best to Mic although i'm disappointed with the choices he's made. It's a new era for Coheed and I, for one, am optimistic about the future. At least we're finally at a point with this band where we can feel secure that the remaining members have the music as their number one priority and are all professionals about it.

sing blue silver

things certainly don't seem to be getting any better for fans of this band.

from http://cobaltandcalcium.com/2011/11/02/chris-pennie-leaves-coheed-and-cambria/

QuoteAccomplished & influential drummer Chris Pennie, founding member of Dillinger Escape Plan and current member of progressive rock acts Coheed and Cambria, and Return To Earth, announced today that he is exiting Coheed and Cambria. Pennie and the band cited "creative differences" as the primary reasons for the split after the drummer's 4-year tenure with the band.

Pennie officially joined Coheed in 2007, replacing drummer Josh Eppard and touring extensively with the band internationally. He is featured on Coheed's most recent studio album, Year of the Black Rainbow.

Pennie will shift his full attention to his most recent projects, acclaimed progressive metal band Return to Earth (Metal Blade/Bald Freak) and Fight Mannequins. Return To Earth is currently working on their third album after releasing their Metal Blade debut, Automata, in 2010. Fight Mannequins, Pennie's music production company with Return To Earth guitarist Brett Aveni, recently completed their first documentary score and have produced two exciting artists whose albums will be released in 2012.

"I am very thankful for the times I shared the stage with the guys in Coheed and especially want to thank the amazing, supportive fans that I've met while on tour," said Pennie. "There are a lot of exciting projects on the horizon in addition to Return To Earth and Fight Mannequins that I feel require 100 percent of my commitment and attention. I feel that this is the right time to make that happen."

defskull

theis

sing blue silver

bright lights, big city

DEP has only gotten better and better without Pennie.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

But you have no idea what DEP would be like today if he was still with them. Billy Rymer is pretty good but I'd love to see where DEP would be right now if Chris stayed with them.

sing blue silver

first off, can we get this topic name changed to just Coheed and Cambria since YOTBR era is over? but anywhere, here's the real news!

COHEED AND CAMBRIA REUNITE WITH DRUMMER JOSH EPPARD
ENTER STUDIO TO RECORD SIXTH ALBUM

QuoteNovember 16, 2011.
Hello everybody,
We didn't originally plan to make a big splash about this, but when Chris made his announcement, we were ultimately compelled to. We didn't want anyone to be concerned about the state of the band, and trying to keep things quiet was proving to be really tough. And besides, we're just really excited and wanted to share that feeling with you.
Chris Pennie is a dear friend, a superb band-mate and one of the best drummers in the world. He brought a workmanship and sense of professionalism to Coheed that completely improved us as a band, and allowed us to reach new heights. He will always be a member of the Coheed family, and we ask you to support all his endeavors.
As the songs for the new record began twisting into shape, it slowly became apparent that these songs were very dynamic, and could truly flourish with the groove-oriented approach that Josh naturally brings to the table. We also missed Josh as a person -what he meant to us as friends and the energy and humor he exudes. But this isn't about nostalgia; it's about who we are now, and what we can achieve musically and as a family, together going forward.
We understand there are risks involved bringing Josh back into the fray. Even with his two-years of sobriety, this is a giant leap of faith on our part. But at the end of the day, we have all grown up, and we have all been through so much, that playing with Josh again is sort of like coming home. It's comfortable, it's familiar, it just feels right... it's hand in glove.
Last week, we entered Applehead Studios with Michael Birnbaum and Chris Bittner to begin work on our sixth studio album. We're three songs in, can't wait to share it.
Thank you for your continued, unwavering support.
Coheed and Cambria

And a statement from Josh

QuoteLife is odd. I think its fair to say that Coheed and Cambria while often mysterious, has always had a meaningful and honest relationship with it's supporters. I thought it'd be appropriate at this time to address the people that keep the COCA universe alive and well and that's you guys...the fans. The last 5 years was both a humbling learning experience and a heart breaking journey into darkness and eventually the light. I honestly never thought I'd see the day I would be reunited with my bandmates and lifelong friends. I regretted not being a part of Coheed from the day they moved on. Although many things were said in the early part of my first years without the band, I think its clear to those who know me that it was the byproduct of anger and disappointment -with myself. Claudio and Travis's (and Mic's) music has always spoke to me in a way that no other music did. I love them both dearly and missed them with all of my heart. After my time in Coheed, I eventually got clean and got real with myself. With the help of my loved ones I got back on my feet and that meant playing music again. I'd like to extend an enormous debt of gratitude to Fred Masherino who I played with in Terrible Things for the last 2 years. It's no secret that with the damage I had done to my reputation, no one was taking any chances on me. Fred did and I thank him for that. He taught me so much about humility and reminded me of why I play music in the first place. That being said, it was always clear to me playing with anyone that it would never be the magic that I felt with Coheed. I can't believe I get a chance to play for the best fans in the world again. Not many people get a chance to put back together the things they broke long ago. It's good to be back. Welcome home indeed.
Thank you – Josh

sing blue silver

I know I'm pretty much just discussing the band with myself at this point but fuck it...

Coheed got a new bass player!!

Introducing... ZACH COOPER

http://coheedandcambria.com/

kurtone

Its good to see these guys still going, after all the ups and downs theyve had over the years, cant wait to hear what the new music sounds like. Is the new album going to fall into the amory wars or has Claudio made any mention of it?

sing blue silver

It's going to be another concept record that takes place in the same universe, but it's all new characters and I don't think it takes place within the same time period. Just more stories from the Keywork. I'm beyond excited. After how hard the last 2 years were for this band it's nice to see them back at it.

In other, much sadder news, original bassist Mic Todd has recently been diagnosed with cancer. Not many details have been given to the kind of cancer or anythiing but he's been undergoing radiation therapy recently. Mic has had quite a struggle in the past few years with relapses and finally getting clean again. I had the pleasure of meeting him in early 2010 and he is a fantastically nice, wonderful, caring person who has had too many personal struggles the last few years, and I hope for the best for him and his family.

sing blue silver

More shit only I care about! There will be a lie action feature film based on the Coheed and Cambria concept story "The Amory Wars". Probably the last people I would expect to get involved producing it.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056586

Livewire

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jul 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
More shit only I care about! There will be a lie action feature film based on the Coheed and Cambria concept story "The Amory Wars". Probably the last people I would expect to get involved producing it.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056586

I was so excited when I heard about this. I'm wondering if they'll do an entire series of films, like one for each album/chapter, or if they'll try to condense it into one film.

sing blue silver

ONCE AGAIN REQUESTING A NAME CHANGE FOR THIS TOPIC!!!

From Cobaltandcalcium.com:

Coheed and Cambria "The Afterman" Official Trailer
Coheed and Cambria have announced an upcoming double album! The first volume is titled "The Afterman: Ascension" and will be released October 9, 2012 followed by it's second volume, "The Afterman: Descension" slated for release in February 2013.

"The Afterman: Ascension", will be available on both physical and digital platforms October 9, 2012 via Hundred Handed/Everything Evil, and distributed through Fontana/Ingrooves.

Visit CoheedandCambria.com for more info, and sign up to receive pre-order details!

From the press release at AudioPerv:

A deluxe version of the 'The Afterman' will include a hardcover coffee-table book with expansive art by Heidi Taillefer and Nathan Spoor with collaborative written work from singer/creator Claudio Sanchez and writer Peter David that will create a song by song experience. David previously worked with Sanchez on the prose novel adaptation of the band's 2010 album "Year of the Black Rainbow," and the graphic novel adaptation of their 2003 album "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (which reached #4 on the New York Times Bestsellers list for graphic novels earlier this year)." All the band's titles, including 'The Afterman,' fall into a grand sci-fi story arc called 'The Amory Wars."

Musically, 'The Afterman' sees the band perfecting their powerhouse progressive rock, soul and even pop landscapes. The dual release also marks the return of original drummer Josh Eppard, who the band parted ways with in 2006, bringing with him his benchmark percussive grooves. Coheed and Cambria self-financed and co-produced 'The Afterman,' alongside Michael Birnbaum and Chris Bittner, who produced the band's first 3 albums, in Woodstock, NY. The album was mixed by Rich Costey (Muse, The Shins, Foster the People) and Ryan Williams (30 Seconds To Mars).

"This is without a doubt, the most honest record I've ever written," says Sanchez. "Though all the songs can be interpreted through our main character in the story, they were initially written in a very spontaneous manner." "In the past," he continues," I've always had a predetermined idea of what the story was going to be when I approached the songs. With 'The Afterman' being a new story within the ("The Amory Wars") arc, I allowed the events of my life to drive the concept, and therefore opened up the songwriting to a fuller degree."

Following the album announcement, a number of tour dates in the Northeast US and Europe have gone up for sale at Cinderblock

13 September – Ulsted Performing Arts Center (UPAC) – Kingston, NY
19 September – Town Ballroom – Buffalo, NY
20 September – Mod Club – Toronto, ON
21 September – Water Street Music Hall – Rochester, NY
22 September – Hart Theatre at "The Egg" – Albany, NY
24 September – The Westcott Theatre – Syracuse, NY
25 September – Higher Ground – Burlington, VT
26 September – Webster Theater – Hartford, CT
28 September – The Palladium – Worcester, MA
29 September – Showboat – Atlantic City, NJ

31 October – Grunspan – Hamburg, Germany
3 November – Tivoli – Utrecht, Netherlands
4 November – VK Club – Brussels, Belgium
6 November – La Flèche d'or – Paris, France
8 November – KOKO – London, UK
9 November – Glasgow ABC1 – Glasgow, Scotland
11 November – O2 Academy – Birmingham, UK
12 November – The HMV Ritz – Manchester, UK

Same day as new Deftones. Commence my fanboy-gasm.

theis

sing blue silver