Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Oceansize Thread

Started by lostpilot, Dec 08, 2009, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

how dare you!

but really, i never thought of that comparison. sir, i hope you haven't ruined my future Oceansize listening experiences.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

I want the new album so bad

theis

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
how dare you!

but really, i never thought of that comparison. sir, i hope you haven't ruined my future Oceansize listening experiences.

Haha!

I just noticed it in some of their songs.

I don't really have anything against Mayer. He's a talented dude. Not a fan, but not a hater either.

Listen to Unfamiliar and tell me that he doesn't sound a little like Mayer. :D

sing blue silver

Quote from: theis on Aug 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
Okay, so I'm risking a SL beat-down by saying this, but am I the only one who thinks that the vocalist sounds slightly like John Mayer in some of their songs?

yes, you're the only one.

and unfamiliar is probably my favorite oceansize song. don't ruin it for me!

lostpilot

there are some new songs with shitty quality on youtube..

skinnypuppy

lostpilot

Starz

Kerrang! gave the new album 4 K's

lostpilot

lostpilot

the album is out there.
google

lostpilot

Okay, so the new album..

don't read this if you haven't listened yet - otherwise you might be influenced by my thoughts.

[spoiler]Well, definitely not what I expected.. at some level. I guess the trippy/dreamy Oceansize is gone - and they most probably will never create something as concrete in these terms as Effloresce. But the album is definitely a step somewhere (can't say back or forth, just aside), evolution is obvious.

Major standouts of the album - SuperImposer (obviously), Oscar Acceptance Speech, Silent / Transparent. The album is definitely a grower, though I am not sure if there is something beyond what I am hearing now. Musically, the album is up-beat, technically difficult, and experimental to a certain level (yeah, It's My Tail and I'll Chase It If I Want To), but the band stopped inventing new ways to sound, just basically recycle what they have been doing best and experiment in timings and different timing and rhythm collisions. What this album lacks is emotional involvement.. I can't say previous albums were all emotional, but this album lacks emotion whatsoever.. Basically only my three favorite songs express the feelings I was looking for. It's not a bad thing though - Oceansize are traversing through whole different emotions anyway.

Before the grow - only 7/10. [/spoiler]

decapod

Gave the new one 3 spins, and I'm really, really liking it... A lot. "Oscar Acceptance Speech" is amazing. This is the first release I'm going to buy since "Effloresce"

After 3 full listens, baked, with headphones, eating spaghetti, rubbing my left tendril, and starching my socks... 3.5/5

theis

Five songs in and I really, really, really love it.

bright lights, big city

it's no Everyone Into Position, but i still like it so far. might need a few spins to get me REALLY into it like their other releases, though.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Sep 04, 2010, 07:09 PM
it's no Everyone Into Position, but i still like it so far. might need a few spins to get me REALLY into it like their other releases, though.

edit: nvm

Jacob

it's pretty damn good, but unfortunately yet another album with a bit too much screwing around and too few songs that really stand out. "It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To" is already one of my favorite songs by them though. and the album opener is pretty awesome.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

I've listened to it four times today and I can easily see this becoming my favorite Oceansize album. I love every song on it.

Pretty incredible that a band can put out 4 near flawless albums in a 7 year span.

Edit: Just NOW I realize that the album cover is a woman's body. Haha, I thought it was two birds or something.

skinnypuppy

theis

theis

Everyone Into Position
Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Effloresce
Frames