Thrice

Started by theis, Dec 18, 2009, 01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defTHE1s

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Oct 02, 2010, 07:43 PM
If anybody can rip it and upload that would be a beast of a favour

http://is.gd/fBgMu
+ 1000

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

ChannelZer0

anyone have that "wood and wire" remix? i cant get
the donate/download thing to work.
Sorrow

davetonez

I've just started listening to Thrice. I've only heard "The Illusion of Safety," but I'm keen to check out "Vheissu." I've read it being compared to "White Pony" in some reviews.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 22, 2011, 05:50 AM
I've just started listening to Thrice. I've only heard "The Illusion of Safety," but I'm keen to check out "Vheissu." I've read it being compared to "White Pony" in some reviews.
thrice's best imo. i would say it is their White Pony. not necessarily the same sounding album.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

yeah, vheissu is my favorite. the earth will shake might be in my favorite song from them ever.

lostpilot

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
thrice's best imo. i would say it is their White Pony. not necessarily the same sounding album.

I would never compare Deftones and Thrice. Deftones are more.. em, romantic kinda, sexy etc; while Thrice is more about elements, personal feelings about the world and such. But yes, Vheissu is absolutely awesome. And elemental albums, of course :)

theis

Beggars is still my favorite. I love Vheissu, but I'm definitely more into Thrice's softer side.

defskull

I feel like Thrice and Deftones go into each album with a similar mindset about creating new music, but the actual music they create is different.  They are two bands rooted in a particular genre, but they love to do experimental shit.

lostpilot

Thrice is definitely more experimental then Deftones.

E-Money

Quote from: lostpilot on Jan 22, 2011, 11:15 PM

I gotta disagree.  I think they are both very experimental...  I think Pink Maggit is just as experimental as anything thrice has ever done...  Thrice has more songs that are experimental sounding but the tones are pretty unique for a heavier band. 

lostpilot

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 22, 2011, 11:40 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Jan 22, 2011, 11:15 PM

I gotta disagree.  I think they are both very experimental...  I think Pink Maggit is just as experimental as anything thrice has ever done...  Thrice has more songs that are experimental sounding but the tones are pretty unique for a heavier band. 

well, I am not saying that Deftones do not have a unique sound, guitar tones, mixing and mastering in the albums, vocal style - but they are not as experimental as Thrice. Thrice are experimenting more with keyboards, themes (especially within elemental albums), various guitar effects (while Deftones have somewhat solid sound in most of their creations). To repeat myself - I don't say shit about Deftones - I always enjoyed their music, flowing sound (especially in self-titled) but I do not consider them too experimental :)

bright lights, big city

DARIUS HATES THE DEFTONES! BURN HIM!  :D

But seriously, though, you're right. We will never hear the Deftones do anything like the AIr EP
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

davetonez

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 22, 2011, 07:57 AM

Yeah, that's the vibe I got from whatever review I read.

Although I haven't heard much Thrice yet, I still consider the Deftones to be highly experimental, especially considering the 'scene' they were associated with earlier on (Nu Metal). Deftones have a huge variety of influences, and I think that's an element of being experimental itself... It all changes the writing process.

lostpilot

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 23, 2011, 08:07 AM

Although I haven't heard much Thrice yet, I still consider the Deftones to be highly experimental, especially considering the 'scene' they were associated with earlier on (Nu Metal). Deftones have a huge variety of influences, and I think that's an element of being experimental itself... It all changes the writing process.

Man, I have to disagree with you. Three things -

a) experimental-ism in music is highly ephemeral. In your example - appearance of nu-metal as a genre was experimental decades ago - right now it's just obsolete, because the genre basically died and gave roots to other genres. For example, my favorite music genre - post-rock - was considered experimental, also, decades ago. But lately, when most bands started to play similar music it became obsolete.

b) experimental-ism in music is defined by:
- the use of different than usual instruments (Deftones? guitars, bass guitar, keyboards/turntables, drums - nothing here),
- unusual drumming signatures (Deftones? not really. Listen to Oceansize - Frames if you want to hear a mainstream record with varying signatures),
- creating different sounds from traditional instruments (Deftones? yes, the guitar tones are evolved, but go listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor play the guitars with screwdrivers or e-bows and such. That is experimental approach towards the guitar),
- using different song writing structures (Deftones? Listen to Sextape. Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus),
- creating something beyond music, groundbreaking (go listen to Kayo Dot, avant-garde metal band to hear what is music beyond music and tones and rhythms)

c) all in all, experimental-ism is highly subjective. Well - if you listen to Nickelback and shit like this - yes, Deftones will seem highly experimental to you. Just to define it for you perfectly - go and watch Animal Collective's latest visual album, ODDSAC. That is experimental, Deftones is not.

And dude, of course - no offense, just clarifying ideas :)

davetonez

Quote from: lostpilot on Jan 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Quote from: davetonez on Jan 23, 2011, 08:07 AM

Man, I have to disagree with you. Three things -

a) experimental-ism in music is highly ephemeral. In your example - appearance of nu-metal as a genre was experimental decades ago - right now it's just obsolete, because the genre basically died and gave roots to other genres. For example, my favorite music genre - post-rock - was considered experimental, also, decades ago. But lately, when most bands started to play similar music it became obsolete.

b) experimental-ism in music is defined by:
- the use of different than usual instruments (Deftones? guitars, bass guitar, keyboards/turntables, drums - nothing here),
- unusual drumming signatures (Deftones? not really. Listen to Oceansize - Frames if you want to hear a mainstream record with varying signatures),
- creating different sounds from traditional instruments (Deftones? yes, the guitar tones are evolved, but go listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor play the guitars with screwdrivers or e-bows and such. That is experimental approach towards the guitar),
- using different song writing structures (Deftones? Listen to Sextape. Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus),
- creating something beyond music, groundbreaking (go listen to Kayo Dot, avant-garde metal band to hear what is music beyond music and tones and rhythms)

c) all in all, experimental-ism is highly subjective. Well - if you listen to Nickelback and shit like this - yes, Deftones will seem highly experimental to you. Just to define it for you perfectly - go and watch Animal Collective's latest visual album, ODDSAC. That is experimental, Deftones is not.

And dude, of course - no offense, just clarifying ideas :)

Haha hmmm...

a) I consider Adrenaline to be Nu Metal, I think Around the Fur had elements of it but then White Pony came out. For the Deftones to move out of a scene that was still heavily popular meant changing a signiture, developed sound. To change that original direction, I believe is experimenting because the overall style is changed and isn't experimentation defined as "the testing of an idea?" Which in this case is the idea to try something new.

b) I guess the Deftones don't fall into many of those definitions of being experimental... Although it's not consistantly tried, I think they have used unusual instruments before. I'm pretty sure in "The Boys Republic" a didgeridoo is used in the intro. I believe vocals are considered an instrument too (eg- melody), and although Chino is not the first to utilise the sing/scream style, he does apply a range of unusual influences to a heavier scene of music.

c) Point taken, the Deftones may not be as experimental as some other bands out there, but I still consider them experimental compared to many artists. There are thousands of artists in different genres that wouldn't seem near as experimental as the Deftones (eg- pop music, mainstream rock), but there are other bands exploring more things than the Deftones.

skinnypuppy

Thrice will easily become one of the biggest rock bands in the world sooner than later. They have grown and matured in a way you rarely see a band evolve in such a short amount of time, and have a fan-base from ever genre under the sun. It's just a matter of time before they grab an opening slot for Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen and it's game over on them being 'indie'

... Unless they accidentally remain underground like Deftones for the next 20 years.

one weak

while i agree that their growth as a band is far beyond what anyone would have ever imagined, and they by all means could turn that into something commercially successful, but doesn't it seem like they're going in a different direction? If i remember right, they left Island records or whatever it was to go to Vagrant specifically so they could record and do what they wanted. they were narrowed as a band after the success of Vheissu into what you were describing might happen. I think they chose differently.

There's no way they make any of the alchemy index or beggars the way they wanted to without making that leap. Still, it could happen, but I don't think they'll accept major stardom unless it's on their terms.

davetonez

I work at a music store and the last studio album sold pretty poorly, I don't think they'll be opening for the Rolling Stones any time soon.

one weak

yeah, there was hardly any marketing for that record that i can remember, and i´m pretty sure it was made for very little money.]

also, it leaked earlier than they anticipated and they pushed up the digital release to try and make up for lost money. i think that those things kill a band like thrice.

davetonez

Quote from: one weak on Jan 26, 2011, 01:07 AM
yeah, there was hardly any marketing for that record that i can remember, and i´m pretty sure it was made for very little money.]

also, it leaked earlier than they anticipated and they pushed up the digital release to try and make up for lost money. i think that those things kill a band like thrice.

That's true... Happens to a few bands these days hey. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to find a leaked copy of an album early and if I like it, I'll buy it. I don't think many people do that though