audio books

Started by wither-I, Dec 22, 2009, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

does anyone here listen to these?

ive been thinking about trying it out, for something to listen to while i paint

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Nailec

i think youre doing cruelty to a book and its author if you just listen to it while actually doing something else. you probablly would miss too much of the book. and dont evn think about philosophical audio books. they really need full attention.

wither-I

yeah i can see that...

thinking about it now i think youre right...

for instance with my writing i would want someone to discern it visually..

but at the same time poetic stuff sounds good when spoken...

blixa

i'm a really big fan. i've 'read' most of jane austen's books in the car whilst driving. i do prefer reading but sometimes it's nice to be read to. my parent's never read to me when i was a child so it kind of feels like i'm not missing out by listening to audio books.

plus a good british accent telling you about love is a beautiful thing. try it. each person has a different level of percieving words whilst doing something. it's a distraction for some and a brain stimulant for others. i'm a believer that everything around you can be inspiration for a creative outlet. why can't a voice lingering in the background while you paint not be some form of inspiration or other?

wither-I

i dunno jane austen sucks im sorry. i had to read two of her books when i was in school and i hated it. there were a few sentences i thought were profound, but overall too dainty and simple.

maybe an edgar allen poe audio book, since ive already read most everything by him..

or some opera would be nice.. actually that sounds amazing.

does anyone have any opera?

blixa

well, damn it, son. i wasn't telling you to listen to jane austen. she's not to everyone's liking. she's amazing nonetheless.

closed on account of rabies is good if you're looking for something poe inspired.

wither-I

no worries.

whats the closed on account of rabies about? who wrote it?

Nailec

if youre really interested in opera, go buy a cd. i dont really know if the libretto is in the cd but but make sure to have it and to have it read before. when listening to opera you do a lot for general education because you get to know the stories that are inmportant for european culture. could have an inspiring effect on your own art. make your own drawing of isoldes "Liebestod" etc.

but again, an opera also consists of a visual experience so the best way to watch it would be a dvd ;)

im a little nervous kid so i prefer shorter texts as audio books. i listened to Georg Büchners "Lenz", which helped me so much understanding this novella. and some Thomas Mann novellas and stories.

when i was a kid i read dozens of books of the Drizzt saga and later bought me one audio book of it. i was so much disappointed because one audio book was just an hour. it was like an abstract of one text and it also wasnt the original text at all.

blixa

Quote from: wither-I on Dec 22, 2009, 08:36 AM
no worries.

whats the closed on account of rabies about? who wrote it?

it's a two-disc cd with poems and tales of poe performed by various artists.