Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Book of Eli

Started by shine down unshy, Jan 19, 2010, 03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shine down unshy

I love this movie.  It's like Mad Max and Children of Men rolled into one. Who else has seen it?

theis

A movie about a man trying to protect the last Bible on Earth? No thanks.

blixa

i'm pretty sure that they don't tell you what the book is.

and i would believe that protecting the last bible on earth would be the noblest thing a human being can ever do irregardless of whether you believe in religion or not.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: blixa on Jan 19, 2010, 03:29 AM

and i would believe that protecting the last bible on earth would be the noblest thing a human being can ever do irregardless of whether you believe in religion or not.

Why?

theis

I've read plot spoilers and yes, it is the bible.

Deft_16_Ones

Looking forward to this movie

bright lights, big city

I just saw it tonight as part of our annual MLK party. it's not really a big surprise, but yeah it is alluded to fairly obviously that it's the Bible. I did enjoy it actually. Damn good action with some classy ways the directors shot it. The story is interesting and Denzel is good, and then fucking Gary Oldman. GARY OLDMAN. AND TOM WAITS. Who are we kidding, that should reason enough to see this. Fuck any haters.

If you like any post-apocalyptic/dystopia setting like Mad Max, The Road, Fallout, etc. go see it. Speaking of The Road, The Road is overall better but Eli is pretty much that with more action. Best movie (out of 2) I've seen in 2010.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 19, 2010, 05:51 AM
GARY OLDMAN. AND TOM WAITS.

Gotta admit, those two are the single handed reason I have a minimal interest in seeing it.

blixa

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 19, 2010, 03:56 AM

Why?

it has every theme (violence, love, lust, death, incest, forgiveness, faith etc) related to humanity in one book. you can't go any further than that. also its historical aspect. it's the same thing with protecting the last copy of darwin's origin of species if it came down to that even if i didn't believe in evolution, which i do. i would want a copy of it to be around. the bible is a favourite because every word on every page is beautiful irregardless of whether it's talking about the severest form of punishment or god's love for humanity.

blixa

Quote from: theis on Jan 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 19, 2010, 05:51 AM
GARY OLDMAN. AND TOM WAITS.

Gotta admit, those two are the single handed reason I have a minimal interest in seeing it.

have you seen the fisher king? tom waits has an amazing non-credited cameo in that.

theis

Yeah, that's one of my favorite movies. Jeff Bridges = most underrated actor ever.

blixa

so sexy too. i was clicking me fingers all over the place because of his sexiness. on a serious note, the dialogue was nothing short of amazing. gilliam is perfect.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: blixa on Jan 19, 2010, 03:01 PM
so sexy too. i was clicking me fingers all over the place because of his sexiness. on a serious note, the dialogue was nothing short of amazing. gilliam is perfect.
Quote from: theis on Jan 19, 2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, that's one of my favorite movies. Jeff Bridges = most underrated actor ever.
well at least he finally at least won a golden globe for Crazy Heart (haven't seen it yet though). But seriously though, especially upon seeing Big Lebowski 200 times, I think I would go gay for Jeff Bridges. He is the epitome of COOL. He makes just about everything he's in awesome. He needs to win the oscar this year.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

oh yeah and Gilliam ain't too shabby either. I adore Baron Munchausen, among obviously his other classics.
DERP

devilinside

Quote from: devilinside on Jan 18, 2010, 01:00 AM
Book of Eli was a really great movie. <3 Gary Oldman.