Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

M83

Started by godin, Feb 03, 2010, 04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Does it sound like their last album? Because that one was...not good, in my opinion. A few good songs but pretty forgettable overall.

bright lights, big city

I like it a lot more than Saturdays, but just download it anyway. It's kind of a big deal.

Only thing that gets me is that "Outro" is cut off at the end. Right when it gets to its build-up too.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Sushi-X

I listened to it once. Fighting the urge to listen to it until it the CD comes out on Oct

Rocket Skates '94

Inkblades

Is it just me or has Anthony's voice become a lot more high pitched?

sicily

def not you. I really am digging this album, BUT.. There is a lot in here that i can do without.  It seems his theme is still john hughes 80's soundtrack on half the album then the other half is pure old school M83, only issue is that the old m83 like songs are only 1:30 long. I feel like he coulda blown us away if he completed his thoughts on some of those other filler tracks.  In example the didy Where the boats go would have been even more amazing if he expanded on this idea.  i Read a good review last night that hit the nail on the head, why is he trying so hard to sing like arcade fire/vampire weekend/falsetto.  Why is he still stuck in the 80's theme, i do like some but some goes overboard.
im a few listens into this and have total mixed feelings, theres def a handle of songs im not into very much, but of course once he starts working in his drums and layered waves its pure bliss.

poisonwell

Wow the singing really kills this album! Also the last song cuts out, wtf?!

Some songs are outstanding, but they are just too short!

Jacob

any links for the album?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

poisonwell

Quote from: Jacob on Aug 31, 2011, 06:47 PM
any links for the album?

Did you get the link I sent you?

Also this album has seriously grown on me!

bright lights, big city

Yeah he didn't go 22 out of 22 with awesome tracks, but overall I love the album. The second half is brilliant.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

poisonwell

Surely it would of been better if the first half was the 80s style and the second half big epic songs.

Seems a bit weird the way it's just mixed together.

E-Money

I'm really enjoying the album.  I wish it was a little less poppy at times... I was hoping for a little darker record.  But its still amazing in so many ways.  Intro is just amazing.  Absolutely mind blowing.  

And Where the Boats Go should have been much longer.... 

bright lights, big city

Quote from: E-Money on Sep 05, 2011, 04:29 AM

And Where the Boats Go should have been much longer.... 
this is my complaint with like a quarter of the songs.
DERP

rock_n_frost

Just listened the complete album in a very nice quality for 3

Its a damn good album.
What a original sound they did there !..
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Jacob

Quote from: poisonwell on Sep 03, 2011, 05:40 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Aug 31, 2011, 06:47 PM
any links for the album?

Did you get the link I sent you?

Also this album has seriously grown on me!

oh yeah, sorry I didn't reply. very much appreciated, bro.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

BillyNo.9

I know a lot of you guys are fans so could you name a few of their songs that are "hidden gems" if you will. I've tried to get into them a couple of times now and I just hate everything of theirs that I've heard.

bright lights, big city

look up any song from "Before the Dawn Heals Us" on youtube.

this is one of the best M83 songs:

M83- We Own the Sky

one of the better atmospheric tracks:

M83 - By The Kiss
DERP

BillyNo.9

I honestly cannot stand We own the Sky. I resorted to trolling  the comments because I hated it so much. By the Kiss is more my thing but I'm generally not feeling it   :-\

Sushi-X

M83 In the cold im standing

this is one of my absolute favorite songs by them. something to listen to on a chilly night while driving

Rocket Skates '94

defskull

Quote from: sicily on Aug 31, 2011, 01:48 PM
def not you. I really am digging this album, BUT.. There is a lot in here that i can do without.  It seems his theme is still john hughes 80's soundtrack on half the album then the other half is pure old school M83, only issue is that the old m83 like songs are only 1:30 long. I feel like he coulda blown us away if he completed his thoughts on some of those other filler tracks.  In example the didy Where the boats go would have been even more amazing if he expanded on this idea.  i Read a good review last night that hit the nail on the head, why is he trying so hard to sing like arcade fire/vampire weekend/falsetto.  Why is he still stuck in the 80's theme, i do like some but some goes overboard.
im a few listens into this and have total mixed feelings, theres def a handle of songs im not into very much, but of course once he starts working in his drums and layered waves its pure bliss.

This is exactly why I didn't like their last album. The 80s John Hughes soundtrack thing is not why I love M83. Before The Dawn Heals Us is why I love them. That album is the shit.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: defskull on Sep 12, 2011, 12:54 AM
This is exactly why I didn't like their last album. The 80s John Hughes soundtrack thing is not why I love M83. Before The Dawn Heals Us is why I love them. That album is the shit.
I still really like this album even though I'm with you on Before the Dawn Heals Us. I don't think he'll every release anything that can top that album.
And for Billy...

m83 - farewell, goodbye
DERP