Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypuppy

buriedbutbreathing

Is it too early to say I already think this sounds better than Team Sleep? The beginning part kinda reminded me of Portishead's self titled album too, which is cool.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Corleone on Jul 27, 2011, 07:57 AM
Not going to listen till the release, cool that it's soon.
same here, and from everyone else's comments I've got high hopes for this.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

shine down unshy

Where's everyone getting the August 2nd date?  I checked the website and didn't see a release date.  SAUCE PLX.

Inkblades

www.thehundreds.com, which recently did an interview with Chino, verified it would be "at the start of August".

iceache

I'm guessing its going to be less "team sleep"ish and more "deftones"ish music wise... from the sound of the interviewer who got to hear it.. especially when he says "If you're a Deftones fan, you won't be disappointed, if you're not a Deftones fan, you're about to be."

Inkblades

I just realized that I have a post on every page of this thread. I guess you can say I'm kind of looking forward to this.

There will be elements similar to both DT and TS, no doubt, but I also think Crosses will be its own thing.

iceache

Quote from: Inkblades on Jul 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
I just realized that I have a post on every page of this thread. I guess you can say I'm kind of looking forward to this.

There will be elements similar to both DT and TS, no doubt, but I also think Crosses will be its own thing.

Oh yeah, I just don't think they'll ever tour this stuff, which is ok with me.

Apparently it's dropping on Tuesday, which is going to mean it's got my money!

I doubt we'll see it as soon as tuesday, but it would be pretty awesome.

stunt-r

Quote from: TheSeeker1080 on Jul 28, 2011, 03:46 AM
Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 PM
Not sure if these have been seen yet, but pretty low view count. So I figured I would share.

Yeah, I uploaded those a few weeks ago. I got the clips from a link someone had posted on here. Those are the first videos I've ever uploaded on youtube so I didn't expect them to get a lot of views. But if you search crosses chino moreno on youtube they're at least coming up on the first page. Most of the other snippets were really short and didn't sound that impressive so I picked the longest / best ones, although I noticed a few snippets clearly went together but I didn't have the software to splice them together without the .1 second pause.

Quote from: theis on Jul 28, 2011, 01:06 AM
Quote from: iceache on Jul 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo2lJBa0wGE

Sounds promising.

Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 27, 2011, 02:37 AM
It's no mystery that the vast majority of musicians are not religious, and sing about their disbelief in it. But his new tattoo, this new project, some of the newer art work...just some bizarre shit. When Chi was around there was a completely different side of Chino I feel.

Not quite sure what you're implying here; that he is religious or not?

Isn't his new tattoo a tattoo of The Baphomet?

Hey, I'm confused as well.

I noticed that video is pretty weird too, like she is blessing them with holy water or something but why the mask? Also women aren't usually priests (they are but it is rare) then all the people raise their right arm they're saying something you can't make out before they kneel down making the cross. then it shows a hooded / masked person on a pulpit with a fan? A bit esoteric imo. But the music, the actual music and the lyrics at least in this song aren't really esoteric and to me don't reference anything religious.
None of the Crosses clips I've heard so far sound religious or esoteric. And the only thing that sounds religious is the one where he sings "watching the holy ghost."

As for the tattoo, yeah it is Baphomet. here's what he said in an interview about it:

"On a completely unrelated note. I was looking at photos from the Big Day Out and noticed the demon tattoo on your right bicep. When did you get that done?"

"Oh, the baphomet? I got that a few months ago in Belgium."

"Is there a significance behind it?"

"I don't know. I mean, I have other religious tattoos as well. I like the art a lot. I'm really into religious art, but I don't feel too strongly about any one religion. I just take it as it looks. It's probably the only tattoo I've got that I really appreciate, and really like. I wanted a baphomet, and I had a guy draw it up the way I wanted it. He did it perfect, so it's like, you know, something fun to look at."

Hmm, this is the same person who thought it was cool to have a weird picture in the SNW booklet that has a Bible verse from Revelation but it is written in Arabic. Again, pretty strange, esoteric stuff.
Also Baphomet came from the corruption of "mahomet" which is the latinization of "Mohammed." Then about 300 years later when they started torturing some of remaining Knights Templar it showed up in the transcripts of the their "trials" as a term for a pagan idol. Baphomet is usually depicted as the horned goat headed figure making the "as above so below" hand gesture. So that kind of ties in to so-called "Illuminati" as well. Which one could argue why a musician would have it in the first place, well a musician that is on a major record label at least.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. And not only is it the baphomet, but it's extremely demonic looking. Also, it is holding an upside-down cross, generally representing satanism and the mockery of Christ. "Something fun to look at"? I hardly consider that religious art, but to each his own I guess..

In my opinion, this is only going to offend a big majority of his fan base. I know it's his body, and he can do what he wishes. Yet, when you're a very successful musician and you're openly mocking religion you're going to get people shaking their heads at you. As I said before, I love Deftones, and I enjoy every song they have put out to date. I like Team Sleep, and most of the collaborations Chino, or any other Deftones musician has been involved in. I just don't think they should be so open with satanism or their disbelief in any God.

Now back to this "Crosses" side project, the sound is awesome, and like you said the lyrics so far haven't exposed anything religious. The video of that one, it looks like they are praying to a figure that resembles death in my opinion. It looks like a grim reaper without a visible face. I'm not trying to build up paranoia over this band, or anything for that matter, more so just trying to understand what it means. If Chino chooses to be a part of this whole "Illuminati" theory, that's fine, I would rather him just keep it to himself and not try to flaunt his participation in that.

I'm still excited about something new of course, and will definitely listen to it. I am really hoping for a good tour with this one.

elite54

I, for one, like Chino more now if he is mocking religion. Maybe he will get more fans.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: elite54 on Jul 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
I, for one, like Chino more now if he is mocking religion. Maybe he will get more fans.

Yeah I was just about to post something about that, and I saw the message saying "warning someone just posted something" or w/e it says. Mocking religion or more specifically mocking Christianity is HUGELY popular in music now.

For example look at artists like Lady Gaga (someone whose music I can't stand and I wonder how the fuck they are popular in the first place). "She" is extremely mainstream and extremely popular, has some of the most viewed videos on youtube in it's history. And coincidentally she has almost made a career of mocking Christianity.

theis

Haha, he isn't even mocking Christianity. It's a fucking tattoo. Who cares? Lighten up and stop worrying about everything that might offend you.

I have a t-shirt with an upside down cross. Am I an Atheist? Yes. Am I a Satanist? No (Well, not the Christian definition anyways ;)). Is it "something fun to look at"? Hell yes.

I don't believe in neither God or Satan and take everything, that has to do with religion, VERY lightly. It's all fairytales in my eyes. And in that case; Satan is WAY more fun than God.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: theis on Jul 28, 2011, 11:24 PM
Haha, he isn't even mocking Christianity. It's a fucking tattoo. Who cares? Lighten up and stop worrying about everything that might offend you.

I have a t-shirt with an upside down cross. Am I an Atheist? Yes. Am I a Satanist? No (Well, not the Christian definition anyways ;)). Is it "something fun to look at"? Hell yes.

I don't believe in neither God or Satan and take everything, that has to do with religion, VERY lightly. It's all fairytales in my eyes. And in that case; Satan is WAY more fun than God.

Did you watch the crosses video that was posted? It's clearly mocking Christianity, no one is saying the tattoo is mocking, but it is a weird coincidence that he:
1. has this side project called "crosses" which used to be called "the holy ghost"
2. has a video which mocks christian 'ceremony'
3. the snw booklet has a weird looking picture (looks like a pagan god standing next to a man) with a quote from the bible superimposed over it
4. has a tattoo of Baphomet (which is a pagan deity that was later revived as a symbol for occultism and satanism)

You may take religion VERY lightly, that's because you have no religion. Most people who do have a religion don't take it so lightly. I'm currently agnostic so none of this stuff worries me or offends me. I just think it is a bit odd and find it interesting.

stunt-r

Like I said, I know it's going to get mixed reviews. Just my own personal opinion. If anything, you seem like YOU are getting offended.

How do you figure that is something fun to look at? Do you feel super cool in your upside-down cross shirt??

The biggest reason for Atheism is people can't believe in something they have never seen. I am not here to argue religions with anyone, or push anything on anyone. Just to voice my opinion on this new project. I have been a Deftones follower since ATF in '97, and love every bit of it. And have always kept religion away from my taste in music, but it makes an awkward moment when he's branded with a baphomet with an upside-down cross but playing music that you love...understand my point?  

Inkblades

I don't really think the video in the Crosses teaser is "mocking" anything. It was probably just an old film clip they stumbled upon and thought looked cool.

iceache

You guys are reading WAY too much into this.

It's a band, they make music. That is all. Shaun is just having a little fun with the videos.

elite54

i don't think either shaun or chino are actually mocking anything, i don't care if they believe in god or not. but, i wouldn't mind much if they were agnostic or atheist or wrote songs about it.

i just want to jam to this new project, which is looking like it is going to be a delight.

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 28, 2011, 11:38 PM

Like I said, I know it's going to get mixed reviews. Just my own personal opinion. If anything, you seem like YOU are getting offended.

How do you figure that is something fun to look at? Do you feel super cool in your upside-down cross shirt??

The biggest reason for Atheism is people can't believe in something they have never seen. I am not here to argue religions with anyone, or push anything on anyone. Just to voice my opinion on this new project. I have been a Deftones follower since ATF in '97, and love every bit of it. And have always kept religion away from my taste in music, but it makes an awkward moment when he's branded with a baphomet with an upside-down cross but playing music that you love...understand my point? 

It's so obvi you ARE offended. Either listen to the music, love it, and don't care about what Chino gets tattoes on HIS body or stop supporting anything he's affiliated with because you keep coming back to this issue.

Crosses isn't the first band to do this kind of imagery...I'm pretty sure you guys have atleast heard of witchhouse? Salem, ooOooOOOO or however the fuck it's spelled, White Ring, Date Rape, etc... I happen to love the aesthetic and vibe that goes along with this type of music. SOOOO therefore, I will continue to support these bands and CROSSES.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Jul 29, 2011, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure you guys have atleast heard of witchhouse? Salem, ooOooOOOO or however the fuck it's spelled, White Ring, Date Rape, etc...

Who?

spitfire

i dont know where u guys get the 2nd of august date, i dont see it anywhere else, only google entry of release date cames back here to SL