Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

It's curious how Chino has always been into some catholic stuff.

You can even see it here, from 5:05 to 5:30:

Deftones - Mascara live @ Wembley Arena, London, September 19th 2003 [10/16]

luisch

Quote from: pinkmaggit on Aug 07, 2011, 12:19 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the lyrics to all the songs from?
I'm sure someone has posted it amongst all these pages but I don't have the patience to read through all the posts.
Thanks

Here you go

†his is A †rick

Something's changed in your face I notice
A different sparkle in those crazy eyes
Your unmistakable charade I know it
Always tricks me every time.

A million tears, A trillion times
I've seen that glaze and glitch in your eyes.

This is a trick
Hello, hello, I know
What this really is
I know hello, hello, hello

What's the matter with the transformation?
What you've been practicing for days and nights.
While I'm watching the creation of this awful creature that no one likes.

A million tears, A trillion times
I've seen that glaze and glitch in your eyes.

This is a trick
Hello, hello, I know
What this really is
I know hello, hello
This is a trick
Hello, hello, I know
What this really is
I know hello, hello.

I'm so excited I can hardly take it.

This is a trick
Hello, hello, I know
What it really is
I know hello, hello,

It's just a trick
Hello, hello, I know
What it really is
I know hello, hello

Op†ion

I dream a day that god will surface
To retrieve his nails and open your heart.
You'll say you're mine for the ages
Just open your heart and say

"I swear on the cross"
Can you promise this to the grave you'll take my name can you promise me?

Overseas and over mountains
A thousand years I've waited for her
To say the lines "from this day forward"
Just open your heart and say

"I swear on the cross"
Can you promise that to the grave you'll take my name?
Can you promise me?

All this time I've prayed for this day to come true,
No one knows how deep the waves we waded through.
I wish I could take your hand and make it true.
Cause no one knows how far apart we've stayed to get through.

I wish I could take your hand and make it true.
Cause no one knows how far apart we stay to get through.
Can you say "I swear on the cross"
Can you promise that to the grave you'll take my name?
Can you promise me?

Bermuda Locke†

I got to tell you something
I wanna view your dreams
I wanna pull out your crazy and pour it over me.
I might take you somewhere far across the seas
I need your faith, I need your everything.

As you enter into my curse
Our dreams reverse and the demons burst...

So I wait, anticipate to meet you tonight,
Come this way and I will bring your dreams to life.

I wanna move you somewhere close to ecstasy
I might tell you things some which you won't believe
I wanna view the signals that control your brain
I need a taste I need your everything.

As you enter into my curse
Our dreams reverse and the demons burst...
So I wait, anticipate to meet you tonight
Just come this way and I will bring your dreams to life.

From the first time I saw you till now
I have counted the years that have gone by
We'll release those demons tonight, tonight.

So I wait, anticipate to meet you tonight
So I save this occasion to meet you tonight

†hholyghos†

Here on this stainless table
I come inside you and haunt your dreams
Baby I don't mind, you can fake it
But I don't mind, come away with me.

You make a godly servant
Protect your bible between your knees
Baby I won't mind, let me play with it
I don't mind, run away with it.

The funeral party favorite
I'm the ghost in the human shape
Baby I don't mind if you play with me
I don't mind, run away with me.

We'll drink from the waves and feel our souls,
Fall asleep on the graves and seal our souls.
Get drunk on the waves, reveal our souls
Fall asleep on the graves and seal our souls

I know when the angel calls you
You'll cross your fingers then fall asleep
Baby i don't mind if you play with me
i don't mind, come away with me

We'll drink from the waves and feel our souls,
We'll fall asleep on the graves and seal our souls.
Get drunk on the waves, reveal our souls
We fall asleep on the graves and seal our souls.

[Instrumental]
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 07, 2011, 12:39 AM
It's curious how Chino has always been into some catholic stuff.

You can even see it here, from 5:05 to 5:30:

Deftones - Mascara live @ Wembley Arena, London, September 19th 2003 [10/16]

Why is it curious though? Given his background (spanish / chinese and mexican) it's safe to say he grew up Catholic.

asshole

i was expecting him to end the song by screaming... Looks like he just stood there and prayed... Dope
I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

beaverwithfishyshoes

"into catholic stuff"? you mean "into alcohol stuff"

anyway the harmonies on the ep remind me of the '90. i dunno. it made me think of seal. lol.

crosses

Can someone do me a huuuuge favour, please? I'm computer illiterate but was hoping someone can compress Option to be under 6mb, so that i can share it with my blackberry messenger friends? Most are not rock fans but this song's so awesome hopefully it'll convert a few! :p
Thanks!!

jbmp1390

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 06, 2011, 05:48 AM
Quote from: wheresmysnare on Aug 06, 2011, 01:42 AM
the services of your mother for a night

I don't think that was necessary.

thanks vesanic, and billyNo9. appreciate it

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

spitfire

have i said how much i love Bermuda?

defsteve

Quote from: crosses on Aug 07, 2011, 09:29 PM
Can someone do me a huuuuge favour, please? I'm computer illiterate but was hoping someone can compress Option to be under 6mb, so that i can share it with my blackberry messenger friends? Most are not rock fans but this song's so awesome hopefully it'll convert a few! :p
Thanks!!

Don't compress it ! Just share the link www.crossesmusic.com and let them download the EP for themselves (email signup required) ?
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

jbmp1390

If his friends are not likely to enjoy this kind of music, then why would they expend the effort to sign up at the website and download it themselves? He's simply asking a favor so that he can share it more easily. It just proliferates the music more.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

truthaddict

So what is the word on a physical release?

the deft ones

Played the EP for my girlfriend the other day - she doesnt mind deftones, but doesnt love them.
I thought she'd really appreciate Crosses as she doesn't so much dig the heavier side of the 'tones.

Anyway, her words were - "this is fkn shit, and I can't beleive Chino has put his name to it".......?

(for what its worth though - im really enjoying it)

punkflop01

Honestly, it's a nice release but I'm not that impressed.  The vocals are real nice on a couple of the tracks but considering Shaun Lopez and Chino worked on an album like Saturday Night Wrist which is so wonderfully layered and weird, this felt a little too straight forward and plain.  Maybe it'll grow on me...hopefully.

Vesanic

Quote from: truthaddict on Aug 09, 2011, 04:11 AM
So what is the word on a physical release?

I don't think that's gonna happen.

Vesanic

http://www.chinashopmag.com/2011/08/the-deftones-chino-and-fars-shaun-lopez-form-crosses/

The Deftones' Chino and Far's Shaun Lopez Form CROSSES
by Jeff Nau and Sidney Bensimon August 8, 2011 - 5:23 pm

For the past few months, if you tried to dig up any information on Crosses — Chino Moreno's latest project with Far guitarist Shaun Lopez and a mysterious Clint Eastwood-type guitar-slinger named Chuck –  you'd find next to nothing. There might be a reason for that: Crosses isn't Deftones-ish at all. And it ain't really even remotely Far-esque. It's an unorthodox but heady mix of trip-hop, jazz, and some touches of that Northern California brand of hard rock they helped pioneer.

But days ago Chino dropped five free downloads of the Crosses project onto his Facebook page. Here's an interview we got with the guys last month, when the album was still being mixed in Red Bull Studios.

This project only sprung up a few months ago. How did you guys all meet?

Chino Moreno: I remember I mentioned to (Shaun) one day when we were hanging out, y'know, "we should make a record together,"it just so happened that when I move to LA I ended up living a few blocks away from him. I was down here working on recording some vocals with Shaun. We just clicked. We listened to a lot of the same music. We've always worked well together. With this project  in particular, I met chuck (pro) over at Shaun's house. Chuck was working on some of his solo stuff. I don't know when they started working together, but they said they were working on a project together and asked if I was interested in contributing vocals. Whenever they were working, Id just ride my bike over there. A couple different times, I was just like "Let me try singing on this," and they were like, "Ok, cool." I'd just go in and throw in a bunch of ideas. Pretty soon they got rid of the idea of getting a bunch of different singers together. We just started working on the record together. And any time I had a break, I'd just head on over there to see what was going on and stuff. This started maybe 9 months ago, and I'd been on tour for a year and a half. I'd just spend some time over at his studio when I could.

Is there somebody who's a sort of designated songwriter?

Chino: You'd have to ask these guys about that. Most of the songs were written before I came in. I just talked to them and said, y'know, "I really like this, can I sing on it?" I know Chuck will come in with a bunch of chord progressions. He'll send me a couple chord progressions, with really lo-fi beat going on, and you can pretty much hear the beat in there, and send it to me, sort of like "See what you can come up with for this." And him and Shaun will work on laying out the rest of the music. When he gives you a copy of the music, do you pretty much get an idea of what to sing. Shaun says that when he's writing a lot of the time, he already has in mind what I'm going to sing, and will sometimes plan it around that.  It almost seems like, I'm right there with it. I'm never overwhelmed, like, "wow, what am I going to do with this?" It just seems pretty natural. I"ll just go in and throw out melodies.

Shaun Lopez: When we knew we were writing these songs for him, then it became a lot easier. We would put down a couple of tracks and not. Sometimes Chuck would come in with a crazy bassline and the original idea was just to have it be a little segue to the next song. We chopped it all up, put a beat on it, and chopped sections out of the bass, and we started thinking, hey, we have another MIA record kind of thing. And Chino would say, "Oh, I got this," and throw it into the mix of things.

Chuck: Basically what happened was that I moved to LA a couple years ago from the East coast, and pretty much just be accident ran into these guys. It was just lucky that I met him — I was a session player sitting in for some dude who was a friend of his and Shaun came in.

Chuck, no offense, but you're the only one involved in this who's not a 'name player', for lack of a better term. What and how did you contribute?

Chuck: Well I was mostly an instrumental musician, sort of like a dub/jazz/rock guy. I've always lived on the East Coast, and getting back to the process, I'll start with something that's almost like a sample, and it's a piece of music that never makes it onto (the album). It's just like a spark of creativity that sets things going. I The sketch of the whole thing gets laid out, and everybody jumps in. That's pretty much the process — it's pretty organic. It just happens

Is there a certain East Coast scene, a vibe you feel you brought with you?

Chuck: I guess the Florida one, definitely. I guess just because we all shared certain influences, and the influences we had in common — and the ones we didn't share, we wanted to know about.

Chino: Chuck definitely got me into a bunch of stuff I'd never really had the chance to listen to before. I started really digging it. And now, I totally hear that influence, and it kind of just happens. A lot of the time people will make a conscious effort, y'know I want it to sound like this band and this band and that band. When we started out, the only thing I remember saying is that "maybe we should make a couple of uptempo joints, so the whole album isn't quite so sad."We didn't want to make it all one dimensional. Music wise, influence wise, it all just sort of happened. With Deftones and me, the best stuff we make is the stuff that isn't formulated, — the stuff is better when it naturally comes out.

I always figured that with The Deftones, it was all you guys strictly composing. I don't know why, it just gave me that vibe...

Chino: We never started out that way, but we never allowed ourselves to get that way either. We kinda would just hit a spot we didn't like, and we'd work to figure it out. The best songs kind of make themselves. Those are when the best songs are made, when everything's free-form.

How is the tour going to work? You guys are known for pretty much being T-shirts and jeans and playing shows like Warped, but are you going to have to sport certain outfits more suited to the sound? Or do you care?

Shaun: We have yet to think about playing live. But even beyond hyping the music up, we want it to come out and see how different people react to it. As far as press, this is the first interview we've done. Explaining your music, and this especially is very difficult. We  could name influences, but even then people get the wrong idea. I think we just kind of want to release it and see what happens. If there's a demand for us to play a show, we'll play a show.

Chino: I don't have any plans to change. I've been wearing pretty much the same shoes and shirts for the past 15 years, and I have no plans to change.

What are the bands you guys did have in common? As far as influences?

Chino: Well, if we talk about influences, people get the wrong idea...

Chuck: There's nothing that we really don't like, I dunno. Chino can really just get down with some cheesy Top 40 pop songs...

Chino: And again, Chuck got me into all sorts of different music. He really has a vast library of stuff. Miles Davis, Coltrane...he got me into a lot of stuff I'd always wanted to hear...

As far as release date, can you give us a clue as to when it's going to be out in its entirety, and what's gonna be on it?

Chino: We pretty much got about 16 songs that we're working on, and that we've committed to the record. That's a lot for me. When The Deftones write a record, we write 12 songs, and we put 12 songs on the record. But a lot of the stuff we write will never get used. But it will spark the idea for a song and  we can go from there. We're talking about doing maybe like 4 EPs, 4 songs each, and just putting them out in parts.

Words by Jeff Nau. Photos by Sidney Bensimon.

UrZ*

And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

skinnypuppy

I played Crosses for my GF and she hasn't taken it out of her car since I gave it to her. She loves it, but hates Deftones. She said she likes Crosses because there's song structure? And according to her Deftones doesnt have any...

Penicks

tell that cunt to listen to deftones again

Inkblades

Is she a fan of hard rock music in general? Maybe she just digs softer stuff.

skinnypuppy

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 09, 2011, 08:25 PM
Is she a fan of hard rock music in general? Maybe she just digs softer stuff.

exactly that. she doesnt like deftones in general, but also, according to her, based off their lack of structure. ha. im going to make her a 'softones' mix cd and throw in some team sleep.