Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Nick Drake

Started by tarkil, Feb 07, 2010, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarkil

So I just discovered that guy today, and couldn't find any topic about him in there.
I only listened to one album yet, but it's pure liquid gold right there in your ears.

I'm advising anyone to download this, and listen to it :
Nick Drake - Pink Moon

For a quick Wikipedia biography, here you go :
Nicholas Rodney "Nick" Drake (19 June 1948 – 25 November 1974) was an English singer-songwriter and musician. Best known for the sombre pieces composed on his primary instrument, the guitar, Drake was also proficient at piano, clarinet and saxophone. Although he failed to find a wide audience during his lifetime, Drake's work has gradually achieved wider notice and recognition, to the point that he now ranks among the most influential English singer-songwriters of the last 50 years.[2][3][4]

Drake signed to Island Records when he was 20 years old and released his debut album, Five Leaves Left, in 1969. By 1972, he had recorded two more albums—Bryter Layter and Pink Moon. None of the albums sold more than 5,000 copies on their initial release.[5] His reluctance to perform live or be interviewed further contributed to his lack of commercial success. Despite this, he was able to gather a loyal group of fans who would champion his music. One such person was his manager, Joe Boyd, who had a clause put into his own contract with Island Records that ensured Drake's records would never go out of print. Drake suffered from depression and insomnia throughout his life, and these topics were often reflected in his lyrics. Upon completion of his third album, 1972's Pink Moon, he withdrew from both live performance and recording, retreating to his parents' home in rural Warwickshire. On 25 November 1974, Drake died from an overdose of amitriptyline, a prescribed antidepressant; he was 26 years old.

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

theis

Yeah, he's great. If you like Nick Drake, you should check out Elliott Smith too (If you haven't already).

blixa

you just discovered nick drake? today? really? why did i always assume you knew about him already?

i wouldn't make the comparison to elliott smith that much though. maybe it's just me...

todd hannigan sounds exactly like nick drake. it's so unsettling. and while we're at it, i highly suggest you check out jackson c. frank, tarkil. you'll love him. drake has covered his music before.

pillswithwine

His first album, Five Leaves Left (1969) is amazing as well.  Different from Pink Moon (which is just Nick and his guitar, with the exception of about 10 seconds of piano in the song Pink Moon), as it has a lot more orchestration, production, layers, etc.  The first Nick Drake album I ever heard, literally 30 seconds into the first song and I already could tell that I was going to love it.  Amazing song writer and inventive guitar player, and a great voice.  Too bad he wasn't popular in his lifetime, which definitely added to his depression and social anxieties.   

chick de la lynch

I got Pink Moon recently, and it is such a beautiful album. It's short, but sweet.

Fireal1222

i own the albums, "pink moon" and "bryter layter".. pink moon is an incredible album. but five leaves left is my favorite of his work...

this thread inspired me to take bryter layter with me to listen to on the ride to my friends house in a little while

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

blixa

five leaves left is mentioned really lovingly in a book called 'god-shaped hole' by tiffanie debartolo. allusions to jeff buckley and his life run throughout the book.

No More Sugar

Wow, thanks for showing me this. I'm always trying to find more great acoustic artists to inspire me.

I love his work almost as much as elliott smith, but i agree with Blixa, i wouldn't compare the two very much...
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

blixa

i suggest that for anyone who loves drake's music to look into jackson c. frank. he was brilliant.