Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'd have no problem with them recording new vocals on the as-yet unfinished tracks. JUST as long as they got Terry Date back in the studio to produce them.

I think I'd be okay with this as well.

cvthedrv

Quote from: nicklav on May 23, 2013, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Shadow46/2 on May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM
I'd have no problem with them recording new vocals on the as-yet unfinished tracks. JUST as long as they got Terry Date back in the studio to produce them.

I think I'd be okay with this as well.

that would be right man!

gwenudo

Was it like it seemed?...

play

so chino thinks theres 6 songs done on eros.

pinata89

Quote from: play on May 29, 2013, 11:30 AM
so chino thinks theres 6 songs done on eros.

Yeah, but by finished I think he means "with vocals."  From my understanding, instrumental tracks have been completed in their entirety.  So 6 songs complete, to me, means 75% finished.

Inkblades

There's usually 11 songs on a Deftones album, so that probably means he has to record vocals for 5 songs.

SwerveCityUSA

why do people want a bunch of tracks on an album? I want less, I mean 8-12 is perfect, anymore after that give me 2 albums. theres some punk and rap or like the beatles or something that can pull out 14 or so, but fuck that, just take me on a nice 30- 45 min journey and I'll give you my 10 bucks.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

MaximumPezcore

The best albums are short and sweet, I say. I just kinda lose interest when it goes over the hour mark. Plenty of fat to trim on certain long albums...

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I agree general rule is keep it short but I also think a long album when done properly can be truly epic, The Wall by Pink Floyd comes to mind as an example, the way it uses the extra duration to tell a detailed story is great, I just hate faux long albums,you know those albums that claim to have like 15 songs but only has about 9-10 songs of any substance after ignoring interludes and filler tracks.

pinata89

While I agree with most of what is being said regarding long v. short albums, I do think some albums contain necessary filler material to create the musical environment and complete the "story" or theme the artist had in mind--not necessarily tracks that are meant to be listened to on their own, but in context with a larger picture.  A few albums that come to my mind are Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins and The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails.  There are certainly filler tracks on each, for sure, but I feel they are strategically placed in the sequence for a reason.

Braincleaner

Some albums are so strong that passing the 1 hour mark isn't a problem at all. Take Superunknown by Soundgarden. It's a remarkable album (to say the least) and it clocks in on 1 hour and 15 minutes, with 15 songs (16 if you count the european version)

With that said i think Deftones would handle a longer album with no problems, they've always been solid songwriters.

Capt Snow

Eros will probably be the last album the Deftones will release, better not fuck that up with a record that's too long or too short for that matter.

SwerveCityUSA

funny thing is, each deftones album pushes 40-50 mins anyway. I would get bored with any band past that. I really get tired of all those mellon collie and the wall albums. those are ok and worthy but I just want 10 tracks of perfection, enough with a pretty package and too much ambition, just stick to the roots.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Capt Snow on Jun 05, 2013, 07:51 PM
Eros will probably be the last album the Deftones will release, better not fuck that up with a record that's too long or too short for that matter.

why do people say stuff like that? no band has ever been together longer and more continuous than the deftones, that's whats funny, theyre never going to quit, what reason would you even have to think that? history says no, not a chance.

Capt Snow

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jun 06, 2013, 02:41 PM

why do people say stuff like that? no band has ever been together longer and more continuous than the deftones, that's whats funny, theyre never going to quit, what reason would you even have to think that? history says no, not a chance.

Chino did say in an interview somewhere that after Diamond Eyes he would like to make a couple more albums. And he also said that he would release a completely new album as a successor to KNY and afterwards possibly release Eros.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Capt Snow on Jun 06, 2013, 02:52 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jun 06, 2013, 02:41 PM

Chino did say in an interview somewhere that after Diamond Eyes he would like to make a couple more albums. And he also said that he would release a completely new album as a successor to KNY and afterwards possibly release Eros.

who cares what he said. they rely off of vibes, if they planned it out they would be like every other band.

lftpp

QuoteWhile we're on the subject of Deftones, your bassist Chi Cheng passed away in April after spending about five years in a coma. Do you have plans to release Eros, the final album he recorded with you but shelved in 2008?

I get asked about that record a lot. For a while, I was giving the same answer, "No, no, no, no, no, no, no." After Chi's passing, I went back and listened to some of the record and it was a pretty intense experience to say the least. I think it should be released, but we don't have any definite plans. There's some work to do on it. Deftones have been moving forward in a strong, positive motion, so for us to stop and reflect on something five years ago, I don't know if we're ready for that. I'm not sure that's where we want to put our energy. It is a special thing for us: it's the last thing Chi played on. It will see the light of day. I just don't know when.
http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/06/24/chino-moreno-deftones

ignore the fashion

I think it will still be a few years before we hear it, if we ever do.

SwerveCityUSA

I've been coming to that conclusion two that it will be a little while, and that's perfectly fine. With Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, they've hit a beautiful prowess and there's no question their truly best album is next, so forget about eros, that'll be a treat when the day comes, a very special gem, I would say anywhere between a year or three before eros, no longer than that, what would be the point? I'm just excited for the next album.