Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deftones-argentina

Just a little correction: 19 songs were recorded for disintegration. Most of them went to the album & came as b-sides, and the rest (I think they were 3 or 4) were released in it's deluxe edition which came out Last year.

In the Case of Kiss me, about 14 songs were left out on the record and never surfaced. And I remember Robert telling they did a mamooth 33 song demo for the self titled record.

100Modem

Isn't Beauty School a song that was in Eros?

iceache

TheyCallMeP

I've heard it wasn't either, but the opening guitar lines in beauty school do sound similar to the opening guitar lines in the "making-of" youtube video series of Eros. I don't know if they re-worked it or what

Deftones-argentina

they just have a similar drum pattern.

pony_01

its definitely rework..

Vesanic

Quote from: pony_01 on Jul 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
its definitely rework..

No. For crying out loud, NONE of the material used for Eros was used or re-worked for Diamond Eyes. Eros' songs were never touched again since Chi's accident.

pony_01

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
its definitely rework..

No. For crying out loud, NONE of the material used for Eros was used or re-worked for Diamond Eyes. Eros' songs were never touched again since Chi's accident.

i dont really believe with what Chino or the band said about EROS.. but finishing Diamond Eyes for less than a year?? with new new materials?? I dont think so. IMHO some songs or maybe one definitely a reworked. that's why the album finished so fast.
They maybe like
C: "hey abe i like this drum pattern, lets use this on a new song!"
A: "but thats from a song off from EROS, we cant do that"
C: "we're in the fucking deadline. do it!"

Vesanic

Quote from: pony_01 on Jul 29, 2011, 12:15 PMfinishing Diamond Eyes for less than a year?? with new new materials?? I dont think so.

Ever heard of an album called " Around the Fur " that took just as much time to be finished ?

from_musings

yeah pony 1 is right about one thing... never trust these guys. they don't say things to give us facts, they say things to look good

snw9

its definitely rework..

Quote from: pony_01 on Jul 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
its definitely rework..

i dont really believe with what Chino or the band said about EROS.. but finishing Diamond Eyes for less than a year?? with new new materials?? I dont think so. IMHO some songs or maybe one definitely a reworked. that's why the album finished so fast.
They maybe like
C: "hey abe i like this drum pattern, lets use this on a new song!"
A: "but thats from a song off from EROS, we cant do that"
C: "we're in the fucking deadline. do it!"

Gathering from interviews, Steph has mentioned that they went on a song a day and also said that if he write a song, he can finish it over a day. The producer had them on a fixed schedule writing and recording the songs plus and Chino didn't get too involved in the song writing as he used to. The other records took long because of their mindset, laziness, battling for song writing...

Around the fur was the same case, band wrote the music and chino wrote the lyrics and that took 4 months I believe? That was also because they were happy at the time.
Code: [Select]

snw9

its definitely rework..

Yes that is true, no material from Eros has resurfaced on Diamond eyes. Maybe they stole the idea from that intro video but its not a rework

100Modem

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jul 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
I've heard it wasn't either, but the opening guitar lines in beauty school do sound similar to the opening guitar lines in the "making-of" youtube video series of Eros. I don't know if they re-worked it or what

Yeah i think it was that video i saw too.

pinkmaggit

I'm definitely with Vesanic on this one.
The band stated in mumerous interviews that DE is completely new material and that nothing was taken from Eros.
Why would they lie about that and why is it so difficult to believe?
I think that with everything going on (most obviously Chi's accident) it was as they said therapeutic to make more music and then Sergio came in and introduced something new, the creativity began to flow and they were able to come up with an album much quicker than usual.
I'm sure Nick Raskulinecz helped speed things along nicely too. Don't get me wrong - I love Terry's production more than anything but I think Nick was needed at this point in time and being a new producer to the Tones or maybe just because of the way he works, he was able to get a lot out of them.
I read another interview which said that Stef was using the riff that became Rocket Skates as sort of a warm up exercise and Nick encouraged them to make a song out of it, so it sounds like he was the perfect producer to get things rollings.
I hear a slight similarity between Beauty School and the Eros clip intro but only in one small section of the intro of the drum pattern. The rest of the drum pattern and the riff is completely different IMO.
Of course we don't even know if the intro to the Eros clips was going to be on the Eros album anyway.
Personally I wish they'd just do whatever they still have to to get Eros finished, release it and give all the proceeds to Chi for his medical bills.
Sure it sounds honourable to wait for him to regain consciousness and it would be like a fairytale if they could release it when he's ready to tour with the band again but the reality is that the guy seriously needs
the money right right now.
I'm sure Eros would sell well. It could get a lot of publicity because of it's cause and people wouldn't download it instead of buying it for the sake of morals, so it could potentially mean a lot of money going Chi's way. I'd buy 3 copies if I knew the money was going to Chi.

snw9

Quote from: pinkmaggit on Jul 30, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm definitely with Vesanic on this one.
The band stated in mumerous interviews that DE is completely new material and that nothing was taken from Eros.
Why would they lie about that and why is it so difficult to believe?
I think that with everything going on (most obviously Chi's accident) it was as they said therapeutic to make more music and then Sergio came in and introduced something new, the creativity began to flow and they were able to come up with an album much quicker than usual.
I'm sure Nick Raskulinecz helped speed things along nicely too. Don't get me wrong - I love Terry's production more than anything but I think Nick was needed at this point in time and being a new producer to the Tones or maybe just because of the way he works, he was able to get a lot out of them.
I read another interview which said that Stef was using the riff that became Rocket Skates as sort of a warm up exercise and Nick encouraged them to make a song out of it, so it sounds like he was the perfect producer to get things rollings.
I hear a slight similarity between Beauty School and the Eros clip intro but only in one small section of the intro of the drum pattern. The rest of the drum pattern and the riff is completely different IMO.
Of course we don't even know if the intro to the Eros clips was going to be on the Eros album anyway.
Personally I wish they'd just do whatever they still have to to get Eros finished, release it and give all the proceeds to Chi for his medical bills.
Sure it sounds honourable to wait for him to regain consciousness and it would be like a fairytale if they could release it when he's ready to tour with the band again but the reality is that the guy seriously needs
the money right right now.
I'm sure Eros would sell well. It could get a lot of publicity because of it's cause and people wouldn't download it instead of buying it for the sake of morals, so it could potentially mean a lot of money going Chi's way. I'd buy 3 copies if I knew the money was going to Chi.

I would agree that the proceeds should go to Chi but unfortunately the record label will never let that happen. To them its just another stock waiting to get their return on. I have suggested that deftones re-record some of their old songs and sell those themselves. It would be a great way to market their revamped songs to new fans as well as be a great incentive to "purchase" the songs to help CHI. Plus I don't think the current label has copyrights over their old demos so legally they're allowed to do whatever they want with those songs. As for Eros, The amount of cash and time that was invested into it will just be another cost for Reprise/Warner Bros to recover.

pinkmaggit

Good point Juvenile.
What a pity though - I wish that the record company could forget about filling their pockets for a while and do what I suggested. I know it doesn't make business sense and as such will never happen but it would be a great act of humanity if they did and would be a nice way to say thanks to Chi for his contributions over the years. Probably as much chance as peace on earth

Inkblades

They don't have to worry about the record label anymore because they aren't on it.

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Jul 30, 2011, 11:56 PM
They don't have to worry about the record label anymore because they aren't on it.

Who owns the music then?

Electron§

No leaks or anything of that sort from this album?

pony_01

have Terry Date ever speak about EROS after Chi's accident??