Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snw9

Quote from: juvenile on Aug 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Quote from: juvenile on Aug 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
IN the self-titled videos theres a piece of a song playing, before it goes into an introduction to a jam of hexagram in the studio......a file floats around with that piece by the name "XO"...

Yeah but that's a mislabelling I'm pretty sure. I guess it's just a random jam thing by the boys. XO and FYIHYD are SNW process dated, I believe, so that wouldn't make sense.

Oh I was under the impression that XO was a self-titled outtake from I read here in the past. If what your saying is correct then that  confirms what I said about a SNW interview. If I remember correctly, it was chino who mentioned they have written 16 songs for SNW, 12 for the main record, Jealous guy cover, drive cover and the wax and wane cover which adds up to 15 making XO the final 16th track.

I remember another one where abe said they would have to vote what songs will go on the record..ill try and dig those interviews up

According to this interview by Abe in 2006 take from deftonesworld.com, http://www.deftonesworld.com/interview-deftones-mtv-2006.htm

Ye old Saturday Night Wrist had 17 songs on completion, not 16:

"It's been over a year since the Deftones left Pink Floyd producer Bob Ezrin's snow-swathed home studio in Connecticut for the sun-drenched sands of balmy Malibu, California, where they've since re-examined, tweaked and re-recorded the material they'd managed to put to tape before the cold got the best of them. At this stage, Deftones have 17 songs on the verge of completion. Frontman - and perfectionist - Chino Moreno is still tracking vocals for the new tunes. "

We've only heard 15 and FYIHYD is during the SNW era as well so that leaves just one!
Code: [Select]

Inkblades

What about the Ezrin demos? There were a lot of songs there. Who knows if Chino ever even sang on any of the ones that didn't make it.

snw9

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 22, 2011, 01:22 AM
What about the Ezrin demos? There were a lot of songs there. Who knows if Chino ever even sang on any of the ones that didn't make it.

Its possible, for example there's the Buffalo/FOD instrumental that Chino and Serj were suppose to work on but opted to work on Mein instead.

XJohnnyX

why is this still discussed?

Electron§

Quote from: juvenile on Aug 23, 2011, 05:26 AM

Its possible, for example there's the Buffalo/FOD instrumental that Chino and Serj were suppose to work on but opted to work on Mein instead.
Most epicly stupid choice ever.

Quote from: XJohnnyX on Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
why is this still discussed?

Because we want to hear and know about these songs.

sphynx

in that interview with abe, which i remember, it says abe expects the album to have a dozen tracks (including one called "america"). does anyone know which one was going to be titled "america" and got the title changed or was it one of the demos? or of course there's a possibility none of us know.

Corleone

pretty sure america is combat

Deftones-argentina

I'm sure America is rats, I rember asking steph via a webstream.

Vesanic

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Sep 23, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'm sure America is rats, I rember asking steph via a webstream.

Correct.

from_musings

Quote from: Electron§ on Aug 24, 2011, 08:58 AM
Quote from: juvenile on Aug 23, 2011, 05:26 AM

Most epicly stupid choice ever.

i love buffalo/fod and think leaving it out of snw was a really bad choice, but to have serj singing on this beautiful song with his awful goofy voice would totally ruin the song and the atmosphere on it. then i'm better off with no studio version at all. i'm glad he sang on mein insted

Vesanic

Wait, what ? I know System of a Down is not for everybody but don't tell me Serj Tankian is not a good vocalist, that's just plain dumb.

from_musings

as you probably know,i didn't say he can't sing, just that i don't like his voice and style at all. for example, ther're skilled opera singers who can sing too, but that doesn't mean it sounds good to everyones ears. are you fine with anyone singing on a deftones record as long as they can sing?

Vesanic

You said he had a goofy voice, that's wrong. Yeah in a good part of SOAD songs he sings in a sarcastic ridiculous manner but that's on purpose, out of that he has a really lovely voice.

System Of A Down - Chop Suey! live (HD/DVD Quality)

Watch from 2:38 to 2:58, and especially at 2:44... If you don't like it, well, fine, and I admit that's not even how he sings now, he doesn't sound as good today, but can you really call that goofy ?

And I've never said I was okay with anyone singing on a Deftones song as long as they can sing ? No, I don't even know why you're bringing that up. Thinking for everyone as always, right ? :)

And the fact Serj is a good vocalist to me doesn't mean I think he would fit in a Deftones song. And I actually don't.

from_musings

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
he has a really lovely voice

that's as "wrong" as me saying he sounds goofy. just opinions. i think serj sounds goofy,silly when he sings -even when he tries to sound serious. awful to my ears, certainly wouldn't want that shit in buffalo.don't like the sound of his voice even if he can hit notes.goofy doesn't mean that he can't sing - like justin hawkins in darkness, he can sing too but it sounds goofy

sing blue silver

i don't really think serj is a good singer at all but i love SOAD and i love his voice as part of SOAD... his solo stuff is garbage. i think he'd have done well with a bigger part in mein. my real gripe with him in that song is its only 5 fucking words so it's completely useless.

m

Chi said in a Polish interview in 2006 that Serj wrote the vocal line to the whole song but Chino left only that shitty part.

asshole

i still want to hear .white woman. Cause the snippet that nun posted years ago was bit different on vocals... And i think he had that whole track.
I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

Vesanic

I thought White Woman was Needles and Pins ?

snw9

Quote from: asshole on Oct 01, 2011, 02:21 PM
i still want to hear .white woman. Cause the snippet that nun posted years ago was bit different on vocals... And i think he had that whole track.

Its the same song except the vocals were mixed differently. That goes for all the snippets from the self-titled sessions. I believe this was discussed in the S/T demos thread so you may want to look through that.

Electron§

Anyone have any info on the song in this specific clip? Maybe "Chillers" or "Trempest"?

Deftones eros in studio 2008 clip 3