Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Trempest is the weirdest stripper name ever.

Supposedly Destiny is the song at the beginning of each Eros snippet videos aka the song that everyone thinks morphed into Beauty School.

Electron§

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 06, 2011, 08:06 PM
Trempest is the weirdest stripper name ever.

Supposedly Destiny is the song at the beginning of each Eros snippet videos aka the song that everyone thinks morphed into Beauty School.

Its a real name I think.

Where did this information come from?

Electron§

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 06, 2011, 03:13 AM
Found it:

http://deftones-archives.com/engine9/engine_2009-02.htm

http://http://deftones-archives.com/engine9/images/divers/titres_travail_Eros.jpg

"There are 8 tracks on this picture (temporary?) Of Eros, the future album.

Mercedes, Melanie (already played live), Brenda, Cindi, Destiny, Asia, Briana Candy and thus confirm that the story of an album with just the names of strippers was not a schoolboy prank. ^ ^

After that, there is no guarantee that these "titles" will be reflected in the final album will be remembered, for example, New Murderer become Feiticeira of Tilde become Xerces ..."

So I guess now then we can say that the official track list for Eros was (at least at the time):

1. You've Seen The Butcher (this demo released on Deftones myspace page, not the D.E. version: Deftones Demo)
2. Destiny
3. Dallas
4. Melanie
5. Trempest
6. Mercedes
7. Brenda
8. Cindi
9. Asia
10. Briana
11. Candy

And if the album has 11 tracks, then we've already heard little snippets of four of them, and the full live version of one of them, so there's still six songs we have no idea about.

Thoughts?

Also, these eight songs were probably the ones Chino was talking about which were written in only two weeks.

snw9

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 07, 2011, 04:10 AM
Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 06, 2011, 03:13 AM
Found it:

http://deftones-archives.com/engine9/engine_2009-02.htm

http://http://deftones-archives.com/engine9/images/divers/titres_travail_Eros.jpg

"There are 8 tracks on this picture (temporary?) Of Eros, the future album.

Mercedes, Melanie (already played live), Brenda, Cindi, Destiny, Asia, Briana Candy and thus confirm that the story of an album with just the names of strippers was not a schoolboy prank. ^ ^

After that, there is no guarantee that these "titles" will be reflected in the final album will be remembered, for example, New Murderer become Feiticeira of Tilde become Xerces ..."

So I guess now then we can say that the official track list for Eros was (at least at the time):

1. You've Seen The Butcher (this demo released on Deftones myspace page, not the D.E. version: Deftones Demo)
2. Destiny
3. Dallas
4. Melanie
5. Trempest
6. Mercedes
7. Brenda
8. Cindi
9. Asia
10. Briana
11. Candy

And if the album has 11 tracks, then we've already heard little snippets of four of them, and the full live version of one of them, so there's still six songs we have no idea about.

Thoughts?

Also, these eight songs were probably the ones Chino was talking about which were written in only two weeks.

Wow thats quite fast. I think the fastest they've written a group of songs all together compared to their previous records. Can someone confirm?!
Code: [Select]

from_musings

sure about this? chino said that songwriting was unfocused on eros and that much studio time was spent socializing and becoming friends again. playing poker, the board game risk and what not ^ they began writing early in 2007 and they planned to release the album in late 2008, which later was delayed to 2009. I thought it was a fairly slow process compared to atf and d.e. you're not thinking of d.e?

Electron§

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 08, 2011, 03:58 AM
sure about this? chino said that songwriting was unfocused on eros and that much studio time was spent socializing and becoming friends again. playing poker, the board game risk and what not ^ they began writing early in 2007 and they planned to release the album in late 2008, which later was delayed to 2009. I thought it was a fairly slow process compared to atf and d.e. you're not thinking of d.e?

Actually now that I think about it and have read it again, I'm not sure if he was talking about D.E. or Eros:

"Eros is sacred and special to us and, at this point, it's the last thing that Chi has played on, but I really felt like looking forward. After the first two weeks, we had about eight songs. On the last few records, it took us a year to get that much material. And it happened naturally. It was great."
Moreno had had issues with Eros, enjoying its experimental edge but fearing its songwriting was too untidy. He wanted to improve that on what would become their new album, Diamond Eyes. At least part of the reason for that was because he had come to a startling realisation."

I don't think the making of Eros was particularly slow, as if it was, it would seem it would be just like White Pony, S/T, and SNW in the sense that it dragged on. So I imagine it was *relatively* fast.

pony_01

once again, i believe 70-80% of DE material are  from EROS session, thats what make the record finished sooo fast (for the tones). if they did have the 'fast writing process' , we should already heard teaser for new single in mid 2012, i believe.

Electron§

Found this interview, Abe says that they were in the middle of mixing Eros when they halted production, and that Chino only had a *few thing* to finish up vocally, as well as the art work was almost completed.

Electron§

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 08, 2011, 10:18 AM
once again, i believe 70-80% of DE material are  from EROS session, thats what make the record finished sooo fast (for the tones). if they did have the 'fast writing process' , we should already heard teaser for new single in mid 2012, i believe.

But Diamond Eyes doesn't sound unorthodox to me at all. Thats the problem with that hypothesis.

pony_01

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 08, 2011, 10:20 AM

But Diamond Eyes doesn't sound unorthodox to me at all. Thats the problem with that hypothesis.

according to what Sergio said, DE quiet sounds like EROS. Do you remember the Bob Ezrin demos? thats really unorthodox to me, but when the SNW comes out.... meh... I think that's what happened to DE + Sergio came in and add some touch to the songs.

Electron§

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 08, 2011, 10:27 AM
once again, i believe 70-80% of DE material are  from EROS session, thats what make the record finished sooo fast (for the tones). if they did have the 'fast writing process' , we should already heard teaser for new single in mid 2012, i believe.

according to what Sergio said, DE quiet sounds like EROS. Do you remember the Bob Ezrin demos? thats really unorthodox to me, but when the SNW comes out.... meh... I think that's what happened to DE + Sergio came in and add some touch to the songs.

I'd like to not believe Sergio. All the members of Deftones seem to have a knack for contradicting themselves many times over the course of one interview, so Sergio has just been hanging around Chino and the gang too much.  :D

from_musings

Quote from: Electron§ on Nov 08, 2011, 04:47 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Nov 08, 2011, 03:58 AM

Actually now that I think about it and have read it again, I'm not sure if he was talking about D.E. or Eros:

"Eros is sacred and special to us and, at this point, it's the last thing that Chi has played on, but I really felt like looking forward. After the first two weeks, we had about eight songs. On the last few records, it took us a year to get that much material. And it happened naturally. It was great."
Moreno had had issues with Eros, enjoying its experimental edge but fearing its songwriting was too untidy. He wanted to improve that on what would become their new album, Diamond Eyes. At least part of the reason for that was because he had come to a startling realisation."

I don't think the making of Eros was particularly slow, as if it was, it would seem it would be just like White Pony, S/T, and SNW in the sense that it dragged on. So I imagine it was *relatively* fast.

definitley eros they talked about. i just didn't remember them saying so. but like always, they switch the story from time to time  :)

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 08, 2011, 10:27 AM

According to what Chino says, Eros sounds NOTHING like Diamond Eyes. (http://www.spin.com/articles/studio-deftones)  Check out everything he says... he basically contradicts Sergio completely.  I'm more apt to believe Chino, honestly...   

"...we still have Eros. It's a really experimental, dark record for us..."
"But when the accident happened, we just didn't want to be in that time anymore. We had to start looking to the future. We needed to create something more optimistic."

So by definition I would assume EROS is more like S/T (dark, experimental), and Diamond Eyes was a more optimistic, poppy record ON PURPOSE.  For a reason.  Not to sell out and gain a larger fan base, but rather to reflect the kind of vibe they wanted to bring.  They wanted optimism, they wanted happy thoughts, for Chi's sake.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

sooniletugo

How do we know that song similar to Beauty School is called Destiny? I just love that song though... sounds amazing. I hope we hear Eros in the near future.

Electron§

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Nov 08, 2011, 06:43 PM

So by definition I would assume EROS is more like S/T (dark, experimental),

I really hope your right.  ;D

Inkblades

Quote from: sooniletugo on Nov 08, 2011, 11:55 PM
How do we know that song similar to Beauty School is called Destiny? I just love that song though... sounds amazing. I hope we hear Eros in the near future.

Someone close to the band told me.

Electron§

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 09, 2011, 12:10 AM

HOW CLOSE?  :o

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 09, 2011, 12:10 AM

What ? I didn't tell you anything... ;D

Electron§

I have a confession to make.....

I'm Terry Date's cousins brother in laws sons wife's daughters boyfriends uncles teachers friends aunts employee.

kitesvera

I still cant believe people are talking about DE being most of the Eros sessions. Go ask Shaun Lopez on facebook chat, seriously. He told me himself that Eros, was the record he preferred in comparison to DE. He also told me that nothing for Eros is on Diamond Eyes. How hard is to grasp that they just stopped with Eros, shelved it, and wrote an entirely new batch of songs with Sergio, that became Diamond Eyes. Is it really that hard to understand. And no matter how many people think so, the music in the one video that people think is Beauty School, is not Beauty School. Similar sounding, yes. Same song, no. Deftones, Sergio and Shaun Lopez have all stated as fact that Eros, is a completely different record from Diamond Eyes. Those are the facts.