Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: Reichward on Apr 11, 2016, 01:39 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 11, 2016, 01:28 AM
Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 11, 2016, 12:41 AM
I bet we don't hear anything from Eros until they are completely done making new records which makes since to me. Which begs the question. How many more do you think they have in them?

I think they have a lot more in them. They'll be making music together for however long they enjoy it, regardless of any other factors. And for god's sake, don't mention Stef's interview. I get it, dude wasn't thrilled to be involved at first, but that changed. Besides, it's not like none of them have felt that way before. Stuff like that happens, but they're still willing to try, and then eventually they do get into it and excited, so nothing has really changed.

I'm not worried about Stef saying that he feels kind of excluded because of Chino's ambitions and the band's musical direction. I'm more worried about them getting old. One day they're going to get tired of Deftones and just retire, they'll have their current side projects to keep life going. This day may not come anytime soon, but when it does I won't be surprised.

Hopefully it seems that they are still very motivated, so we can assume that there's more where it comes from. As for Eros, I think that it's pointless to look for it at this point. But if, someday, I see an update on their facebook or instagram teasing an eventual release for Eros... I'll just lose my shit.

Of course it'll happen eventually, but for now they still enjoy hanging out and making music, so I'm not too worried. As for Eros, it'll probably just pop up out of nowhere, like Smile, haha.

WickedBreath

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 10, 2016, 10:52 PM
Quote from: WickedBreath on Apr 10, 2016, 12:34 PM

The way I interpret it is that Chino means touring when he says "have Sergio learn Chi's parts", because he talks about finishing the album before. Anyway I thought that everything except for Chino's vocal parts were done based on past interviews and info. Can anybody confirm?

It says in that interview I linked to that the material was only about 75% done, and the band wasn't very happy with the material they had

Oh yeah, you're right about that. As from_musings said, there seems to be some conflicting information... Or then someone simply fucked up the transcript of this interview (since there are various interviews claiming the opposite). Personally, if it was only missing vocals, I'd prefer it to come out that way than with a bunch of layers that were added years and years after, but if it wasn't finished even musically, I'm not so sure.

As much as I am intrigued by Eros, it has indeed become painfully obvious that the band (well, Chino) is not focused on it at all. However, even if it's well-documented that Chino prefers Diamond Eyes for instance, I do believe Eros will come out sooner or later. And while it's hard to not consider it, it seems as if asking about the album only shoves it farther away. Hence I try to not think about too much - for sure there will still be more new music from Deftones besides Gore and Eros, anyway.

defTHE1s

"@DownloadFest @deftones Hey congratulations on a fantastic new album! My question is....Will you ever release Eros??? #DLQA"
https://twitter.com/seandoona/status/719909117255671808

"@seandoona  Hey sean. Hmmm, it's possible. But it would have to be finished first.
Thnx -F #DLQA"
https://twitter.com/DownloadFest/status/719963157674852352

Frank and Abe on the Download Fest Q&A

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Hidalgo

we know Eros is at least "good", because we've heard 2 finished songs, & the music for "dallas"(which has Stephen literally soloing. not a boarderline solo either). and all their other albums being good, it's safe to say this one is too. it's just unfinished, so it'd be like half bob ezrin demos/ half basically finished(smile) kinda deal

i think Chino willl leak it for us years & years from now if they decide to never finish it.

krook

1 band member dead = 1 eros song released, that's the formula.
It's cruel, I know.
I hate White Pony.

ChickenNoodle

IIRC there are three live recordings of melanie and I think two of them are from the ventura show. I only remember watching one of the ventura recordings but I dont think Ive seen/heard the other.  Im only asking because my youtube search skills have failed me so I cant see for myself. Hope someone points me in the right direction.

Vesanic

Quote from: ChickenNoodle on Apr 16, 2016, 11:49 PM
IIRC there are three live recordings of melanie and I think two of them are from the ventura show. I only remember watching one of the ventura recordings but I dont think Ive seen/heard the other.  Im only asking because my youtube search skills have failed me so I cant see for myself. Hope someone points me in the right direction.

Melanie was recorded at The Ventura and The Spaceland, both were uploaded. I think they played it a third time but I'm not sure.

! No longer available

! No longer available

To be honest, these days I'm having a hard time watching pre-2009 footage.

ANattyRat

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 17, 2016, 12:27 AM
Quote from: ChickenNoodle on Apr 16, 2016, 11:49 PM

To be honest, these days I'm having a hard time watching pre-2009 footage.

How come?

Vesanic

It's just Chi, man. I know, it's been a while and all I don't want to sound negative, but for some reason, with this whole re-invigorated Deftones vibe and shit, it's like it never fully hit me before.

the7thsaga

As much as I enjoy Gore, I really wish we had some more concrete information regarding the status of this album, like in regards to how "incomplete" it is. I was of the understanding that it was completely written and recorded, musically, but that only half the songs had vocals. Can anybody fill me in if I'm mistaken?

therealdaebat

Quote from: the7thsaga on Apr 20, 2016, 08:12 PM
As much as I enjoy Gore, I really wish we had some more concrete information regarding the status of this album, like in regards to how "incomplete" it is. I was of the understanding that it was completely written and recorded, musically, but that only half the songs had vocals. Can anybody fill me in if I'm mistaken?

Here's my thing... you all want Eros but look at how long it took them to finalize Gore. I have a very high suspicion that we will never hear it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 17, 2016, 12:44 AM
It's just Chi, man. I know, it's been a while and all I don't want to sound negative, but for some reason, with this whole re-invigorated Deftones vibe and shit, it's like it never fully hit me before.
wow. That's really deep man. I sorta feel this way but could never really put it into a few words....that sucks man. As big a fan u are, my sympathy goes out to u.  I think I was at my worst about it right at the initial accident but as time went on it was horrible. making diamond eyes at least gave me some hope as if the band could get through it, us fans could I guess. At least for myself.  At the same time I always under that "hope" have felt that Deftones would never be the same again and they haven't obviously. you're right, it's even more than a new era I guess. We are left to either love it or hate it  like anything else. If I could think of any other groups in history who lost an arm or a leg say Wu-Tang for example, I think Deftones have come out of it stronger comparatively and that's the most I can say to the positive. I mean look at Metallica. Lots of bad music IMO after Burton died almost the same exact way with exception of a couple more classics after.... Or The Who even, etc etc... I have grown closer to this new invigorated DT after Gore was released bc I genuinely LOVE the whole record and possibly found a little more hope. Still, I am a bit weary about the future because a few years can change a lot of things.I posted a couple days ago somewhere how I felt about the future and it goes along with this whole deal. Cheers to more surprises. RIP Cheng
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Vesanic

Yeah, sorry for the cheap emotion..

I even looked back at the pictures of him while he was in treatment, you know. Looking back, it's kinda harsh, I mean there was not a chance in a million Chi would ever get back on feet. Looking at these pictures again, it's just so obvious. But thinking back, I swear, I was not feeling like this at all. I was blindly lifted by some desperate hope, like the ripped wires inside his skull could actually get glued together sometime again. I kept checking on all updates, read all the statuses his mother would post about it, would ask for news from some relatives, etc. Something to do with faith, maybe? And it really blows my mind, I'm no believer at all usually..

The Cyndicate

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 26, 2016, 09:29 PM
Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 17, 2016, 12:44 AM
wow. That's really deep man. I sorta feel this way but could never really put it into a few words....that sucks man. As big a fan u are, my sympathy goes out to u.  I think I was at my worst about it right at the initial accident but as time went on it was horrible. making diamond eyes at least gave me some hope as if the band could get through it, us fans could I guess. At least for myself.  At the same time I always under that "hope" have felt that Deftones would never be the same again and they haven't obviously. you're right, it's even more than a new era I guess. We are left to either love it or hate it  like anything else. If I could think of any other groups in history who lost an arm or a leg say Wu-Tang for example, I think Deftones have come out of it stronger comparatively and that's the most I can say to the positive. I have grown closer to this new invigorated DT after Gore was released bc I genuinely LOVE the whole record and possibly found a little more hope. Still, I am a bit weary about the future because a few years can change a lot of things.I posted a couple days ago somewhere how I felt about the future and it goes along with this whole deal. Cheers to more surprises. RIP Cheng

I was with Chi, right before the accident.
We hung out in Vegas, at the Palms. Most of the time was out back, just hanging out, resting. Him and Stephen.

Honestly, it felt like hanging out with someone doomed.
He was introverted, super nice and loved his trees. Kind of too good for this earth type thing.

Then like a week later, it all happened, made me sick. I'm still sick.

This album needs to drop, completed or not.

77years

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 26, 2016, 09:44 PM
Yeah, sorry for the cheap emotion..

I even looked back at the pictures of him while he was in treatment, you know. Looking back, it's kinda harsh, I mean there was not a chance in a million Chi would ever get back on feet. Looking at these pictures again, it's just so obvious. But thinking back, I swear, I was not feeling like this at all. I was blindly lifted by some desperate hope, like the ripped wires inside his skull could actually get glued together sometime again. I kept checking on all updates, read all the statuses his mother would post about it, would ask for news from some relatives, etc. Something to do with faith, maybe? And it really blows my mind, I'm no believer at all usually..

This is exactly how I have felt, and continue to feel. That's why the emotionally heavy stuff released since hits so hard and powerfully

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Same here it's all human. I secretly accepted it then, is the difference between us.  I actually had a deck made without wheels when I was down in Key West, it has the self-titled cover on the bottom and says "one love for Chi"( I will post it sometime I know I've said this before)but when I told the guy what I wanted I actually wrote RIP Chi and this was early 2009....and  realized what I had just written and wrote properly what I was going for. I was embarrassed even though this guy had no idea who he was or what happened but I was embarrassed for myself and ashamed even though it was an accident. I think looking back, at that moment was when I knew in my heart somehow that there was no way he was coming out of it and I'm sorry for that.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

When I met the band during Chi's life, I met everyone except Frank and Chi. I have met them three times since Chi's death and met Sergio and now Frank. I will always regret that I didn't get to shake his hand and thank him. I like To think I'm a man who lives with no regrets.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on Apr 26, 2016, 10:02 PM
When I met the band during Chi's life, I met everyone except Frank and Chi. I have met them three times since Chi's death and met Sergio and now Frank. I will always regret that I didn't get to shake his hand and thank him. I like To think I'm a man who lives with no regrets.

Chi likes to hide away.

Remember "Chi" by Korn?

I wish you could have met him though. Just a nice guy all the way around.

I do miss him.

Cullision

I think people underestimate how important Chi was to the sound of this band, the bass play is so incredible on the old albums. It's literally one of the things that drew me to deftones in the beginning.