Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Breaking Bad

Started by lithium, Apr 12, 2010, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmp1390

Good episode I suppose. I was irritated by it more than anything. I'm so tired of Skyler. I understand that we're not supposed to like her but at this point she is negatively affecting the show. She's adding nothing and bringing it to a halt whenever she is on screen. If she's not dead within the next 2 episodes, I am going to seriously reconsider continuing to watch this season.  She has not right to be such a cunt. They need to either have something happen that makes her check her entire bitchy, retarded attitude and straighten up and fly right or kill her. Or have her sent to a mental institution or something. If they don't get rid of her soon, I might be done with this show. I realize it's just a TV show, but at this point I literally feel insulted by the writers. How long do they expect us to sit through all her bullshit and keep watching? As soon as she got rid of the kids and said she wanted walt's cancer to come back she became useless to have on the show. She's served her purpose.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

chick de la lynch

I'm going to GREATLY disagree with you on this one. If this were the fourth season, I would have probably agreed with you. For me, Skyler has actually become a likable and sympathetic character and it's a little unfair to call her a bitch at this point. In the past, yes, she has done some annoying things but how can you not feel sympathy for her? Her husband makes meth! Walt entered this business without her consent. She didn't have a say in this. At all. She was left with a choice and she chose the best decision in a series of horrible decisions--stay with him and launder his money. Just because she made that decision doesn't mean she has to be happy about it and it's obvious his career path hasn't sat well with her, which it shouldn't.

Now with people getting hurt and killed in this business, it's hitting her that this business her husband dragged her into is dangerous. He's no longer just the cook, he's the kingpin. She has seen a change in Walt for the complete worse. She has to think about the children now. Walt insists the children are in no danger, but considering the fact Gus threatened to kill his newborn, the audience knows its complete bullshit. Walt obviously doesn't have anything in control anymore. I don't blame Skyler for having a mental breakdown. Her life has been turned completely upside down and she has just realized she is married to a monster. None of this was her doing. It fell into her lap. That doesn't make her a bitch--it makes her human.

If she were to be completely normal while in this business with Walt, that would have been bad writing on the writers' part.

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

jbmp1390

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm going to GREATLY disagree with you on this one. If this were the fourth season, I would have probably agreed with you. For me, Skyler has actually become a likable and sympathetic character and it's a little unfair to call her a bitch at this point. In the past, yes, she has done some annoying things but how can you not feel sympathy for her? Her husband makes meth! Walt entered this business without her consent. She didn't have a say in this. At all. She was left with a choice and she chose the best decision in a series of horrible decisions--stay with him and launder his money. Just because she made that decision doesn't mean she has to be happy about it and it's obvious his career path hasn't sat well with her, which it shouldn't.

Now with people getting hurt and killed in this business, it's hitting her that this business her husband dragged her into is dangerous. He's no longer just the cook, he's the kingpin. She has seen a change in Walt for the complete worse. She has to think about the children now. Walt insists the children are in no danger, but considering the fact Gus threatened to kill his newborn, the audience knows its complete bullshit. Walt obviously doesn't have anything in control anymore. I don't blame Skyler for having a mental breakdown. Her life has been turned completely upside down and she has just realized she is married to a monster. None of this was her doing. It fell into her lap. That doesn't make her a bitch--it makes her human.

If she were to be completely normal while in this business with Walt, that would have been bad writing on the writers' part.

You are basically right. I still don't have any sympathy for her though. I did at a point, but not after some of the things she has said. Yes, Walt is the one who started everything without her knowledge. But what she has no ability to understand is that he did it all for her. And the reason he got back in was because he had to save her ass after she STOLE HIS MONEY and gave it to some guy that she used to fuck. The money is, or was initially, for her and the children but she doesn't give a shit. I don't believe she even really gives a shit about the kids. Everything is about her. Oh Walt I'm your prisoner wah wah wah. She had ample opportunity to act like a woman who gave a shit and leave when she first learned what was happening. She made her choice. Not only did she choose to stay, she chose to get INTO the business. Almost happily at first. Because all she cared about was the money. Not once did she ever think REALLY think about what Walt was going through to get it. And now she's getting freaked out because bad things are happening. Well no shit bad things will happen. It's the fucking meth business. She should have thought about what she was getting into. She could have given up Walt and left with the kids long ago. But she couldn't resist the money because that's all she cares about. And not for her family. Just what it could do for her. Walt is selfish, but so is she. I just think it's really stupid to knowingly get into that kind of business, and then be surprised when negative things start happening. I understand her being conflicted, but she signed up so she can feel free to get over it. Walt may have made the choice to do it in the first place, but she ultimately chose to make herself a serious part of it. She wants to take no responsibility for anything she has done, or hasn't done, and blame everything on Walt. There is nothing I hate more than people who refuse to examine their own actions. I could go on and on but you get my drift. She's in now, that was her choice, and not only does she now have to live with it. She has to be all in. I don't really give a fuck what's going on. You're husband starts this to take care of you and the kids, you find out and rather than be rational and leave, you go right along with it and make yourself an integral part of it. Then when things stop working completely to YOUR advantage and only then do you start having moral issues. Then you have the balls to tell him you want him to die from the very thing that pushed him into this life in the first place. And he didn't do it for him he did it for you. Give me a break. It's like she wants to live in some fantasy world where Walt just makes shitloads of disposable money that she can give away to old fuck buddies, and he cooks meth, but nothing bad ever comes from it. I will say that it speaks to the writing of this show that they can make a character like her so incredibly unsympathetic. As you stated, it's pretty relevant for her to feel the way she does. At least it WAS in the past, but not anymore. I'm just waiting for her to get bodied. Ok enough ranting lol

chick de la lynch

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Aug 24, 2012, 11:36 AM
^ Femminist

And fucking proud of it!  8)

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Aug 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 24, 2012, 10:04 AM

You are basically right. I still don't have any sympathy for her though. I did at a point, but not after some of the things she has said. Yes, Walt is the one who started everything without her knowledge. But what she has no ability to understand is that he did it all for her. And the reason he got back in was because he had to save her ass after she STOLE HIS MONEY and gave it to some guy that she used to fuck. The money is, or was initially, for her and the children but she doesn't give a shit. I don't believe she even really gives a shit about the kids. Everything is about her. Oh Walt I'm your prisoner wah wah wah. She had ample opportunity to act like a woman who gave a shit and leave when she first learned what was happening. She made her choice. Not only did she choose to stay, she chose to get INTO the business. Almost happily at first. Because all she cared about was the money. Not once did she ever think REALLY think about what Walt was going through to get it. And now she's getting freaked out because bad things are happening. Well no shit bad things will happen. It's the fucking meth business. She should have thought about what she was getting into. She could have given up Walt and left with the kids long ago. But she couldn't resist the money because that's all she cares about. And not for her family. Just what it could do for her. Walt is selfish, but so is she. I just think it's really stupid to knowingly get into that kind of business, and then be surprised when negative things start happening. I understand her being conflicted, but she signed up so she can feel free to get over it. Walt may have made the choice to do it in the first place, but she ultimately chose to make herself a serious part of it. She wants to take no responsibility for anything she has done, or hasn't done, and blame everything on Walt. There is nothing I hate more than people who refuse to examine their own actions. I could go on and on but you get my drift. She's in now, that was her choice, and not only does she now have to live with it. She has to be all in. I don't really give a fuck what's going on. You're husband starts this to take care of you and the kids, you find out and rather than be rational and leave, you go right along with it and make yourself an integral part of it. Then when things stop working completely to YOUR advantage and only then do you start having moral issues. Then you have the balls to tell him you want him to die from the very thing that pushed him into this life in the first place. And he didn't do it for him he did it for you. Give me a break. It's like she wants to live in some fantasy world where Walt just makes shitloads of disposable money that she can give away to old fuck buddies, and he cooks meth, but nothing bad ever comes from it. I will say that it speaks to the writing of this show that they can make a character like her so incredibly unsympathetic. As you stated, it's pretty relevant for her to feel the way she does. At least it WAS in the past, but not anymore. I'm just waiting for her to get bodied. Ok enough ranting lol

I do agree with you that part of the reason she made the decision to stay was out of greed, but that's only part of the reason why she stayed. Skyler cheating on Walt is child's play compared to the people that have died because of Walt. And Skyler giving Benneke money wasn't completely fucked up. She was making use and putting the drug money up for good. That being said, it may have come from a good place but in the end it was obviously a stupid decision since that fucker couldn't even save a penny. My brother put this in perspective for me a few days ago and NOTHING Skyler has done compares to what Walt as done. It made me realize that Skyler had nothing coming to her. I do think she has been an annoying character but looking back, she's been rational and logical up to season 5. At the time when she decided to stay with Walt, there was still a part of her that loved him, thought well of him. Walt originally got into the meth business for the family. Now he's in it to feed his ego.

Skyler was concerned about the image for both her and and the family. She wanted to protect Walt when she first found out about his shenanigans because like I said previously, she still cared for him. It was when she realized how deep in the business he got when she started getting frightened. She realized she could easily be snuffed out if she ever got in Walt's way. I don't know about you, but the idea of my spouse having the means and opportunity to kill me whenever they wanted is a frightening prospect. At this point, she's deep into the business, too. She has no other option. Should she have left Walt the minute she found out about his business? Yes, but Walt is the father of her children. That would mean having to open that can of worms to her children, who she has been fighting to protect since she found out. And having said father of her children land himself into jail, and having her brother-in-law arrest him and ultimately splitting up her family and essentially making her life a living hell. Leaving Walt wasn't the best plan in the world. And I'm sure if Skyler left, Walt would have found her and killed her. To say Skyler has any responsibility in this is a stretch. Walt chose to go down this path and put Skyler in this predicament without her consent. Skyler chose a route that would keep everyone safe. She made a decision based on the fact that there was a gun to her head. She made this decision based on the fact that Walt was just a cook, not a drug lord. Skyler thought she was making a good decision in a sea of bad decisions. At this point, she didn't realize what Walt had turned in to.

Walt is a monster now. A very unlikable character. A man who obviously has problems with his own masculinity. A man who is just pure evil now. I don't blame Skyler for acting the way she is. I commend her for attempting to keep it together and Walt is still dragging her into shit she doesn't want to be apart of. At least I can say Skyler is a human being who cares about the people who get hurt or die around her. Walt is a fucking lost cause.

jbmp1390

I ultimately agree with your points. She has always been a bit annoying, but it's not until pretty recently that she's become a bitch. And fairly rightfully so. The melodramatics are what bothers me. She's had plenty of opportunity to leave, and she still could figure out a way to do so if she REALLY wanted to. Also she's so worried about the kids, which is relevant. I just don't think it's as relevant as she makes it out to be. Nothing she could do about Flynn, but she didn't have to have the baby. Probably would have been a good idea seeing as how they had no idea how to pay for it. I have no respect for people who do things like that. You are right though that nothing she has done compares to Walt's deeds. I still will never think that it is okay to wish cancer on anyone though. I just feel like from the beginning of the show when he was diagnosed, she manages to ultimately make everything about her, sometimes rightfully so, but it's annoying regardless. Walt is a bad guy at this point, no question. But that is kind of the point of the show. I mean, it is called Breaking Bad. My feeling is just that if a character is not moving the show forward, any character, I don't care to see them in the show. I feel like that is what is starting to happen with the character of Skyler. She reminds me of Winona from Justified in the sense that, NOW, anytime she is on screen it pretty much brings the momentum of the episode to a halt.

chick de la lynch

I haven't seen Justified (Hopefully soon!), but my brother and I were talking about it and we both agreed that Betsy Brandt (Marie) would have made a much better Skyler than Anna Gunn. I think part of the fact that people don't like her is because it's a mismatch of character and actress. It's not that she's bad it's just not a good combo. She's also just a legitimately annoying character. She was reasonable in the first few seasons, she just did it in an annoying way. It's probably why it feels like everything comes to a screeching halt when she comes on to screen, but I'm waiting to see if she really does kick the bucket before season's end. I heard there was a "I hate Skyler White" Facebook page.

I definitely agree with you that she was really awful when she wished the cancer would come back to Walt. ESPECIALLY on his birthday. Yeah, he's horrible but I don't think anyone deserves that comment.

lithium

💩

bright lights, big city

Quote from: lithium on Aug 27, 2012, 06:03 AM
o m g
indeed. loved how they let that final scene sink in with the viewer by seemingly taking forever to show the end credits screen.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 24, 2012, 03:05 AM
I think if it is Mike it'll be a fluke. Walt is smart, but I don't think he's that smart to take on Mike. Mike is a pretty astute, aware and cautious guy. The only way I could see Walt killing Mike is if it is by accident. Either that, or Lydia comes after Mike....again. Mike would definitely be a hard target to kill.

Could you count it as an accident, technically? I don't know. Either way the minute I saw the gun in the bag I knew Walt was going to get Mike. I'm a little sad. Mike was such an awesome character.

"Just shut the fuck up and let me die in peace"

deftones86

what is Jesse going to do now? His fondness of mike was pretty obvious. I think that got to Walt too. Walt's going to kill everyone.  he doesn't mind a body count, hes already going to hell.

chick de la lynch

Did anyone else have Destiny's Child "Say My Name" stuck in their head for the first five minutes of the episode?

lithium

God I hated that line.
💩

theis

Quote from: lithium on Aug 28, 2012, 06:13 AM
God I hated that line.

What?

It was beyond awesome.

One of the best openings in Breaking Bad.

I wish they hadn't shown Mike's gun in the bag before Walt met with him. I saw it coming the instant I saw that gun.

Sad to see such a great character go... :(

rock_n_frost

Someone should die alive in on HCI (acid) for the season finale.

Why Walt act like an asshole?
At least he could say he will take care of grandchild or something..
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

chick de la lynch

Sushi-X

It's all gonna come back to the opening scene this season. Walt and that PKM. Someone close to him is gonna die, either Slyker or Jesse, and he's either gonna have to take down Declan and his crew. OR he's on the run from the DEA, and he's gonna go down all Tony Montana.

Which also ties into the Jesse James references this season. Jesse James and Tony Montana were both shot and killed from behind.........

Rocket Skates '94

lithium

Quote from: theis on Aug 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Quote from: lithium on Aug 28, 2012, 06:13 AM
God I hated that line.

What?

It was beyond awesome.

One of the best openings in Breaking Bad.

I wish they hadn't shown Mike's gun in the bag before Walt met with him. I saw it coming the instant I saw that gun.

Sad to see such a great character go... :(
The scene was badass, just that particular line "say my name" was, IMO, silly.
💩

bright lights, big city

Such a great episode, and great finale. There wasn't a weak scene at all. And that montage set to "Crystal Blue Persuasion"... just beautiful.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Sushi-X

"You got me"

My jaw dropped.

Rocket Skates '94