Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Breaking Bad

Started by lithium, Apr 12, 2010, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbmp1390

I don't like Skyler but unfortunately you are exactly right

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

jbmp1390

Quote from: chick de la lynch on May 14, 2013, 07:41 PM
This thread is filled with discussion on Skyler White's character, so I found this article a very interesting read:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/vince-gilligan-skyler-white/#more-252230

While I do sense misogyny when people say "Skyler White is a bitch", I think there reporter of this article makes another great point: Up to season five, we were all rooting for Walter. Up until that point, Walter's intentions for making meth was for the good of the family. He was our favorite anti-hero. I also think up until season five, Skyler's character was kind of flat and one dimensional. It wasn't until further in the series when I started understanding Skyler as a character and she finally started to take shape after she got involved with Walter's business.

Either way, both sides make good, valid points.

Man that really makes gilligan come off like kind of a dick about a lot of his fans. Thanks for posting this chick. Very interesting article and there was a lot of good discussion and points made in the comments. I feel like these two comments really hit the nail on the head about why people have legitimate reasons for disliking Skyler, at least in earlier seasons, and why people are not misogynists for feeling that way.

1. ''I think the writers of Breaking Bad have themselves to blame for the hate on Skylar. The problem is she was a broken record, and any time a character in the show becomes a broken record, people just want them to shut the hell up already. Now that she is more active, she is a more compelling character and I certainly am not as annoyed with her anymore.''

2. ''Actually I think it is more than that. She is an obstacle true. However, Gilligan's attempt to make her the "morality" of the show fail and results in me hating the character.

Why? Because her morality is shi+. She is full of pathetic moral compromises. She knowingly accepts the fruits of criminal enterprises while campaigning passive aggressively against Walter.

And given her knowledge of Walter's income and acceptance of it, her continuous stupid questions and "horror" are a slap in the face to most people. (Ex. Gus getting blown up and her asking Walter if it was him... Dammit Skylar!!! Of course don't ask me about my business. Walter really needs to learn to quit trying to convince his wife he is Billy bad ass too.)

In short, if Skylar is supposed to be the voice of morality, then she should have tried to expose or stop Walter instead of becoming his passive aggressive co-conspirator. Who isn't going to get sick of that. She is like Fredo, but with hotter tits.

And yeah, also because she fu*ked that douche-canoe Ted.''

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

chick de la lynch

Yeah, Skyler being seen as a moral compass really got lost on me. You could say that in the first two seasons because she was oblivious to Walter's secret life. Yeah, she confronted Walter on how dangerous and horrible the drug business was but she never went out of her way to stop it. She threatened to leave and take the children, but never acted on it. If she were the moral compass then she would have called the cops and left with the children in order to protect them. Instead, she is staying and laundering Walt's money.

She isn't a great character on a moral scale, but her characterization has gotten a lot better as the series progressed which makes for interesting television. I still think Betsy Brandt and Anna Gunn should have switched roles. Brandt would have made a much more compelling Skyler.

schlueter

Walt will not die, nor get caught. Just end up alone with his cancer, secluded.

theis

bright lights, big city

Hello Carol.

What a great ending to that episode. Also enjoyed Badger's Star Trek script.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

I'm really glad they didn't drag out Walt/Hank's confrontation. They just got right down to business and I appreciate the writers a little more for that. Dexter could really take a lesson from this.

theis

It caught me pretty off guard that the confrontation came so soon. Another reason why this show is amazing. They pull no punches.

chick de la lynch

The last five minutes of the episode terrified me, but in a good way. I can't wait to see what's in store for the last seven episodes!

theis

It's gonna get ugly...that's for sure.

Jacob

Great episode, as usual. Not sure I liked Walt's reaction in the last scene though. It'd be more convincing if he just tried laughing it off, and try to explain what a ridiculous idea it was. I dunno, it felt like he gave himself away quite easily.

So why the hell did we have to wait this long for new episodes anyway?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

schlueter

There's a little less than 6hrs left with these final 8. Just one big movie to go out on. Im glad they split it. Had walts rise and take over last 8. Now for the slope.

And season 1 only had 8 eps. Seems they're trying to complete the full 5 seasons with 16 eps for the last part . And works great this way.

theis

This show is not good for my health...jesus fuckin' christ!

luisch

Motherfuckr, Jesse, what are you doing? ajsvdiasudhiaoiso
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

chick de la lynch

SHIT IS GOING DOWN!

This episode is a reminder that Walter still has his Heisenberg mentality even though he is out of the business. The manipulation of Walt Jr. was cold.

bright lights, big city

Maybe he's not out of the bizness. What with Todd leaving him a nice and polite voicemail and all.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

only pieces remain

I love this show so much. These 3 episodes have been fucking outstanding. The last 5, the emotions will be so intense I can only imagine.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 27, 2013, 03:08 AM
Maybe he's not out of the bizness. What with Todd leaving him a nice and polite voicemail and all.

Yeah, I'm very curious about that. At least the writers on this show are nothing like the writers on Dexter. We should know more about Todd and Walter fairly soon.

theis

I have a feeling that Walt's big ass fully automatic is gonna be used against Todd and his uncle. They're gonna fuck shit up.