Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Breaking Bad

Started by lithium, Apr 12, 2010, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Quote from: tarkil on Sep 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
This may take my #1 spot from The Wire !

EDIT :
Just rewatched the intro of 1st episode of this season (the flash forward).
It's called "Live free or die", and the waitress is explaining that Walt should have a free meal, that free is very important, and that even a rich man should not refuse a free meal. But he still pays for it at the end.
Live Free or Die is also New Hampshire's state motto, I think that was where the title came from. Just like episode 15 was titled Granite State which is the state nickname.

And on the subject of The Wire. That's been my #1 all time, but I think I'm ready to say Breaking Bad has taken over. This whole final season has just been incredible.

With tonight's finale, I guess the meth was Walt's Felina from the El Paso song. So glad they actually played it in the beginning.

Definitely satisfied with that ending though. Especially since there was left no stone unturned, and gave everyone an ending to their story. Refreshing to not have any lingering questions, haha.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

It was goddamn perfect.

Man, I feel all empty inside. Will miss this show so much.

Greatest show ever.

Jacob

In whole, a decent finale. Pretty much everything was tied up and no loose ends. However, there were some pretty glaring plot holes and some sloppy writing in my opinion

SPOILERS BELOW!

[spoiler]First and foremost, Walt is a pretty wanted man. With no sort of disguise, he managed to move around pretty freely, even visiting his wife who should logically be under surveillance 24/7. Secondly, how did he manage to get all those parts for his little machine gun contraption, not to mention the machine gun itself? Which leads to my next point; how did he know the layout of Todd's uncle's hideout, and how did he know they would all be gathered in that exact room? What was his plan had he not been able to park his car that perfectly? What if they had been smart and searched the trunk of the car? Things just fell into place a little too conveniently, which is something I kinda hate.

There's more, but it's mostly minor stuff I can suspend my disbelief enough to handle. I guess I could do the same with the things I mentioned above, but to be honest that's mainly because I've loved this show so much and it's had so much good writing that I just don't want to ruin it by making a big deal about these things and overanalyzing them. But I will say that it was pretty sloppy, and not the epic finale I was hoping for.[/spoiler]
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Gaseus Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on Oct 01, 2013, 12:51 AM
In whole, a decent finale. Pretty much everything was tied up and no loose ends. However, there were some pretty glaring plot holes and some sloppy writing in my opinion

SPOILERS BELOW!

[spoiler]First and foremost, Walt is a pretty wanted man. With no sort of disguise, he managed to move around pretty freely, even visiting his wife who should logically be under surveillance 24/7. Secondly, how did he manage to get all those parts for his little machine gun contraption, not to mention the machine gun itself? Which leads to my next point; how did he know the layout of Todd's uncle's hideout, and how did he know they would all be gathered in that exact room? What was his plan had he not been able to park his car that perfectly? What if they had been smart and searched the trunk of the car? Things just fell into place a little too conveniently, which is something I kinda hate.

There's more, but it's mostly minor stuff I can suspend my disbelief enough to handle. I guess I could do the same with the things I mentioned above, but to be honest that's mainly because I've loved this show so much and it's had so much good writing that I just don't want to ruin it by making a big deal about these things and overanalyzing them. But I will say that it was pretty sloppy, and not the epic finale I was hoping for.[/spoiler]

Did you also notice Walt's left shoe was double knotted but a split second later it was tied regularly?

chick de la lynch

I think if we're going to get on the writers of Dexter for not having Hannah disguise herself in public, we can't be hypocritical and ignore Walt's lack of disguise either just because one show is obviously better than the other so thank you Jacob for mentioning that.

That said, this was a perfect finish to an amazing show. It was short, sweet and to the point yet managed to be incredibly cinematic. Vince Gilligan did a great job directing. Everything was paced beautifully, not to mention beautifully shot. It was haunting, poignant, dramatic and completely bonkers. I loved it.

Is Breaking Bad better than The Wire? Once again, I'm splitting hairs because at this point you have to. I still consider The Wire the better show by a hair for two reasons which have not changed: Bigger cast and better editing. There were a few issues with audio and editing that I noticed throughout the season that kind of irked me (Sorry, I studied production in TV/Film in college so I'm unfortunately more aware of this shit). One moment of this that stands out is when Hank tells Skyler about Walt's business in the diner. That scene had horrible sound editing. You could barely hear what they were saying and I'm not the only one who took notice of this.

Also, Breaking Bad is dealing with a smaller cast than The Wire. While everything was answered with Breaking Bad, they were dealing with a smaller cast of characters and only had to tie a few loose ends. The Wire finale, they were dealing with a million different story lines and a very limited time to answer everything.

Having said that, the finale was everything I wanted and more. I couldn't be more satisfied but now I'm sad that it's over. :( Easily one of the greatest shows of all time and definitely in the league of The Wire.

[spoiler]P.S. Really glad Walt/Todd/Lydia/Jack and his gang got their comeuppance. Also, lots of tears on my end. [/spoiler]

bright lights, big city

We're really talking about plausibilty now? It's not like the guy's walking down the middle of the street waving the agents in the car in front of the house. He's looking through windows next door. It's not like the coffee shop is a known Heisenberg location, so no one's really looking at a guy with a full head of hair and beard. Plus we hear from Marie that there have been multiple bomb threats or something so the agents/police are stretched thin.

Also it's Breaking Bad. I always thought a lot of the show was unbelievable at times. They show a little science or a little set up (like him building the gun contraption) and then Walt will make quick decisions or improvise (and be super lucky) and things work out for him.

And wasn't the gun from the flash forward last year? Ellsworth from Deadwood is his gun guy and Walt meets him in the Denny's bathroom. Then I think it cuts to him in the parking lot looking in the trunk.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

only pieces remain

a full head of hair, full beard with dark framed glasses, dirty dingy green jacket, not to mention being pale, skinny and sickly looking isn't enough of a disguise? ::)

theis

Holy shit!

Latest episode was fucking awe... oh wait. It's over.

:(

theis

bright lights, big city

Lol, that was great
DERP

defTHE1s

Quote from: Martin on Oct 29, 2015, 11:27 AM
Season 6.
http://nbc.com.co/vince-gilligan-announces-breaking-bad-season-6-begins-shooting-december-2015-walt-did-not-die/
I started watching this show a few months ago and finally yesterday watched the ending in a 5 episodes marathon and at the end my head was blown. What an amazing show from start to finish. It indeed had some slow things going on but I loved the way there were some flash backs and flash forwards that kept us intrigued despite if an episode was loose.
I loved how, finally, all the loose stories were tied up at the end but even with this, I felt that there were still some stories that could be good to be told, like, what happened with [spoiler]Jesse and with Brock[/spoiler] to name a few.
Excellent show, again, I feel as someone said, empty and was nearly crying but at the same time, excited to see how things evolved (that's why I started to watch Better Call Saul to at least feel the vibe of the show haha) and since I watched the last 5 episodes all toguether, at the end I was still tying and digesting things. Like if all of it happened suddenly. I think I'll rewatch the entire show or at least those last episodes to enjoy more the details.
And to summarize, when I went to bed last night, my head was all around the show and I somehow came with the possibility that Walt was not dead yet [spoiler]At least not by the bullet wound. The cops passed along to him and no one checked if he was dead or not! Also was with the question.. who exactly called the cops to go to the Jack's gang HQ's?[/spoiler] and that, it was as well the end of the season, there were some characters that would need to develop and finish their stories.
So, yeah, that article saying Season 6 is being shot next December totally makes sense to what I thought and I dreamed last night.

Btw, the same article was published again a few weeks ago:
http://nbc.com.co/vince-gilligan-announces-breaking-bad-season-6/

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

bright lights, big city

I really need to rewatch this. I still think about it, or it comes up in conversation every month or so. As I was reading your post, I was gonna say you should watch Better Call Saul, but you're already on it, haha.

As far as season 6 goes, I'm assuming any news right now is a hoax. I think Gilligan's got so many other projects happening in addition to Saul. Also, I thought around the time of the finale, Gilligan stated that we should interpret that last scene as Walt dying. Even the lyrics to Baby Blue go with him dying (what a perfect song for the whole series actually)
DERP

defTHE1s

Yes, now that my mind has assimilated this, the season 6 thing seems to be like it should have happened before, and this really seems to be a hoax, that apparently surfaced last year and then again this year, so who knows, for sure, Gilligan but maybe it's not on his short term plans. Because, I think, according to what the "fake new" says, that there's still story to tell.

I'm hoping to see if there will be in the next seasons of BCS a connection to the story, like, what did Saul do to know "the friend who knows a friend" and what happened with his name change (since it didn't use the identity change with the guy) he's still a lawyer and it seems it is a thing that as much, is doable once in a lifetime, hence the chance Jesse missed, he won't be able to do it again. At least with that guy.

So, let's see if there are glimpses in the meanwhile and watch how the show with Saul evolves.

And again, what an amazing show.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

BewareTheWater

A tribute to this show I made a while back to Change (In The House Of Flies ) . Check it out if y'all are interested.

! No longer available

theis

Just remove the "s" in https

BewareTheWater

Holy shit it worked, I was half expecting you to be trolling .