Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Question about Deftones releases

Started by BBfan, Apr 15, 2010, 06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBfan

Okay, so unlike 99.9% of you, I'm not really a Deftones fan (BUT HEAR ME OUT!) but I've listened to "Diamond Eyes" and "Rocket Skates" and really dug the songs - so much that I think I would like to purchase the album when it comes out. So after listening to a few of their older tunes on youtube and enjoying them, I'd like to become a full-fledged fan.

So here's my question, as a noob to the Deftones sound (minus "Mein") which is the best album to start out with? I've heard a lot of people say White Pony is really good, should I start there? Or just go from the beginning and work my way up?

Sorry for the lame thread - I hate when people ask these kinds of questions haha.

tarkil

Quote from: BBfan on Apr 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
I hate when people ask these kinds of questions haha.

Me too...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Sushi-X

First welcome to sharinglungs it's full of assholes and sarcasm. I say start from adrenaline and listen to them in release order all the way up to diamond eyes. 

Rocket Skates '94

siL.

I second that suggestion. Starting from the beginning let's you experience the exponential growth that occurs from album to album. That being said, Adrenaline is far an away their rawest and greatest work in my mind. So start there and experience everything in order. I can't imagine only now hearing about Deftones....in a way, I envy what you're about to experience!

Jacob

so you've been hanging around here for 2 years and you're not even a fan of the band?

I guess you're here for the leaks/download threads then?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Penicks

The first Deftones album I listened to was SNW. I knew and loved Change for many years but I never really bothered to check the band out. Until I read a review somewhere that said SNW was their best album and way better than their previous, ST record. I was like "well suck my ass, a better album than the album Change is on? Gotta check it out."

And I really dug it. Next I listened to WP. I liked it even more. Then ATF. Which I didn't like that much but after a while I did. Then ST which blew me off my feet and still does. And lastly Adrenaline, which I liked but it was definitely a harder to get into.

anguria

Quote from: Jacob on Apr 15, 2010, 09:09 AM
so you've been hanging around here for 2 years and you're not even a fan of the band?

I guess you're here for the leaks/download threads then?
88 posts! How come he's a n00b???
I started with White Pony but managed to "understand" Adrenaline only after seeing them live - it depends on your tastes.

Hidalgo

if you wanna buy an album i'd say ATF, cause it's on the verge of going platinum and it needs all the sales it can get, and it's arguably their best album

Wax And Wane

In order would be best. Try not to spread it out over a few days but like for real just sit down and listen listen listen. I've been a fan since "around the fur" and it's been awesome to grow with the band. You sir are in for a treat.  :)
I will save your life..

Jacob

Quote from: anguria on Apr 15, 2010, 01:43 PM

what the hell are you talking about? I just pointed out that he's been here since 2008 and he's not even a fan of Deftones.

anyways, start wherever you like. if you've listened to some of their older songs already you kinda know what sound to expect from each album. so just begin where you feel most comfortable.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

anguria

Quote from: Jacob on Apr 15, 2010, 02:47 PM
Quote from: anguria on Apr 15, 2010, 01:43 PM

what the hell are you talking about? I just pointed out that he's been here since 2008 and he's not even a fan of Deftones.

He wrote "So here's my question, as a noob to the Deftones sound ". I was pointing out that he he had too many posts to be a "n00b", which is weird since he's posting on their board. Basically I was saying the same thing as you. Sorry, it must be my poor English!  :-[

ToneDef

Start from Adrenaline and work your way up. That's pretty much how we've had it, album after album, so it's better to do it like that. Each one is an evolution (not necessarily in quality).

E-Money

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
The first Deftones album I listened to was SNW. I knew and loved Change for many years but I never really bothered to check the band out. Until I read a review somewhere that said SNW was their best album and way better than their previous, ST record. I was like "well suck my ass, a better album than the album Change is on? Gotta check it out."

And I really dug it. Next I listened to WP. I liked it even more. Then ATF. Which I didn't like that much but after a while I did. Then ST which blew me off my feet and still does. And lastly Adrenaline, which I liked but it was definitely a harder to get into.

Penicks the first album u listened to was SNW??  WHAT A NOOOOOB!!  hahah JKJK

I just thought u had been a fan for a long time....

Sushi-X

Man I still remember how challenging it was getting into adrenaline and ATF after hearin pony and s/t. But those two albums fucking grew on me. 

Rocket Skates '94

nineteenpeoplesnames

Quote from: ToneDef on Apr 15, 2010, 06:09 PM
Start from Adrenaline and work your way up. That's pretty much how we've had it, album after album, so it's better to do it like that. Each one is an evolution (not necessarily in quality).

Aye, I agree. It started with Adrenaline for me back in 96 so I only ever knew from one album to the next.

Only recommendation I can give really as it's a natural progression I guess.

fetisher

So, whats the BB stand for?  Backstreet Boys? Brian Boitano?

Moz

Started with WP, then ATF, then Adrenaline. Then after a few years ST came out. To this day I have never really gotten into Adrenaline as much as the other records.

janie13

Quote from: fetisher on Apr 15, 2010, 07:16 PM
So, whats the BB stand for?  Backstreet Boys? Brian Boitano?

beastie boys?

anyway, i gotta be honest, i had WP and then S/T, and they got lost or stolen, i'm not sure which, and then when SNW came out, i repurchased those two then the rest, including b-sides.  start where ever you want but if you want to listen to the progression and regression and then progression again, i would listen from the first (adrenaline) to the latest release, diamond eyes, when it comes out of course.  ;)

Sushi-X

I just remembered that Scott Weiland sang back up vocals on Rx Queen. How in the world did he up collaborating with the band?

Rocket Skates '94

Wax And Wane

Quote from: MxKnife on Apr 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
I just remembered that Scott Weiland sang back up vocals on Rx Queen. How in the world did he up collaborating with the band?
Did they even end up using anything he did on that song? I don't even remember seeing his name in the album credits. I mean i remember hearing something about it but i don't think i even hear him on that song. 
I will save your life..