Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Need advice on moving to another city alone.

Started by Sushi-X, Apr 20, 2010, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sushi-X

It's been on my mind for a long time. These is some of the cities i was thinkin of moving to

New York City
Las Vegas
Seattle
or somewhere decent in Cali

anyone who's ever moved out to a totally new and unfamiliar place have any tips to survive???

Rocket Skates '94

samson simpson

bebo

Get a room mate else youll be paying out the ass for even a one room apartment

ToneDef

Yeah. When I moved from home it was in with friends. I can just about afford that shit. I'd love to be out on my own but it's just too much money and I enjoy living somewhere respectable rather than having to sleep, cook and take a shit all in the same room.

I guess though if you can only afford some shithole it won't matter too much if you're out on your own, doing your own thing, having adventures and shit.

Good luck man.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Move to Seattle. You can get a studio apartment here for around 500 a month and finding a job really isn't difficult. We also have an amazing bus system. And the best food on the planet. If you're a smoker, I suggest you quit though. $7.05 for a pack of Camels. Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

chick de la lynch

I wouldn't suggest moving to California just because the cost of living is so high (The decent parts are even more expensive). If you have a lot of money in the bank, then go ahead and do it. Otherwise, I would strongly discourage it. Plus finding a job out here is a nightmare right now.

defskull

ToneDef

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Apr 20, 2010, 03:46 AM
Move to Seattle. You can get a studio apartment here for around 500 a month and finding a job really isn't difficult. We also have an amazing bus system. And the best food on the planet. If you're a smoker, I suggest you quit though. $7.05 for a pack of Camels. Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Haha, in the UK, a pack of 20 Bensons costs about the equivalent of around $9-9.50 or some shit.

And I'd say it's like what, 2 dollars for a gallon of gas right now in the US? In the UK it's about the same as 2 dollars per fucking litre!! There's roughly about 3 and a half litres per gallon.

We get fucking raped on tax over here.

Sushi-X

Haha thanks for tip on the gun! Will do.

Seattle sounds awesome now that you mentioned $500  studio apartments. Shit 7 bucks isn't as bad as here in Chicago. Its like almost near ten bucks for a pack. What's the music scene like out there?

Rocket Skates '94

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Depends on what you like, man. Good noise scene, pretty decent hardcore scene (I mean, Iron Lung is from here...), bands never miss Seattle on a tour but they probably don't miss Chicago either, and we've got some decent pop bands as well. This is only the shit I pay attention to though. Whatever we don't have though, Portland definitely has. Portland has a kickass music scene right now.

Jacob

Seattle seems like an awesome city, but isn't the weather pretty horrible most of the time?
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

wheresmysnare

i've moved to a couple of cities in the UK completey on my own due to work. What i did was to use gumtree.com not sure if the US has a similar version. But basically made an ad saying my age and stuff and that i was looking for a house share, i had an offer from a 24 yr old girl and a 27 yr old guy who were looking for a third housemate. It all worked out great, they had network of friends and cuz i was the new guy i could fit right in.

I would say this is the best way of doing it, i appreciate america is huge and where as I could jump in the car and drive 3 hrs to meet these people beforehand and see the house, it really is the best way.

The first times i changed city on my own (again due to work) i knew no one and it sucked, so finding a houseshare with similar aged people is a must. I mean i earn enough to be able to rent a flat all to myself, but you can become so isolated doing this, sharing is so much more fun and you can have a social scene handed to you on a plate.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: Jacob on Apr 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
Seattle seems like an awesome city, but isn't the weather pretty horrible most of the time?

That's a bit of a misconception. For example, Portland gets far more rain than we do. And it's colder. They get snow too. Here, it's usually overcast. If it rains, it's pretty light rain. We hardly ever get any snow. Just lots and lots of clouds.

It just depends on what you define as horrible weather. Clouds that just hang there aren't horrible imo. Partially because in the colder time of year, they actually help trap heat and keep the temperature from dropping much.

Sushi-X

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Apr 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
Depends on what you like, man. Good noise scene, pretty decent hardcore scene (I mean, Iron Lung is from here...), bands never miss Seattle on a tour but they probably don't miss Chicago either, and we've got some decent pop bands as well. This is only the shit I pay attention to though. Whatever we don't have though, Portland definitely has. Portland has a kickass music scene right now.

How far is Portland?

Rocket Skates '94

bright lights, big city

yo MxKnife, where in Chi-town are you located currently?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: MxKnife on Apr 20, 2010, 06:36 PM

How far is Portland?

3-4 hours. A nice, relaxing, 30 dollar train ride away. I'm planning on moving there relatively soon. It's hipster-central. I'll fit right in.

Sushi-X

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
yo MxKnife, where in Chi-town are you located currently?

southside, back of the yards neighborhood

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on Apr 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
Quote from: MxKnife on Apr 20, 2010, 06:36 PM

How far is Portland?

3-4 hours. A nice, relaxing, 30 dollar train ride away. I'm planning on moving there relatively soon. It's hipster-central. I'll fit right in.

Your making Seattle sound like my kind of place to go live in. thirty dollars to go to visit Portland isn't a bad deal. Whats the minimum  wage out in Seattle?

Rocket Skates '94

Law

Leeds in the UK is awesome, that always has my vote... saw Eyehategod there a couple of weeks back man it was mental!

Anyway if I could move somewhere temporary in US it would be NYC, amazing place but I can imagine its hella expensive. But TD is right, our taxes here... daylight bloody robbery!

your sister gets me hard

Don't move to nj, you aren't cool enough.

Sushi-X

Rocket Skates '94