Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Anyone with knowledge on bicycles?

Started by your sister gets me hard, Apr 21, 2010, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

your sister gets me hard

I am buying a bike soon.  It's for local travel.  No off roading.  Was looking at the Marin Kentfield FS.  Any recommendations?

RoyalDeftonicBoy

devilinside

I used to have a Gary Fisher...till some motherfucker stole it. :(

derekautomatica

one weak

yeah, lose the gears and the brakes and you´ll rule.

blixa

anything with a basket is good hahaha

Mascara Snake

Quote from: blixa on Apr 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
anything with a basket is good hahaha

Dont forget a bell and some kick ass tassels for your handle bars! Pimpin

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

your sister gets me hard

Funny you should say that Mr Irishman.  My current bike is an old ass schwin that my neighbor was throwing away.  It works fine.  I added an awesome bell to it haha.  Also front and rear lights and a comfy seat.  It's just annoying to ride now.  I'm almost positive I'm getting that Marin Kentfield FS.  I gotta go pick up some suits I bought and if the place is still open, I'm getting it.

endoeleven

I ride a bmx, i have a volume 'mexican' with dif. parts.

derekautomatica

Quote from: endoeleven on Apr 22, 2010, 09:58 PM
I ride a bmx, i have a volume 'mexican' with dif. parts.

i have a fit park one...that bike is so fucking light. but when i feel like being a little hipster i'll take the fixie out for a Sunday spin.

Mascara Snake

Quote from: your sister gets me hard on Apr 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Funny you should say that Mr Irishman.  My current bike is an old ass schwin that my neighbor was throwing away.  It works fine.  I added an awesome bell to it haha.  Also front and rear lights and a comfy seat.  It's just annoying to ride now.  I'm almost positive I'm getting that Marin Kentfield FS.  I gotta go pick up some suits I bought and if the place is still open, I'm getting it.

Treat yourself dude but make sure an get them to throw in a hi-vis jacket and helmet. Sorted

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

derekautomatica

Quote from: Mascara Snake on Apr 23, 2010, 08:33 PM

Treat yourself dude but make sure an get them to throw in a hi-vis jacket and helmet. Sorted

dont forget the flashing light on the back so the cars can see you and the little mirror on your helmet so you can see behind you.

your sister gets me hard

Quote from: derekautomatica on Apr 24, 2010, 12:16 AM

dont forget the flashing light on the back so the cars can see you and the little mirror on your helmet so you can see behind you.

I have the flashing light already, as stated above.  It has a bunch of different sequences.  I'm so cool.

Freezepoop

I don't like aluminum.
I've gotten most bikes at second hand used bike shops. So long as the frame isn't dinged up, you can change anything on it and it'll ride fantastic.

Make sure the frame is sturdy, brakes handle well, headset's on tight, if you have external gears that the derailleur is in tiptop and the chain tensioned well. Check to make sure the wheels are trued and tired whole, and you're set.
You don't need to spend a lot, just know what you're looking for.
I like Nishiki, Raleigh, Bianchi, Bridgestone, and Specialized.

Oh you probably have a bike by now. Hope it's treating you well!

derekautomatica

fixies are the way to go. but they're not your average bike...they're kind of a pain in the ass at first.

Freezepoop

Fixed gears are great, but I have different bikes for different chores. Sometimes a fixie doesn't cut it, especially if it doesn't have the gearing I want.
Also, sometimes coasting is nice.

your sister gets me hard

I was actually about to decide which one I was going to get.  I tried a specialized out, it was good.  They all felt sort of the same to me, which made is really hard to pick.  My uncle is doing a 100 mile bike ride benefit and he bought a Trek, he had to go for a fitting and all that.  He's giving me his old bike.  It's a Giant Cypress DX.  Probably a little over a year old.  I just have to wait for him to come down to NJ from Boston.

derekautomatica

Quote from: Freezepoop on May 18, 2010, 05:47 AM
Fixed gears are great, but I have different bikes for different chores. Sometimes a fixie doesn't cut it, especially if it doesn't have the gearing I want.
Also, sometimes coasting is nice.

there's a company online you can buy fixies for hella cheap. republicbike.com

but they're good on flat surfaces really...there's not too many hills in Portland.

Freezepoop

Quote from: your sister gets me hard on May 18, 2010, 06:32 AM
I was actually about to decide which one I was going to get.  I tried a specialized out, it was good.  They all felt sort of the same to me, which made is really hard to pick.  My uncle is doing a 100 mile bike ride benefit and he bought a Trek, he had to go for a fitting and all that.  He's giving me his old bike.  It's a Giant Cypress DX.  Probably a little over a year old.  I just have to wait for him to come down to NJ from Boston.
If you don't know what you're looking for then it can be tricky. One of the things I look for in the most is a comfortable seating - that you're not hunched forward too far or bent over too forward - I want to ride long distances comfortably and be aware of my surroundings.
Also tires. I like a ride where I can feel the road vibrations and don't have a large sluggo tire. Thin for me.
Quote from: derekautomatica on May 19, 2010, 06:00 PM
there's a company online you can buy fixies for hella cheap. republicbike.com

but they're good on flat surfaces really...there's not too many hills in Portland.
My fixies have been built from frame on up. They're fairly simple. I've used both track frames and your run of the mill road bike frames. I'm not a big fan of the track bike frame. I have back problems, and that geometry isn't very good for it.

wax

Quote from: derekautomatica on Apr 24, 2010, 12:16 AM

lets not forget elbow pads and knew pads 'just in case'   and just to be safe, training wheels   throw on a bell or honking horn for good measure