Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Dec 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
But with previous releases its been done more ambiguously and in a way that still made the songs personable,Tempest was a bit too straight forward for my liking it didn't have the same mystery and multiple meanings that I like,I feel sort of cut off because I can't take the theme from the song and relate to my own life.
So songs like Digital Bath aren't straight forward? Cause I can only see one overlaying theme and its murder sooooo. And tempest for me has multiple meanings, I really dont see this whole "Its about the apocalypse" thing... I dont really see it, its probably just me though

DeftonesNZ

Digital Bath is a lot more abstract if you didn't know what it was about you could get multiple meanings,You could probably say it's about a birth aswell given the whole "new live break away" and "I know you can see ,the cord breakaway"  parts ,It has a real duality to it.Tempest is more literal with the whole "Ancients arrival" and "brace for the glory" when i heard it I immediately knew it was about the whole 2012 thing there was no mystery.

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Dec 21, 2012, 07:40 AM
Digital Bath is a lot more abstract if you didn't know what it was about you could get multiple meanings,You could probably say it's about a birth aswell given the whole "new live break away" and "I know you can see ,the cord breakaway"  parts ,It has a real duality to it.Tempest is more literal with the whole "Ancients arrival" and "brace for the glory" when i heard it I immediately knew it was about the whole 2012 thing there was no mystery.
Never thought of Digital Bath like that, I've always just had Chino's meaning of it in my head the whole time  :P. Thats cool though, I could never think of anything but that until now. But for me Tempest can be about murder, suicide, relationships, and revenge. Those are just off the top of my head I'm sure people could think of more though

Teknoman

As far as i can remember Digital bath is a fantasy about electrocuting a woman in the bathtub by throwing some kind of electronic appliance on the water.... really dark stuff if you ask me.

I make music too

DeftonesNZ

Yeah that's right but if you didn't know it could sound like it's a song about birth with a more positive vibe with the whole "feel like more" parts like being a father has changed him,I just like how when you read the lyrics you could interpret them being about a death or a birth which are compete contrasts.

from_musings

"It was probably 5 in the morning–we were still up partying–and I just pictured this whole scenario of having this girl, bringing her downstairs and taking a bath and like, out of nowhere, just reaching back and electrocuting–basically throwing some kind of electrical device in the bathtub and then taking her out of the bath and drying her off and putting her clothes back on." – Chino

yup, definately chino singing about being a father

DeftonesNZ

Did you read the earlier posts at all before trying to be a smart-ass,I was talking with the other guy about lyrical styles,I said they used to be more abstract than they are now ,He then said Digital Bath was straightforward with one meaning,I then said ,pay attention this is the part you missed, If you didn't know what Chino wrote it about you could obtain other themes such as a birth,I never said it was about a birth.

dictatesofreason

they are still abstract its just we've slowly over the years have come to understand exactly whats going on ..the music is learning us just as much as we are learing it-IS A CONSPIRACY!

Vesanic

Deftones were on MTV Rocks (UK) today, in some "playlist choice" kind of show, if I'm correct. Rerun next Friday at 9am.

iceache

They've fallen off the radar since KNY came out... They aren't pushing this record... Well I guess you can't please everyone

slyartwork

Seems that physical magazines are dead. I will post these. Hope someone else didn't post these already.

METAL HAMMER dec 2012

DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

DeftonesNZ

Thanks man some interesting stuff ,It sounds like Chino sort of resents SNW and S/T it sounds like it bugs him knowing they could have done better if it weren't for the record company and other pressures rushing them ,might be why they don't play much of that stuff live.

Sunbath

Loving the shit out of that little "fact" -box on that metal hammer scan.. when in fact nothing about what that box says is a fact  :D

Inkblades

nicklav

Quote from: Inkblades on Jan 18, 2013, 07:50 PM
Fuck that shit. S/T is great.

Seriously. They must have listened to it one time and that's it.

Gee

Quote from: nicklav on Jan 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Jan 18, 2013, 07:50 PM
Fuck that shit. S/T is great.

Seriously. They must have listened to it one time and that's it.

Chino was getting divorced, was under a lot of label pressure and was trying hard not to piss off the big ol' Steffy when writing songs -immediate thought : all the frustration he must have felt from that time must have led him to some extent to leave the band in 04, right ? nevermind; so I guess the guy mustn't be completely objective about it.

His favorite album is still Around The Fur partly because he had so much fun making it, not because he thinks that's the best music they have ever written to date.

"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

rainnyx4

The band has said a million times that they were lazy when they wrote s/t.  Sure it's heavy and has a sexy dark vibe to it, but many of the songs sound unfinished like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day (due to all of the strife and ill feelings in the group at the time affecting motivation).  There's some awesome ideas on there, I just wish the songs were more fleshed out and I think the band agrees.

rufas

Inkblades

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 AM
Sure it's heavy and has a sexy dark vibe to it, but many of the songs sound unfinished like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day...There's some awesome ideas on there, I just wish the songs were more fleshed out.

You could make the same exact argument about KNY.