Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bifrost

Quote from: Inkblades on Jan 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jan 21, 2013, 12:47 AM
Sure it's heavy and has a sexy dark vibe to it, but many of the songs sound unfinished like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day...There's some awesome ideas on there, I just wish the songs were more fleshed out.

You could make the same exact argument about KNY.

you could but you'd be wrong lol

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Bifrost on Jan 21, 2013, 11:44 PM
Sure it's heavy and has a sexy dark vibe to it, but many of the songs sound unfinished like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day...There's some awesome ideas on there, I just wish the songs were more fleshed out.

Have to agree hear KNY is a very cohesive and complete sounding record, saying that I still love the brokenness of S/T

rainnyx4

Yeah there's really no argument.  The songwriting on KNY is their most progressive yet.  They had hints of this kind of writing on their past albums but nothing this grand.  The solos, layering, structures, intros/outros, time changes/signatures, etc.  KNY is all over the place.  You can make the argument that it's their least heavy or dark and I'd agree with you.  But to say that the songwriting on S/T is stronger is verifiably false.

Visitant

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 AM

Yeah there's really no argument.  The songwriting on KNY is their most progressive yet.  They had hints of this kind of writing on their past albums but nothing this grand.  The solos, layering, structures, intros/outros, time changes/signatures, etc.  KNY is all over the place.  You can make the argument that it's their least heavy or dark and I'd agree with you.  But to say that the songwriting on S/T is stronger is verifiably false.

WORD.
"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

Inkblades

Ha. There absolutely is an argument. I think KNY is a good album, but it lacks the multi-layered depth of S/T. S/T is more of an album to get lost in and explore. KNY is all surfaces. Also, KNY is not that progressive. Sure, they are trying out some new sounds, but they have been trying out new sounds on every single album since Adrenaline. In that regard, I would say WP and even SNW are more progressive than KNY. If anything, KNY has extremely repetitive song structures, even by Deftones' already repetitive standards. Also, it's "verifiably false" that S/T doesn't have stronger songwriting? Really? Sorry, I didn't know that. How did you verify it? Through a statistics report?

Personally, I'd take Hexagram, WGTB, Needles & Pins, Minerva, Deathblow, Battle-Axe and Bloody Cape over almost everything on KNY. I think one of KNY's biggest problems, and it kills me to say this, is Stephen. Extremely lazy riffs from him this time around (something that from_musings noted). Just take that hard riff near the end of Rosemary. It's damn near identical to the one at the end of Diamond Eyes. His riffs on S/T blow his work on KNY out of the water.

DeftonesNZ

S/T is my preferred album but songs are alot simpler than KNY I notice it especially when playing the guitar parts KNY has lots more layered riffs where Chino and Steph playing different things plus with S/T the songs don't really have twists to them that KNY has with songs like Rosemary. S/T definitely has magic that draws you in but when you're talking about the more complete and fleshed out album it has to be KNY there's so much going on in these songs compared to S/T especially with all the intros and outros

nicklav

Chino's voice is a big part of what puts S/T above KNY for me. There is hardly anything on KNY that matches Hexagram, WGTB, Moana, etc. in terms of vocal delivery.

RoyBiggins

Roy Biggins a.k.a Lord of the Roys a.k.a Deep Pockets Roy really enjoys KNY , but not in the same way as S/T. S/T has those classic Deftones songs that get Roy fired up and make him want to get work done and straighten shit out. The Main Roy loves when Chino ends tracks with rapid brutal screams and that technique is prevelant on almost all their albums at least a couple times. Dai the Flu, Bored, and Needles and Pins being some of Big Roy's favorites. A track like that doesn't exist on KNY and Roy thinks Graphic Nature would of been a good one to add to. Chino screaming never gets old to me, but on the other hand Chef Royardee knows he's older and the screams are tough to pull off live. Overall Roy likes what they did on KNY, it's a great addition to their discography. WBW  Word Be Word. 4 T's and a B. Take That To The Bank. Roy Biggins a.k.a The Deer (bc Roy runs as fast as one) is out!

sing blue silver

Well said Roy. As always. Seriously, this guys posts are a treat to read.

only pieces remain

Whether Roy is a band member (I highly doubt it) or just some dude (probably) he is making me constantly lol and appreciate his posts at the same time. respect.

deftoolsys07

I believe Roy is just your typical crackhead... Roy Biggins... Related to Tyrone Biggums... haha
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

RoyBiggins

@deftoolsys07 Big Roy doesn't use drugs. Cool joke though, The Roy can't stop laughing. Anyways if that is your picture on that soundcloud link, you need to try lifting some weights or a sandwich, talk about looking like a crackhead haha damn. ATKT. Absorb that, know that

slyartwork

Seriously people.... Where are the Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.....
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

lithium

💩

DeftonesNZ

Where's that from? looks like Self Titled era

lithium

💩

deftoolsys07

Obviously a bad night for Deftones... Chino is collapsing and Frank is performing CPR on someone...
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Playhouse

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 AM
Obviously a bad night for Deftones... Chino is collapsing and Frank is performing CPR on someone...
jesus man, didnt realise you were referencing that photo above.

nearly had a fucking heart attack. haha

lithium

the shows from that era where great imo.

anyone have any of those pictures? if i remember correctly they where hosted on their official website
💩

Penicks

Quote from: lithium on Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
the shows from that era where great imo.

anyone have any of those pictures? if i remember correctly they where hosted on their official website

it's also on the s/t cd-rom thingymajingy