Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones & Terry Date: what's the real deal ?

Started by Vesanic, May 02, 2010, 02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

I've been wondering something, lately. Lots of you know that Terry Date is and will always be the best producer for a sound such as Deftones'. The best records they put out were with him. He's the guy who made the melodies of Around the Fur sound that awesome, and all the other songs he produced for deftones.

If I'm correct, he producer Adrenaline ( except Fist ), Around the Fur, White Pony, Deftones.

I've got several questions now

What happened between the self-titled sessions and the Bob Ezrin sessions ? By that, I mean, why didn't Deftones keep up with Terry Date ? Did something happen in between ? And even when the project with Ezrin collapsed, why Shaun Lopez instead of Terry Date?

We also know that Terry Date was back on board to produce Eros. So, why didn't he produce Diamond Eyes ? It makes no sense, to me.

Shadow46/2

Speculatin', but:
Why no Terry after S/T: S/T didn't sell very well, so they thought a new producer could get them back on the top of their game. Change=growth school of thought.
Why no Terry for SNW instead of Shaun= too busy?
Why Eros not Diamond Eyes= too busy?

Just my guesses.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

There Will Be Blood

Well for what I know. Deftones never had a problem with him. Terry Date is like family to the Deftones. I just think they wanted to try something different for SNW. As for why Terry didn't produce Diamond Eyes, We don't know. Maybe he was unavailable at that time producing another album.  Diamond eyes was recorded so quickly so maybe they wanted someone at the moment and didn't want to wait for Terry. But I really don't think there is ANY tension or hard feeling between the band and Terry.

deftoolsys07

a very good question to be asked Tuesday before the live gig i'm gonna see.. if not answered i'll ask after the show
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Hidalgo

my guess is they just simply wanted to try something different, and i think they were kinda disappointed with s/t. DE turned out incredible without Terry. they don't need Terry, they just need pure focus and passion like they brought making DE

deftoolsys07

of course they don't NEED terry, but hell i'd be pissed if i was that close to the band being the 6th member and all, and they keep having other people work on the album

kurtone

didnt they say in an interview that the new producer helped them with their work ethic? i think during the Eros sessions Chino said they would play cards and bullshit for an hour or so before actually recording. if you watch the self titled extras terry date had to convince them to quit eating seeds and playing dominos to record. my guess is they used the new guy to get our of their comfort zone, and i would say it paid off.

SX King

Quote from: kurtone on May 02, 2010, 03:02 AM
didnt they say in an interview that the new producer helped them with their work ethic? i think during the Eros sessions Chino said they would play cards and bullshit for an hour or so before actually recording. if you watch the self titled extras terry date had to convince them to quit eating seeds and playing dominos to record. my guess is they used the new guy to get our of their comfort zone, and i would say it paid off.

I think thats a pretty fucking good theory

Vesanic

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on May 02, 2010, 02:55 AM
of course they don't NEED terry, but hell i'd be pissed if i was that close to the band being the 6th member and all, and they keep having other people work on the album

Totally... And even if they wanted something new, why taking again someone new to produce Diamond Eyes just when they had gone back to their roots with Terry on Eros ?

aj

Just speculating but maybe it was just a simple matter of scheduling?

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Vesanic on May 02, 2010, 03:55 PM
Totally... And even if they wanted something new, why taking again someone new to produce Diamond Eyes just when they had gone back to their roots with Terry on Eros ?

chino wasnt too happy with the outcome of eros.maybe the label didnt like it either.
if they were to try again, why not take in another producer.they obviously wanted a more catchy outcome

jesusinabowlofdirt

deftoolsys07

yeah i don't remember that ever being said. i thought he said they like eros and it has a special place in their heart or some shit, not that it sucked...

jesusinabowlofdirt

um.. latest kerrang anyone?

"Chino had issues with Eros, enjoying it's experimental edge but fearing its songwriting was too muddled. He wanted to improve that on what would become their new album, Diamond Eyes. At least part of the reason for that was because had come to a startling realisation. ''We needed to save our career'' he says. ''To be completely honest, I feel that if we had put out Eros, it could have been the end of our career"

"I think people still expect a certain amount of quality from us and I don't think the Eros record had that essence and quality''"

jesusinabowlofdirt

i only heard melanie and the studio clips, but they sounded great. they just wanted more radio friendly material this time. just because chino didnt like it doesnt not mean we wouldnt. it doesnt mean that at all.

Sushi-X

So if they put out Eros after DE, is it gonna be like s/t all over again, with a backlash of how DE was way better?

Rocket Skates '94

Hidalgo

that might be the reason they don't release it for a long time, if ever. they could just leak it sometime in the future and not claim it as a true album

Deftones-argentina

I guess they just needed to change the atmosphere, and that's why they didn't choose Terry, because they needed new energy, and not classic energy.

deftoolsys07

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on May 02, 2010, 06:20 PM
I guess they just needed to change the atmosphere, and that's why they didn't choose Terry, because they needed new energy, and not classic energy.

good point