Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favorite Deftones album?

Started by mikemerrett, May 11, 2010, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow46/2

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on May 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
Around the Fur.
I can totally feel every aspect of this album. It's a roller coaster of emotions and scenario's . It's an incredible narcissistic decent into a new era where  disillusioned youth gets perverted into a dark, bitter, stubborn place, where innocence is over and visceral passion takes over. Or at least that's my interpretation of it.  Every album after is a result of that change in attitude and psyche.
Everything down to the artwork reinforces my outlook on the record.

Beautifully stated.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

dopeybanana

Am I the only one that thinks that White Pony is overrated? I mean, it has a great bunch of songs on it and is probably way better than anything else of the same mold that came out at that time, but songs like Back to School make me cringe (that song simply does not belong in the 'tones' discography) and overall, it just doesn't have the same melancholic flow that the other albums have, so..

1. Deftones (Also one of my favorite records of all time. The first time I heard it, I couldn't make any sense of what seemed like an almost atonal vocal delivery, cacophonous instrumentation and overall bleak atmosphere but as I immersed myself in it a little more, it turned into a beautifully tangled, raw, emotional piece of art. In my mind, the s/t is a masterpiece.)

2. Around the Fur (The logical sonic predecessor to the s/t. I absolutely love the gloomy overtones and the abstract lyrics of songs like MOS and BQAD and vocally, this album showcases Chino at his best with his captivating melodies and anti-melodies.

3. Adrenaline (For some reason, this album sounds a little detached from the rest of their discography. I'm not a huge fan of the rapping segments but the punky energy makes up for all that and....DOSE RIFFS!)

4. Diamond Eyes (The song structures are simplified in terms of both length and progressivity. Overall, this has to be their most focused effort and the eight string chugging intertwined with Chino's soaring vocals is a great combo but it lacks depth and the free-form emotional rawness that makes Deftones tick.

5. Saturday Night Wrist (In contrast to DE, this has to be their most unfocused effort but it's got a great variety of fast and slow tunes. This is the sort of album they were going for on White Pony.)

6. White Pony ( The music was over-simplified on this one except for a few songs like Feticiera and overall, not a good follow-up to the much superior ATF. The songs just sound too dry and sterile when compared to what they're capable of. )
How neat, I'm impressed.
How did you come to be...so blessed?

bewareofrats

Saturday Night Wrist for the win.  Easily.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

N0S3BLEED976

White Pony
Saturday Night Wrist
Diamond Eyes
S/T
Around The Fur
Adrenaline

In that order.

Gee

Im curious to see how people will consider DE once Koi No Yokan is out.

Im guessing, better.

"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: Gee on Sep 07, 2012, 02:40 PM

Im guessing, better.
I hope so, people hated SNW and still do so

Gee

Quote from: OnyxPanicProne on Sep 07, 2012, 03:03 PM

Im guessing, better.

Well when you take a quick look at the votes in this thread, SNW does better than Adrenaline (which has to be an heresey for many) and DE, which I honestly dont understand.  :P

When I think about it its a shame Adrenaline's production sucks so much. I mean, its a coherent album with a lot of good songs on it  but that sound just ruins it for me. I'm sure some people find it charming and all, but I discovered the album in 2003 straight after I gave a listen to the S/T and...well, you know what I mean. Thats one of the reasons why I listen way more often to ATF than Adenaline -apart from the fact that songs on ATF are just simply better to me.

OnyxPanicProne

Quote from: Gee on Sep 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
Quote from: OnyxPanicProne on Sep 07, 2012, 03:03 PM

Im guessing, better.

Well when you take a quick look at the votes in this thread, SNW does better than Adrenaline (which has to be an heresey for many) and DE, which I honestly dont understand.  :P

When I think about it its a shame Adrenaline's production sucks so much. I mean, its a coherent album with a lot of good songs on it  but that sound just ruins it for me. I'm sure some people find it charming and all, but I discovered the album in 2003 straight after I gave a listen to the S/T and...well, you know what I mean. Thats one of the reasons why I listen way more often to ATF than Adenaline -apart from the fact that songs on ATF are just simply better to me.
Well its better than Like Linus production. It sounds like it was recorded with 1 microphone. But DE was the first Deftones record I listened to because my last favorite band covered Change and I loved it. So I downloaded the discography loved DE, then listened to SNW, got a boner, then ATF, WP, S/T, Adrenaline, and finally B-Sides and Rarities (Not all at once). Then I bought all of cd's, and I still have a boner.

Gee

Ah ah your listening order is even weirder than mine (WP, S/T, Adrenaline, ATF, and then release order).

But at least you got the ATF, WP, S/T progression right. It seems that the 97-2003 was their creative golden age.

But to me DE was really good, and I really appreciate it because of its background. I think Its a good album in itself, but watching the tones kicking it again with enthusiasm and passion -which I think you can really feel throughout the record, with that positive vibe going- after their worst possible era, makes the album even more important and enjoyable. When it was released I was really thinking "Hell yeah, theyre back". Plus its the start of something else -with Sergio coming in, etc- really exciting. Hopefully KNY won't disapoint.

OnyxPanicProne

I still think they are in their golden age. I feel like KNY will be the best album out of the bunch. Rosemary and Roller Derby are both amazing. I think it made it easier for me to love SNW because I had not heard any of the early stuff. It was extremely different from what I was used to and it made me realize there was so much better music out there. I do know why people dislike DE. It was the fastest album made so I think people just dont like that. It probably would have been better if they had had more time

rocketskates

Diamond Eyes is just simply an amazing album to me, I had ranked WP as my favorite from them for a while but DE passed it for me a while ago...I don't know how to explain, but to me, DE is just an amazing collection of energy and positivity every time that I listen to it. There isn't really a song off of it that I don't like...I love how the first 3 tracks set the pace, I love the sultry feel of YSTB, Beauty School always puts a smile on my face...I think Prince is my least favorite but still not what I would consider anything less than a "good" song...Rocket Skates never fails to energize me....I love the last 4 tracks as well...Sextape is one of my favorite 'Tones songs, and the last three songs flow so well to me. DE is not only my favorite Deftones albums, it's my favorite album period from the last few years in music, I would say. I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times front to back and it just never gets old.

dictatesofreason

now its around the fur, the whole album runs great together like a train, it has ups downs and before long its gone..has great opener and closer too..hmmm

Brandito27

I liked Snw the best(Yeah you read this correctly) , but their Self-titled is a close second. All of their albums are amazing, Diamond Eyes is probably my least favorite at the moment, but I think it just needs to age a little bit like a fine wine or something, then hopefully I'll come to appreciate it a bit more:p

laurapalmer

White Pony
Saturday Night Wrist
Diamond Eyes
Deftones
Around The Fur
Adrenaline

deftones47

S/T
Around the Fur
Diamond Eyes
White Pony
Adrenaline
Saturday Night Wrist

x Rx King x

I hate ranking them, because i love every single one more than life itself... but here goes nothing:

1.S/T
2.White Pony
3.ATF
4.Adrenaline
5.DE
6.SNW

Sett

Somehow I have the feeling that many people chose ATF as #1 just because Chino says it is. It's nice to see that SNW is also getting some love. Not the best album, but it' still good.

ZackND

1. around the fur  2. deftones   3. white pony  4. adrenaline  5. Saturday night wrist  6. diamond eyes

Visitant

1. Around the Fur
2. White Pony
3. Deftones
4. Adrenaline
5. Saturday Night Wrist
6. Diamond Eyes
"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

Flowb

1. ATF
2. Adrenaline
3. Diamond Eyes