Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favorite Deftones album?

Started by mikemerrett, May 11, 2010, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflyry

I never EVER thought I would change.

Thought ATF would be my fav Deftones album of all time.Hands down.Forever.

I guess shit changes, as does life, and I tend to now think ATF will always be my fav in regards to the memory of life when I was in my 20's.For me music is often a snapshot in time.Right now I can't compare any album to White Pony.I have personal connection and relevance with every song on that album atm.

Still vote Lotion as my fav song though.THAT will never change.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: fireflyry on Dec 06, 2012, 06:01 PM

I guess shit changes, as does life, and I tend to now think ATF will always be my fav in regards to the memory of life when I was in my 20's.For me music is often a snapshot in time.Right now I can't compare any album to White Pony.I have personal connection and relevance with every song on that album atm.

Still vote Lotion as my fav song though.THAT will never change.

That's funny because apparently I voted ATF in this poll too, and I didn't think that would change.  I could easily say Deftones is my favorite album now.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Braincleaner

Though i love every single album they have made i just have to say Diamond Eyes.
That album just hits me in another way than any album i've ever heard before for some reason.

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: Braincleaner on Dec 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Though i love every single album they have made i just have to say Diamond Eyes.
That album just hits me in another way than any album i've ever heard before for some reason.

Diamond Eyes is one of their better albums in my opinion. After ATF and White Pony it is probably next in line.

MuffBiscuits

Wow, this is difficult.

I find it hard to define what my favourite is. Someone mentioned a few pages back that your personal connection to an album outiside of the music itself has a lot to do with it, and they couldn't be more right.

Adrenaline is the one I listen to the least, but it holds fond memories for me and I like its raw aesthetic.

I have a deep connection with White Pony, played that to death when it came out, but in terms of song writing, I think ATF is better - in my opinion it's pretty much a perfect record, so incredibly consistent and immediate. But then in terms of consistency DE also comes damn close to that record, even if it doesn't provide as much emotional impact for me as some of their other releases.

Deftones is another one where I think the song-writing is one of the weaker elements, but the tone and overall flow of the thing is amazing, and for that reason it often it slips into first position for me.

SNW I struggle to connect with as a cohesive album, though I think it has some of their best individual moments on it.

Oh, and I also genuinely LOVE Koi No Yokan, definitely one of my favourites from them.

So, to conclude, I have no fucking clue.

Slacker

Quote from: MuffBiscuits on Dec 08, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wow, this is difficult.

I find it hard to define what my favourite is. Someone mentioned a few pages back that your personal connection to an album outiside of the music itself has a lot to do with it, and they couldn't be more right.

Adrenaline is the one I listen to the least, but it holds fond memories for me and I like its raw aesthetic.

I have a deep connection with White Pony, played that to death when it came out, but in terms of song writing, I think ATF is better - in my opinion it's pretty much a perfect record, so incredibly consistent and immediate. But then in terms of consistency DE also comes damn close to that record, even if it doesn't provide as much emotional impact for me as some of their other releases.

Deftones is another one where I think the song-writing is one of the weaker elements, but the tone and overall flow of the thing is amazing, and for that reason it often it slips into first position for me.

SNW I struggle to connect with as a cohesive album, though I think it has some of their best individual moments on it.

Oh, and I also genuinely LOVE Koi No Yokan, definitely one of my favourites from them.

So, to conclude, I have no fucking clue.

nice. i agree, ATF is such a refreshing classic. it has almost all of the elements that make deftones what it is, making the record a pinacle of consistent and cohesive material, to my eyes, their best.

WP is such an eclectic rollercoaster...although the success it got, i think it can only be really appreciated from afar.

i loved that '90s to 00' era, the band escalated awesomely.

the '00 has it great moments, but by no means its comparable to the first era.

what eros could have done, it is still a mistery.

all i know is that im looking forward for the 3rd instalment in this 3rd era, i think we might get a great one just again. i know this could sound really silly considering KNY has only been out for so much. still, i believe.

MuffBiscuits

Yeah, I get what you're saying. As I said, I love Koi No Yokan, but I appreciate their music in a different way these days, and I think different contexts with the different eras is important. I don't think their music has the intensity it used to, but they are still an amazing band, and i still love their music. Like you, I believe they still have another stone cold classic in them!

Reading my comment back, I guess ATF must be my favourite seeing as I described it as 'pretty much a perfect record' haha

TheyCallMeP

Recently:

White Pony
Deftones
Around The Fur (never thought that'd drop)
Diamond Eyes
Koi No Yokan
Adrenaline
Saturday Night Wrist

aeroplume

satuday night wrist.

probably KNY after that. theyre just all so freaking great.

nicklav

Voted ATF back then, but it's been S/T for a while now.

deftones47

I wish I could change my vote from S/T to Diamond Eyes.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: fireflyry on Dec 06, 2012, 06:01 PM

I could echo this same sentiment.

I don't really think in terms of favorite anything in life. Life is too short to be stuck on something and close minded. I love everything. Especially when it comes to deftones, they are the most consistent band. they're last two records got me back in to guitar music. I've always been more about, well I love everything, but I like lyrical, melodic and rhythmic music. reggae, new wave, r and b soul and so on.

I voted Self titled, because they're all equal to me, around the fur meant the most to me in a lot of ways forever, I could say the same about white pony, and these last two, but self titled is just a special place. 2003.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DJR

Im slowly now verging towards ST but SNW holds special place in my heart.

digital bath

Adrenaline (since I've listen tho the deftones, I never tought it would be my favorite album)
ATF
WP
B-Sides
KNY
S/T
DE
SNW

Eros TBA

As of 02/25/2017

'Around the Fur'

'Adrenaline'
'White Pony'
'Deftones'
'Gore'
'Saturday Night Wrist'
'Koi No Yokan'
'Diamond Eyes'

The Prodigy

Quote from: Eros TBA on Feb 25, 2017, 08:33 AM
As of 02/25/2017

'Around the Fur'

'Adrenaline'
'White Pony'
'Deftones'
'Gore'
'Koi No Yokan'
'Diamond Eyes'
'Saturday Night Wrist'
Diamond eyes... low very low!

BewareTheWater

I voted ATF because it's the album that got me into em, but I pretty much love em all equally. It changes depending on my mood.

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Inkblades

1. White Pony
2. Around the Fur
3. Deftones
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Gore
6. Saturday Night Wrist
7. Adrenaline
8. Koi No Yokan

I'm staunch on the top 3 and the bottom 2, but ranking gets tricky around SNW, DE and Gore. It could be different for me on any given day. That's how I'm feeling today, though.

LG95

^
That's pretty much my ranking, except Adrenaline's higher up, probably above Diamond Eyes.
I could float here forever