Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favorite Deftones album?

Started by mikemerrett, May 11, 2010, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

endoeleven

chick de la lynch

I'm going to have to say Around the Fur. It's a classic for me because that was the first Deftones record I bought. I was heavily into "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)" at the time, so I just went on a limb and bought it -- one of the best CD decisions I ever made. I fell in love with Chino's voice after that and Deftones became my favorite band (They still are). White Pony is great and a close second, but it wasn't the first Deftones album I bought.

I enjoy Adrenaline a lot, but it's the Deftones record I really don't listen to very often. I might pop it in my stereo once a year, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I think out of all of their albums, that one is probably the hardest to get into. Deftones have made solid, good albums but my least favorite is the S/T. I think it could have been put together better, and it's another album I really don't listen to all that much. I actually like Saturday Night Wrist a lot and I'm surprised many people don't. I thought it was put together very well and I was giddy with joy to find out Annie Hardy made an appearance on the record.

It's too soon for me to say anything about Diamond Eyes. It's fresh and new and that's the problem--it's fresh and new. Of course you're going to like it when it first comes out but until a year has passed, I really can't say much about the album.

nineteen

Suddenly really liked WP these last few days.

truthaddict

White Pony > Around The Fur > Diamond Eyes & Adrenalne & Deftones > Saturday Night Wrist

Right now I would put it like that, with DE, Adrenaline and Self Titled all tied for third place.  Diamond Eyes is working it's way up the list, though.

I fuck with that B-sides collection a lot, but cant count that as an album.

deftones86

I can see why some people like SNW it has a few good songs. i just listend to it all the way through for the first time in a long time not bad but, no where near their best.

pinkmaggit

So difficult to chose!
I think that all the albums are brilliant and have something special about them.
The only one I don't really like much is Adrenaline - I've only ever listened to it a few times.
You can really hea it's their debut, the songwriting just got better from there.
At the moment I'd go with ATF as my favourite - I never get tired of this album - I think it's absoloutely perfect.
A very close 2nd would be the self titled album.I think that it's so undderated.Sure maybe White Pony has more great songs but I just love the feel and atmosphere of ST.It's such a brutal,dark,powerful album - how some people can say it's dull is a mystery to me.
3rd place goes to Diamond Eyes.Nearly perfect but I think that the 2nd half is not as strong as the first and things get a little slow for me.There should have been a song before 976 to lift the pace a bit.I also feel that the interesting twists and turns as in other albums are missing.
4th place is a tie between WP and SNW.
I also think that SNW is underrated - it's also got such a great feel.You can really hear what the band was going through at the time.To me it's also very underrated.
White Pony is a brilliant album and if you look at it song for song it's probably the strongest but I think that the feel of the album is very important which is why I place the others higher.

nineteen

Adrenaline is a great skater record. Bad Brains crossed with some Quicksand and you got a quick and snappy sort of album!

AroundThePonyDK

Quote from: nineteen on May 20, 2010, 07:08 AM
Adrenaline is a great skater record. Bad Brains crossed with some Quicksand and you got a quick and snappy sort of album!
Agreed and i choose Adrenaline too.

the deft ones

For what it's worth:
1. White Pony (was amazed with the progression from ATF, while still keeping their trademark sound + lyrics and mood really matched where I was at at that time)
2. Around the Fur (The first Deftones I OWNED, and really loved)
3. Diamond Eyes (so stoked they found their form again - was starting to wonder if it would ever happen)
3. Adrenaline (first deftones I heard)
4. (like) linus (can we count this?)
5. S/T (was somewhat disappointed at first due to lack of afforementioned progression - but have come to really love it)
6. SNW (really dig this album - but it cant compare to the others coz it just seems to be lacking something. Although am starting to appreciate it even more since Diamond Eyes)

dictatesofreason

man idk why ppl think WP is SOOOO great..
its ridiculus i mean half the fans around only heard about the 'Tones cuz of change..

whatev..

1. Around the Fur
2.Diaomond Eyes
3.Adrenaline
3.White Pony
5. Saturday Night Wrist
6.Lovers

godin

SO CLOSE between Diamond Eyes and White Pony BUT white pony has to take it because of its timelessness thus far. we will see how DE holds up
Dingus.

Penicks

Quote from: dictatesofreason on May 24, 2010, 02:10 AM
its ridiculus i mean half the fans around only heard about the 'Tones cuz of change..

As did I but does that make less of a fan? WP isn't my favorite.

aj

Quote from: dictatesofreason on May 24, 2010, 02:10 AM

in my honest opinion, it's because when it came out, summer of 2000, it was at least 20 years ahead of its time. If you listen to that album in context, and by that I mean put yourself in your own shoes in that year and consider all the other music in the "genre" around at the time, it will blow your fucking mind. What the band did with THAT album was un-fucking-believable, I can't even describe how groundbreaking it is.

I remember borrowing the album off my friend that summer, listening to the opening few tracks and my initial thought was that it didn't sound like anything that belonged on our planet at the time. 10 years later and I still think it's futuristic.

I don't think the other albums are bad. If it weren't for White Pony, the band wouldn't get half the criticism they have done in the three follow up albums. But like I said, WP is just so groundbreaking, I don't think anything the band will ever do can live up to it.

I am sorry if that sounded a bit muddled!

Oh and my order:

1. WP
2. ATF
3. S/T
4. Adrenaline
5. Diamond Eyes
6. SNW

BUT, Diamond Eyes will probably move up that list in the next few years, it just needs time to mature, like a good cheese or a fine wine.

Crushinglydolem

1. Saturday Night Wrist
2. Diamond Eyes
3. White Pony
4. Deftones
5. Around The Fur
6. Adrenaline

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: truthaddict on May 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
White Pony > Around The Fur > Diamond Eyes & Adrenalne & Deftones > Saturday Night Wrist

Right now I would put it like that, with DE, Adrenaline and Self Titled all tied for third place.  Diamond Eyes is working it's way up the list, though.

I fuck with that B-sides collection a lot, but cant count that as an album.

Around The Fur > Saturday Night Wrist > Deftones > Adrenaline > White Pony > Diamond Eyes
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

100Modem

1- Around the Fur
2- White Pony
3- Diamond Eyes
4- SNW
5- ST
6- Adrenaline

theis

Motherfuckin' Diamond Eyes.

Electron§

It seems in the polls White Pony, Around the Fur, and self titled are all getting the most respect.

TheyCallMeP

My opinion:

1. Around the Fur - Love everything about it and it was the album that got me into the group. Has slower moments like Mascara (favorite song) and Dai the Flu to more intense songs like Lotion, Rickets, and Head Up. Mx and BQAD get stuck in my head for days at a time and lhabia plus My Own Summer open the record nicely, this one wins for me.

2. Deftones - I went back and forth between this album and White Pony but self-titled barely edges it out. Its darker, heavier yet still having its softer moments, and the song structures on this are more unique than other Deftones records (in my opinion anyway. Deathblow and Battleaxe especially, I guess Lucky You is in its own category too). Bloody Cape is amazing, plus WGTB, Minerva, and Hexagram this just edges White Pony.

3. White Pony - I can listen to every single song through and not bitch about anything.  Feiticera kicks ass (who knows if I spelled that right), Digital Bath, all the way through til Pink Maggit and Boys Republic. Street Carp is catchy as all hell. This record shifted their sound and I was all about it. Oh, and this is my favorite album to get down with a chick to.

4. Saturday Night Wrist - I use to not like this record much in terms of the group's other recordings, but I can't deny that it has grown on me. My only two speed bumps in this album are Cherry Waves (hate the chorus) and Beware (something about it just doesn't seem right to me, don' know what it is) but that being said the record kicks ass as a whole. From konami code on, this record is great.

5. Diamond Eyes - This album, I have mixed feelings on it. I love the songs on it, have no complaints about the production, like the lyrics, but I just find myself playing it less than the other records by them. B-sides and Rarities gets more attention from me but this album isn't shit in the least. Maybe it needs more time to grow on me, who knows.

6. Adrenaline - In all seriousness, probable ties Diamond Eyes in the rankings. I listen to this record more than Diamond Eyes but usually not the whole way through most times. Love Minus Blindfold, Fireal, and Birthmark and the rap delivery in the lyrics is even cool with me,Engine No. 9 is good shit. I will say this album changes the most in terms of my favorites depending on what mood I'm in.

rock_n_frost

where's eros..i wanna vote dat
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone