Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who Killed Music?

Started by SX King, May 12, 2010, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SX King

I think i have officially given up on new music. The only new stuff i like is from bands that have been around for awhile and worst of all im still young. Anybody else have this problem?

mr.sinister

Yeah most "new" bands do suck. But once in awhile a band will have an amazing debut album that will surprise me.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

You can thank that to Lady Gaga, Britney spears, Jonas brothers, Milley cyrus and all that "music" that is on conventional radios around the globe.

SX King

Quote from: mr.sinister on May 12, 2010, 06:04 AM
Yeah most "new" bands do suck. But once in awhile a band will have an amazing debut album that will surprise me.

You have any suggestions?

There Will Be Blood

Starz

I sometimes go through this period. Last year I did anyway. I thought 2009 sucked for music. But this year so far has been great (even if Deftones didn't release new CD) and I'm sure you'll find a new band who will restore your faith in music again...

The Post-Rock/Ambient thread is a great place to start for new music So is the Leak and Request threads. For example, I discovered this band yesterday: http://www.myspace.com/missenttodenmark who I think are great!

Music isn't dead. Its just so easy to make music on the cheap at home now that everyone thinks they can do it. And I agree, a lot of these 'new' bands suck but hang in there and you'll discover some of the better stuff out there...

lostpilot

money killed most of the music

An bád dubh

Theres a lot of awesome new music out there. I can recommend some if ya tell me what kind of stuff youre looking for.

theis

There's still lots of great music out there. You just gotta dig deep to find the gold.

Sushi-X

I know that feeling. I'll look at new stuff as just derivative shit and not give it a listen. And then I stumble upon something awesome and realize it was released just a year or two back.

I think another major problem with music nowadays is that people don't give it time to grow on them. If it doesn't sound great on the first play then it gets erased.

Rocket Skates '94

lostpilot

Quote from: MxKnife on May 12, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think another major problem with music nowadays is that people don't give it time to grow on them. If it doesn't sound great on the first play then it gets erased.

a very very good point.

An bád dubh

Quote from: lostpilot on May 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Quote from: MxKnife on May 12, 2010, 02:51 PM

a very very good point.
Gotta agree with ya both.

Corleone

mtv, rappers, pop singers, hollywood

SX King

Quote from: Starz on May 12, 2010, 09:09 AM
I sometimes go through this period. Last year I did anyway. I thought 2009 sucked for music. But this year so far has been great (even if Deftones didn't release new CD) and I'm sure you'll find a new band who will restore your faith in music again...

The Post-Rock/Ambient thread is a great place to start for new music So is the Leak and Request threads. For example, I discovered this band yesterday: http://www.myspace.com/missenttodenmark who I think are great!

Music isn't dead. Its just so easy to make music on the cheap at home now that everyone thinks they can do
it. And I agree, a lot of these 'new' bands suck but hang in there and you'll discover some of the better stuff out there...

Good looking out

ben

This thread is ridiculously stupid.  As Theis said, there is plenty of new music that is good. 

nintendoXO

I dont think anyone actually killed muisc, You just have to look for it.

SX King

First off who killed the music was more of an expression. Im just saying i' ll check out all these new bands that people think are so good and personally i think they suck. I love all types a music but its pretty damn hard to find new stuff that makes me not wanna shoot myself 20 secs into it

wax

Quote from: SX King on May 12, 2010, 05:45 AM
Who Killed Music?

the internet   there's good music out there you just have to look    only thing is the typical 'rock' format of 6 string guitar, bass, drum kit, and sometimes keys is limited i think to what bands can and actually do creatively  its been a formula for over 1/2 a century now and is an arbitrary collection of instruments to produce a certain type of music that does do a lot of copying and not enough innovating

Sushi-X

Quote from: SX King on May 12, 2010, 05:55 PM
First off who killed the music was more of an expression. Im just saying i' ll check out all these new bands that people think are so good and personally i think they suck. I love all types a music but its pretty damn hard to find new stuff that makes me not wanna shoot myself 20 secs into it

Eh don't mind stuff like that. Most people on here find other member's threads to be stupid. just ignore them.

You should cruise around SL. you could get lucky and find an awesome band.

Rocket Skates '94

Sushi-X

Quote from: wax on May 12, 2010, 07:04 PM
Quote from: SX King on May 12, 2010, 05:45 AM
Who Killed Music?

the internet   there's good music out there you just have to look    only thing is the typical 'rock' format of 6 string guitar, bass, drum kit, and sometimes keys is limited i think to what bands can and actually do creatively  its been a formula for over 1/2 a century now and is an arbitrary collection of instruments to produce a certain type of music that does do a lot of copying and not enough innovating

this +

it doesn't help when you got hipster bloggers who quickly move on to what's new and trendy. While the majority of the mainstream music media clings on to the old bands from the 60's and 70's or whatever flavor of the month talentless idiot is hot at the moment. To them nothing will ever compare to those classic artists. Which most of us know they're just full themselves for thinking that way.

Rocket Skates '94