Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Who Killed Music?

Started by SX King, May 12, 2010, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Quote from: MxKnife on May 12, 2010, 07:04 PM
You should cruise around SL. you could get lucky and find an awesome band.
exactly. i've come across dozens and dozens of bands that i love, just because of other people on this board suggesting them.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

An bád dubh

Quote from: ben on May 12, 2010, 05:06 PM
This thread is ridiculously stupid.  As Theis said, there is plenty of new music that is good. 
I said it before Theis.

goldpony

I agree with the internet killing music but also have to put the record companies on notice too. their shortsighted attempts at keeping music OFF the internet did more harm than good, so now they spend less on original talent and more on auto-tuned fembots that they can make a quick buck off of. i find that trying to find new music in the sea of the interwebs incredibly frustating. Is it wrong i liked the old times when there were filters to the music and only the best got through?

BTW, totally agree with looking to SL for new stuff. you guys have turned me on to more new music than i can actually listen too!
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

SX King

Quote from: MxKnife on May 12, 2010, 07:04 PM
Quote from: SX King on May 12, 2010, 05:55 PM
First off who killed the music was more of an expression. Im just saying i' ll check out all these new bands that people think are so good and personally i think they suck. I love all types a music but its pretty damn hard to find new stuff that makes me not wanna shoot myself 20 secs into it

Eh don't mind stuff like that. Most people on here find other member's threads to be stupid. just ignore them.

You should cruise around SL. you could get lucky and find an awesome band.

Will do

wax

The Raconteurs - "Internet Killed The Video Star" MTV Music Video Awards   

with the www people can find out just about anything from just about anybody or people in the band themselves at any time.... the rock star has lost its mystique over the years imo     like so what how someone in a band likes their eggs how they like bubble baths etc   it was  a lot funner when bands were bigger than life....

ben

Quote from: An bád dubh on May 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
This thread is ridiculously stupid.  As Theis said, there is plenty of new music that is good. 
I said it before Theis.

haha sorry.

raynor

ok, so here's a big prejudice attack which is usually the case when it comes to these sort of topics:

Maybe widen your horizon beyond TOOL, Jane's Addiction, 90's nu-metal, Will Haven and Glassjaw.

There I said it.

ben

Yea it seems like a lot of people are stuck in a 1999 timewarp around here...

SX King

I listen to all types of music man. After i posted this i have come across a few bands that im digging on. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

blindead

Music has "died" so many times throughout history. Comparing today's music with every piece of music made up until this point is a bit unfair in my oppinion, since... the time-span of "music not made today" is somewhat longer than "music made today"... It's also easy to forget that a lot of rather shitty music has been made before, but it's the bands and albums that somehow stood the test of time that is remembered. I might be harder than ever before to find the great new music in the flood of information that is the internet. One problem with declaring music dead is that what is good music of course is a matter of personal taste, and if you think otherwise i would be greatly amused to see a scientific model to determine if music is good or not presented. If one's preference is exclusively, say, rock from the 60s or late 80s techno, then yes, music is indeed dead.

On a side note: Lady Gaga is the shit.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: blindead on May 13, 2010, 05:20 PM
On a side note: Lady Gaga is the shit.

She is great, and it's disappointing to see a lot of hate for her on this board.

I used to think a lot of people on this board had a diverse taste in music. Looking at this thread now, I think many people really are stuck in 1999 and that's really depressing.

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

endoeleven

Sushi-X

I'm sorry but there is nothing great about lady gaga. If it weren't for her outfits she wouldn't be getting all that attention.

Rocket Skates '94

sing blue silver

there is TONS of fantastic music from all genres coming out now a days. it just sucks that it's vastly outweighed by shit on the radio and tv. frankly though i'm glad my favorite bands get little to no airplay. i like feeling like i'm on the ground floor of something that will be big down the road and really stand the test of time. you just have to know where to look i guess. lots of good music gets thrown around on this board, some crap too but mostly good stuff.

dawg

the music industry got lazy but still takes everything for granted.
and still they are wasting money like in the old days!

An bád dubh

Quote from: wither-I on May 14, 2010, 03:41 AM
This thread is ridiculously stupid.  As Theis said, there is plenty of new music that is good.  
And now someone is even quoting you saying that ben. This is how false history is created. Someone says something right after someone else says it first, then someone quotes that person, and then another person quotes the person quoting that person. And the original first time sayer is left without his 15 seconds of glory.

Edit. And now I quoted it too, great.

An bád dubh

Anyways, yeah, as chick de la lynch said (or was it raynor, nuckas), people are stuck with their favorite bands from whatever era in their life, and whatever that bands releases is just freaking awesome in their opinion and surpasses everything that any other band has done at the same time. That sucks.

But on the other hand, people get emotionally attached to music which has been a big part of a change in their life, or a difficult/great period (and Im not talking about that time of the month).

As a conclusion theres nothing wrong with people listening to old music, I see the biggest problem of people really overvaluing the stuff their favorite band from 1995 releases in 2009.

Someone has to say it, or ask it right now: is Deftones really that awesome in 2010? Are the new albums really that great? Are they the albums of the year? Deftones was my favorite band (or at least in top 5) still back in 2003, but times change yo, people change.

Yeah. Thats about it.

wax

Quote from: An bád dubh on May 14, 2010, 04:02 PM

Someone has to say it, or ask it right now: is Deftones really that awesome in 2010? Are the new albums really that great? Are they the albums of the year? Deftones was my favorite band (or at least in top 5) still back in 2003, but times change yo, people change.

Yeah. Thats about it.
de is my 2nd fav after wp. ....

ben

No, Deftones is pretty great in 2010.